If you could take any franchise and make a WoW style MMO?

It is in life support mode. They did a relaunch event where they kind of changed the mechanics in an attempt to save it. They didn’t need to add the new combat… they just had to fix it and the god damn tank controls. As well as actually pump out content.

Makes me really, really salty when people keep calling FFXIV the best story mmo. TSW was that. They were just a bunch of writers who didn’t know how to make an mmo, let alone a game.

As far as I know there haven’t been any new chapters.

My druid already does this.

The lack of lasagna in this game is disturbing.

Fair enough, it’s been…years and years.

So hey, at least I can still go back to it and maybe get something out of it.

:smiley:

1 Like

Asimov’s Foundation universe. Arkady Darrell is partly the inspiration for this character.

The stories are still there, and still good! The new hub is something to see if you hadn’t seen it since the Legends launch.

Legend of Dragoon.

2 Likes

Mortal Kombat

1 Like

Lord of the Rings.

LOTRO is nice and I had an incredible time levelling, but it’s outdated. And pairing my favorite franchise with my favorite MMO, would make me want to never leave my room.

1 Like

Tales of the Malazan Empire. A long fantasy series by Steven Erikson.

Mortals, ascendants, gods… it has it all.

1 Like

Final Fantasy…wait, hear me out…Tactics.

And no, FF14 does not count as an Ivalice MMO. I’m talking political intrigue, heretics, church coverups, REAL DARK stuff. Less FF12 and more Vagrant Story. Sure, there could be moogles, viera and bangaa, but the focus would be on the dark DARK story.

Alternatively, I regularly day dream of a brawler MMO based either on The Warriors or River City Ransom.

2 Likes

Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Pool of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, Secret of the Silver Blades, Dragonlance campaign setting, Darksun campaign setting(2e), Ravenloft campaign setting, The Underdark before the “Drow are evil because demons :roll_eyes:” changes. Uhhhhhh Shining South from 3.0(or 3.5 can’t remember which). Yeah, huge D&D nerd.

1 Like

I would love to play a "new’ WoW version that looks like this…

I’ve tried some others games and I just go, “This isn’t wow.” :pleading_face:

If we’re nominating Transformers, let’s also add G.I. Joe and Masters of the Universe. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://spikeybits.com/2021/05/gw-announces-warhammer-the-lineup.html

Now… as far as a MMO… I dunno. I haven’t cared much for the way ranged combat is done in MMOs. Also there’s the whole issue of vehicle combat. Certain races shouldn’t be allowed to be PC (Tyranids, Necrons, Drukari) and there’s going to be the questionable content that is fine in a small player game but once it becomes big… more focus on “questionable” content happens and the sanitation begins.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that games that have brilliant looking backgrounds and scenery… forget that games are supposed to be enjoyable to play… not just look at.

I wonder how far you could push the Unreal Engine thou. Would a MMO play well on it?

2 Likes

That series broke me. I almost made it through, too.

It’s still mind-boggling that that franchise has been a beloved cult classic for like thirty years and nobody has done anything with it. A remake like FF7 would make a billion dollars.

1 Like

I miss that game… I’m actually surprised it never was rereleased as a classic game.

1 Like

Bleach. I don’t know if the existing lore is enough though…

DBZ mmo
Pokemon mmo
Zelda mmo
Kingdom Hearts mmo
Game of Thrones mmo
Fable mmo

I think the Judge, Law, and Guild systems of the hand-held games could make for a very interesting MMO-experience. And yes, I realize you’re talking about War of the Lions, but I think you could actually blend the lore and tone of War of the Lions in with some of the FFTA stuff. Like, the corrupt artisocracy use the various guild wars as an outlet for the pressures building in the peasantry, and use confusing and corrupt laws enforced by their Judges in order keep any threats to their regime off-balance.

Game-play wise, I think it’d make for a pretty interesting game world - the Hunt systems, the various guild wars that can spontaneously break out between competing factions with the various different rules creating dynamic encounters, the outlying lawless zones having a gritter and ruthless feel to them (open PvP zones?), etc.

Obviously this will never happen since Square Enix is running an FF MMO right now, but I think a more down-to-Earth story-line about corrupt nobles, hidden demons, and mythical monsters and machines could be a change of pace from most of these MMOs. Right now the FF MMO has the players trying to swap 13 different universes being destroyed and that’s just an absurd scale.