If you could take any franchise and make a WoW style MMO?

I’d also play a WoW version where the events in TBC never happened and the world developed without this overarching intergalactic human planet stories are hanging above our heads.

Fire Emblem.

Maybe I can then play an offensive light wielder.

I’m flipping the premise. I want a Warcraft: Total War game.

2 Likes

Definitely “Hello Kitty” and maybe set the mmo on an island somewhere as an adventure.

2 Likes

Why? Warhammer is way better with factions and commanding large armies.

Torn between Starcraft and World of Darkness.

I’ve always wanted to play a Hydralisk in first person, plus there are 3 factions in Starcraft instead of two; And vampires vs werewolves never gets old to me, especially with all the bloodlines involved. Throw in Spirits for a third faction, even.

2 Likes

ESO is super fun imo.

I’d go more SWG style sandbox open world MMO with starcraft. Take out EVE like WoW took out evercrack by being a more accessible version.

1 Like

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Final Fantasy 9 (that game was SO good up until the story/plot got kinda weird towards the end of disc 3. The end boss was also a big wtf :man_facepalming:

So you’d want to play a completely different IP that wasn’t Warcraft at all?

WoW has had numerous worlds since Warcraft 2, and in Warcraft 3 we saw how alien Outland was and the advanced technology of the Legion.

Deleting TBC would change nothing, because TBC didn’t add Outland, it simply allowed it to be explored in the MMO.

1 Like

Game of Thrones. I think the world could be done beautifully.

Mass Effect. But it would be more a Star Wars Galaxies style MMO where you could be combat-focused or be a trader, scientist/researcher, explorer, information broker etc and still have a viable endgame path open to you.

2 Likes

The Dragon Age franchise would probably be my first choice.

3 Likes

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

You could play as Gelflings and podling resisters or Skesis collaborators.

Pokemon. Easy.

I would have a farm of Sunkerns :sunflower:

It would have PvP with a ladder system, Housing, Dressup, Community. There’s a lot that could work in a Pokemon MMO.

1 Like

D&D Dark Sun setting or Shadowrun

Edit: also Earthdawn and Gamma World. I’m a sucker for non-tradional and mixed genre fantasy settings.

3 Likes

Basically it would be rewriting WoW’s lore because Outland in this IP would never have been able to been explored. Instead we would’ve just gotten more Azeroth stories.

The titans in Northrend wouldn’t be a thing. Any references to the outland where the orcs came from wouldn’t exist. The portal would be between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Set scene from there.

I don’t know about completely non-combat classes, but I do think a Mass Effect MMO would work really well in terms of having this universe with people roaming around mining of various different planets. The first game already lays the foundation for the lore of roaming around gathering raw materials, uncovering Prothean artifacts, etc. And maybe as you’re driving around you get an alert to a world quest to go kill some Thresher Maw or whatever.

So a different IP.

Just ask for Warhammer if you want Warhammer. Draenor is pretty much the most important place in the game’s lore, above and beyond Northrend realistically. Draenor is basically where the whole drama of the series started all things considered.

2 Likes

Hard to say…

The one thing a lot of the suggestions here do that WoW doesn’t is take an existing franchise and make the game wholly irrelevant by setting it in a past time period of said franchise.

Congratulations, your game’s narrative is now 100% meaningless.

WoW, whatever you want to say about it, isn’t a foregone conclusion. It isn’t a slave to its own place in history, there’s no inviolable future state that dictates the outcomes, and there’s no expiration on the gravitas of its content.

That’s a problem for a lot of franchises - they don’t want their movies/past installments/next non-mmo installments to have to give two farts about the mmo freakshow on the side, so they just set it in a time without impact on whatever else they’re doing. Convenient, but it makes the MMO largely irrelevant within its own property.

I guess off the top of my head, in this arena I’d have to go with StarCraft. It doesn’t well fit the MMO mold in terms of a diverse set of “roughly equal/even” races to choose from with comparable items/tech to share, but it is a franchise I could see going full time MMO.

In WoW’s style? Starcraft, probably.

But I would absolutely love a How to Train Your Dragon MMO in the same line of thinking as WoW.

1 Like