If you are considering the new Nvidia card, watch this first

Sat on EVGA all morning, after seeing the tweet they were getting more FTW3’s.

Got to the point where it let me “Add to cart”

Site crashed immediately.

Then, 10 seconds later, new listings on ebay pop up for $1500.

1 Like

Online stores very seriously need flipper mitigation of some kind. It’s not just a problem in semi-mainstream stuff like GPUs and consoles, but even niche things like custom keyboards. It’s getting to the point that anything of limited quantity will mostly end up in the hands of flippers which is screwed up.

There’s no foolproof way to do this of course, but requiring a phone number and limiting purchases to one unit per number + address would go a long way. Combine that with a lotto system with some manual filtering of fishy looking purchases and it becomes much more impractical to try to buy mass numbers solely for flipping.

1 Like

EVGA does have a limit of 1 per customer.

So you know what? Forget all these GPU manufacturers this time around.

I’m gonna just run 1080p high refresh and give my GPU another extra year.’

Also solves my “monitor’s dont mach” dilemma.

1 Like

This happens every time a new GPU launces…not to mention Big Navi is being announced on October 28.

Unless, someone absolutely needs a new gaming rig right now waiting a few months is the smartest option. It will also give more time for drivers, patches and benchmarks.

That said, I still want the 4K benchmarks for wow haha

Been trapped in my home for 6 months. Half of it is because I’m bored out of my mind and want to blow money on random things.

Realistically it’s the sites that allow said flippers who can do the most about it. You’ll never stop private sales, but places like Craigslist, eBay, or Facebook Marketplace could easily implement restrictions on listing things that are in high demand so close to their release date at basically extortionate prices. You have to declare what you’re selling and for how much, after all, so the process could even be primarily automated - or at least moderated.

Take away the ability to so easily flip things and people will be less likely to do it.

1 Like

So you expect Facebook and eBay to monitor hundreds of thousands, if not millions of products for when a new version or new product is launched?

Manufacturers should really increase production before releasing them onto the market IMO.

Unless

This is intentional

Quite possible, but certainly not Ebays fault.

FYI, there are issues popping up with the RTX 3080 crashing. Let the early adopters pay the over priced fee to beta test the thing for you. Pick one up during a xmas sale.

2 Likes

I have already decided to downgrade to 1080p for the foreseeable future.

But I’ll probably change my mind in a day.

1 Like

It’s not like this is some obscure launch. There’s going to be someone in all of those companies who knows its coming, which in turn can be fed back into a keyword search. I’m sure there’s products I don’t know about but if I asked a semi-random selection (it will naturally attract a certain crowd to work at such places) of a few thousand other people they’d probably have some idea.

Plus if dozens or hundreds of listings all start showing up for the same basic thing in quick succession it’s a pretty good sign that something’s going on. It’s not like these services are completely devoid of even half-decent analytical software, and that kind of analysis can easily be handled by a simple rolling average.

Increasing production for the early release won’t stop scalpers. It might make it a little more awkward for them, but that’s about all. It also runs the risk of further exacerbating the problem by enabling them to flip far, far more units, which in turn will only encourage them as the potential gains are even higher.

So, let me get this straight: The guy who plays 1440p on a 24" and won’t consider 27" because he likes the pixel density is going to switch to 1080p?

Something’s not quite right…

1 Like

Mania I think is the technical term

But it’s not necessarily the PPI, it’s my mount limitation :frowning:

And I already plugged the 1440p display back in; can’t stand the 1080p anymore :rofl:

1 Like

1440p in wow isn’t that hard to drive I can get decent FPS topping over 100 on the 2nd computer that has a 1650 super. That was a card that cost me $120.

5700xt can power this game at 4k even - it’s mostly the other games that I do play on occasion, including FF14 w/gshade stuff

MoP I had 4k on a GTX 970 and it was playable. I’ve “dropped” to 1440p since then. Actually bumped up to UW 3440x1440 recently.