Im a BM hunter and there are still too many keys to press

I was told that BM hunter was easy, but there are still way to many keys. What has less keys to press?

Whatever I play I want to use the best I can.

Will to survive key (unstun human)
Kill shot key
disengage key
3 different keys for traps
barbed key
cobra key
shot key
multi shot key
cheetah key
beast key
intimidation key
turtle key
flare key
hunters mark key.

I can keep going, but there are so many keys compared to classic. What is easier?

9 Likes

Vengenance DH has the least amount of keys, I think, to play the spec more than well in anything up to the most blistering and tryhard of content.

Edit - Just saw the classic quip…there are absolutely no specs that play as easy as any spec in Classic. The game just was not mechanically demanding in any sense of the word back then.

7 Likes

Why dont you count the log in key, the hearth key and map key if youre just going to list everything when you aren’t using most of those keys on a regular basis

43 Likes

demon hunter has the least amount of keybinds ive come across. i actually dont have my action bars filled, but all my other specs get filled up no matter what.

What content do you think DOESN’T warrant those keys? I haven’t played a hunter since mid/late BfA and even I can think of any given mythic+ dungeon and think of an active use case for every one of those spells except arcane shot (which I assume is “shot key”)

Granted “flare” is situational (spires post 1st boss comes to mind primarily or to active the one legendary) and hunters mark I thought I read no longer offers nothing inpactful now for PvE (may be wrong here).

I also am guessing “beast” key is either pets or the pet ability like bloodlust/hero but could be wrong here. There is even a notable missing one in misdirect which is hugely beneficial if you got capable DPSers and are a weaker frontloaded DPS tank like a DK or bear.

2 Likes

Just hit what lights up, and suddenly you’re 2k dps higher.

6 Likes

Should just play a warrior. All we do is smash the keyboard with our fists.

Seriously though, figure out a rotation that works for you, and stick to it until it becomes memory. I don’t use Hunters Mark, rarely use the flare, forget about the turtle all the time unless I’m taking some serious dmg, cheetah is used after I use disengage (backward jump, then quick spin and boost), traps are eh if you have a decent tank pet (looking at you Griever), etc.

Just because an ability is in your spell book, doesn’t mean you are required to use it. :slight_smile:

Re: Griever -

5 Likes

Open with barbed, kill command when available, barbed when available, beastial wrath on cooldown. Cobra shot when theres nothing else to do.

You are overthinking things atm. Just focus on those and the rest comes easy.

5 Likes

I never use hunters mark any longer. Rarely use the traps, just occasionally if I want to slow down a mob, or nail a particular something for a bit. Rarely if ever use the flare. The rest, well, even then many keys never get used.

Multi shot doesn’t do much, turtle you only use once in a rare while - if you get nailed or something, which if you have a good tanking pet or a good ferocity pet should not be happening.

Arcane shot, kill shot, cobra, barbed and the key you call beast are basically your only ones you will use most of the time. Disengage is handy on occasion, I do however try not to need it. So with positioning and planning it’s not a key I use very often.

Go Ferocity pet and then you can use misdirection on your pet and it will also tank.

There are some situations where the other keys are needed so nice to have them there ready for use. But just questing or doing normal dungeons you aren’t going to need a bunch of those abilities.

I think BM is the easiest class and spec to play. That said I haven’t played my DH’s much so can’t really comment on that.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Sorry but I gotta ask, do you have auto shot key bound? because you can remove that one and just right click mobs or let some other attack start your auto shot. I ask because you list “shot” as one of your key binds

also your list is missing kill command and feign death, you should have both of those bound to something.

3 Likes

If you are having to hunt for your BMs I suggest that you quit messing around on these forums and get to a doctor as soon as possible as that can be life-threatening over time.

2 Likes

A lot of these are highly situational.

I use macros to stack the buffs that are not on the GCD into one button press.

Arcane Shot and Hunter’s Mark I never use anymore, and Flare only when asked.

1 Like

I’m scared to recommend frost mage, I’ll get a page and a half of teleports and portals alone.

2 Likes

But super easy travel!

Signed,
A Frost Mage

1 Like

You might like Arcane mage. It’s like 1 and a half keys.

2 Likes

You … are misinformed. People could rattle off 10-20 specs that are over-buttoned for SL. Thankfully BM is not one of them. Every time someone in the hunter forum starts clammoring for redesign I politely go after them telling them that they don’t know what they are asking for. Nearly every spec/class that got reworked for SL became a hellish over-buttoned landscape. Luckily, BM has escaped this.

BM is literally one of the few specs/classes I play where I can setup the bars to be very efficient and actually have good spacing between the abilities for clear and quick use.

If you need help, make a real plea here, drop a discord, and I’ll send you some screenshots or chat or something.

You don’t have to use everything in your rotation every time.

1 Like
3 Likes

I mean, there is literally a one-button macro you can make for your entire DPS rotation … barring circumstantial abilities you have to press (ie, turtle), it has to be the easiest class in the game.