If you are considering the new Nvidia card, watch this first

I watch a variety of tech channels consistently. From AdoredTV, to Bitwit, to Hardware Unboxed, LTT (I’m sorry, but the Wonnock crash vid was great reality TV), Jayztwocents, Gamers Nexus… AND Moore’s Law is Dead.

Critically speaking, I have found Moore’s Law to have better sourcing for his information than most any of those… and he has made a point of calling it like he sees it. So when this vid posted last night, given the title… I was of course interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtfNcm45xk

Now obviously, take what he has with a grain of salt. It is possible that he is wrong. However, given Nvidia’s past… we can’t really rule it out either.

2 Likes

I’ve been upgrading my platform (Case, fans, etc.) in wait for either upgrading the components later this year or early this year.

Although I am saying I want a 3080, in all likeliness, due to supply, I won’t be getting one. By the time it is available, it’s likely AMD will be out with their cards, and since I like RIS a LOT, so…might be getting another AMD card for the fifth time in a row…Nvidia has not really won my favor in years.

1 Like

Nvidia is usually okay, but you have to do your own research to figure it out. With that being said, the rx 5500xt (4gb) was a terrible purchase and so was the GTX 1650.

Just got to find out which cards are worth the msrp by putting videos on mute and focusing on the performance charts.

Edit

In response to the OP, Moore’s law usually deals with rumors. Love his videos, but it’s educated speculations/leaks analysis. Surprised he got so popular, still remember when he had like 2,500 subs.

1 Like

It wasn’t just the speculative nature of it that got me - I also kind of shrugged with the whole “corporation wants good margins, corporation is bad” kind of message, right down to the thumbnail on the video. :woman_shrugging:

It looks like AMD is going to have a decent offering. Hopefully they will build on what they’ve accomplished recently. A competitive marketplace is good for consumers.

1 Like

As a consumer you always want to get the most for your dollar and corporations want to make the most capital while giving you as little as they can. He talks about that a bit.

Like the best cpu amd could deliver to the average consumer with Zen 2 is the Ryzen 9 3950x and it launched with an msrp of $750. The Ryzen 7 2700x was the best cpu AMD could sell to the average consumer before Zen 2 and that was $329. It’s only because of Intel’s decade of quad cores people didn’t complain about it.

Is it a bad product? No, it’s a great product. Same could be said for Intel, the 6 core 12 thread i7 980x launched in 2010 but they didn’t increase core counts until pressured by amd.

1 Like

Even if supply wasn’t artificially limited, with the amount of publicity these are getting, you’d have enough difficulty getting one anyway. Then add the miners on top of it…not likely I’ll get one.

Absolutely. Anyone who believes that any of these multi-billion corporations are their friends is sadly mistaken - that’s one of the reasons I’ve never understood the ‘fanboy’ mentality. (Well, that and the fact that I’ve been part of teams that made these kinds of decisions - different industry, but same general principle). Heck, some of the companies that push the ‘good guy’ and ‘outsider’ narrative in their marketing are some of the worst offenders! :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s one of the reasons I liked your comment about ‘putting videos on mute’ - and geting off the marketing/hype train.

The other thing I would add is that there is nothing wrong with preferring a brand in tech, any more than there is something wrong with preferring a certain make of car. If it does what you need it to do and you’re happy with it, then I’m all for it.

Personally, I tend to look at ‘bang for the buck’ combined with my minimum performance tolerance - once I know it can do what I want, then I look for the best value. I have my brand preferences, but my purse is brand agnostic!

Artificial scarcity to create demand and hype … not a bad play when you are the first mover.

1 Like

I want the 3080 as well. I actually just got offered $425 for my EVGA 2080 Super XC and i dont know if i should do it with shadowlands right around the corner. Worried about getting a new card in time or even early November.

This card will probably be in stores at $350 once all the 30 series cards release.
What do i do?!

If you were absolutely going to upgrade anyway, sell it while it has value, do long as you have a suitable interim gpu until you manage to get a new card.

I’ll be honest ive bought only nvidia GPUs since around '98.

I used to read AMD drivers are junk, so how are they these days?

Haven’t had any issues personally.

Currently in my household:

5700xt
Vega 64
RX570
RX580
1060 3gb

No issues with any of them really, although the high power amd cards needed tweaking to run optimally.

Prior to that I owned
Radeon 9000
Radeon 1950 XTX
Radeon HD4850 x 2 in Crossfire

Amd never had problems with them either.

Also had:
GeForce 256
GeForce 2 GTS
GeForce 4 4200ti
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
GeForce GTX 260
GeForce GTX 560
GeForce GTX 650ti

No real problems with them either…except one of the HD4850s died, and the GeForce 560 died.

2 Likes

This guy seems oblivious to the past. The last 3 generations, from memory, have all been speculated to have had artificially limited availability at launch. The only variation depending upon who you ask is which company is doing it, how much, and whether there might be a technical reason for it (eg Short of coolers, short of RAM, trouble with yields, whatever).

No-one’s ever had any more “proof” than a nameless “industry insider” though.

New graphics hardware is popular. Popular things are more difficult to get at launch. And as the initial demand drops off, supply will begin to level out. Welcome to every product launch ever.

Glad you pointed that out! It looks like he is doing his own little ‘positioning schtick’ - point out that something nefarious is afoot, which happens to be completely in line with historical behavior, and people conclude that the ‘anonymous sources’ are legit and that he has special knowledge.

I don’t care for youtube reviews because it’s a different business model then online tech site reviews. Every one can have similar results across tech sites and still get traffic. On youtube you really need to separate yourself from the other guys to get views.

1 Like

I’m a Nvidia fan boy, its one of the few things I’ll admit to being a fan boy of. But every card I’ve had in the last 15 years – all NVIDIA cards, they all served me very well. Simple business. I like their product, their product has proved reliable and gave me the results expected…I give them repeat business.

Same for me and AMD - but I’ll get the nvidia if it is everything they claim and is available at the price they’ve set

Cassandra wasn’t believed either. In the aftermath, nor was she praised.
This guy’s reasoning behind his conclusions I can’t really follow. It is flavored with taste of underhanded business practices, but I can’t say its right.
Facts on the ground though, so far 100%.

The draw of the 3000 series is what you get for the price versus last generation. If you can’t get it at that price there is no point. Someone with no budget shouldn’t either at least get the 3090 if the $$ doesn’t mean that much to you. This isn’t going to last forever just wait if you can’t find it reasonably. After October/November they can’t play that game.

The thing is, if its been this way 3, or now, 4 times running, then its likely this is the way they want it to be. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Really just want to see some benchmarks with WoW @ 4K ultra settings with a high-end CPU and the RTX 3080.