If you could have EverQuest 3 or WoW 2

Mark Jacobs was and maybe still is working on Camelot Unchained. It was crowdfunded. It’s looking like vaporware at this point and stuck in development hell. It was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot.

IDK Ive never played EQ but i did dabble in EQOA and if it was anything like its big brother it was the epitome of “Endless grinding” camping at a site and killing the same 6 Deathfist orcs over and over and over for hours to level up.

I enjoy the way wow lets you get decent xp from questing. A mixture of both games would be nice i suppose

There was an event that allowed you to be monsters for a time. It was hilarious good fun until everyone ended up being a monster and there were only like 1 or 2 players repeatedly dying. You could even get to be a Sand Giant in Oasis. I think it was a Halloween event but I’m not sure.

Zoning into Unrest or Mistmore with 30 mobs piled up and dying nearly instantly was definitely a thing.:laughing:

3 Likes

I think they tried to do an EverQuest 3 and it failed, miserably.

People even preordered to try to help get it started.

Someone thinks we will all still be around in 2028? I was thinking we would all be living in a Mad Max type of wasteland or something.

1 Like

EQ3 only if it had EQ2 housing and tradeskills
its sad i will never be able to experience again my first time logging onto EQ1 and seeing this type of game before and being blown away

2 Likes

EA had rights at one point to make EQ2.

Dark Age of Camelot 2.

Or a finished Warhammer Online?

mad at EA

1 Like

WoW 2. Familiar is good, and I’ve never been an Everquest player.
That said, I’m not gonna pretend that I have any faith in Blizzard being able to make a WoW 2 that isn’t just an exaggerated version of the unpopular decisions they’ve already made with current WoW.

1 Like

I only remember Sony Online Entertainment being involved with EQ 1/2 over the years. Well, other than 989 Studios, Verant Interactive, and finally Daybreak Games.

1 Like

It was recently acquired from Daybreak Games by Enad Global 7 in December of 2020. They have put out 30 expansions for Ever Quest and Ever Quest 2 has put out 19 expansions and 3 adventure packs.

Correct, in EQ heyday the best they claimed was 450,000 active subscriptions at one time.

Yes, it was Ever Quest Next with Landmark as the player driven development program for making assets that could earn you real money if the assets were used by players if the game went live. It had a trailer that looked next level and explained a lot of the upcoming features the game would have.

Sadly, it got canceled because the developers said it was not fun to create it (they bit off more than they could chew with what they wanted to create).

2 Likes

EQ3, I wouldn’t trust Micro-Blizz to make WoW 2 without completely bungling it…

1 Like

Hard to say.

I loved EQ for the people I build relationships with. They migrated to WoW and I followed.

Now that whole crew has left WoW and most do not game at all (that I’m aware of)

Bottom line is I don’t really think I could duplicate that kind of social dynamic because MMOs will never feel that new again. Back then we all were cutting edge just by virtue of playing in the early days. It was all so fresh and eye-opening. Now gaming is quite mainstream and pedestrian by comparison.

It would take something equally earth-shatteringly new to pull me from the inertia of this place and get me started on anything else.

For example, I’ve dabbled in Virtual Reality a bit. Rec Room and VRChat - offer social experiences where users can interact and hang out with each other in real-time. Thats kinda cool but its not prime-time ready in my view. As someone said not long ago, “VR has been five minutes away from some kind of breakthrough for about eight years.”

I also dabbled in Augmented Reality… you remember… parks and plazas swarming with smartphone-wielders playing Pokémon Go , an AR mobile game in which digital objects - in this case, critters called Pokémon - overlay a person’s natural field of view. That was fun for a week or two then I went back to Warcraft. AR as it stands today just isn’t that immersive (IMO)

The one thing that might tempt me is artificial intelligence being broadly applied. I’m a big fan of the fact PvP never gets old (even on 15 year old maps) because every time you do a match your thinking breathing opposition does something different.

On a small scale, imagine if in WoW a rogue NPC could decide to shirk its duty to help the player advance toward the next level or take the player on a nonsensical quest where nothing happens. That might on one hand be frustrating but free range NPCs might also “boldly lead you where no player has gone before”. Also ponder a raid where you couldn’t memorize the dance that raids are because every time you went in something very different happened. Will that be part of our future here? Dunno.

Putting more sophisticated NPCs in games may be possible. But if it costs a lot of money and fails to improve the player’s experience, studios lose an incentive to make it happen.

Also, players might rebel against the idea of unpredictable dynamic raid bosses that one week go after the tank and the next week slaughter the healer instead and the third week offer to just give your raid a bucket of trinkets if you will just leave him alone.

Yeah, I guess I would try anything (WoW2 or EQ3 or whatever) that used procedural content generation to create dynamic game interactions - sometimes randomly - so the player can enjoy a fresh experience each time they play through a new lockout or leveled a new alt.

That would mix it up enough I’d drop what I’m doing and dive into something new.

2 Likes