If you’re going to make all of these changes, why not balance classes?

I just finished reading about all the changes in Season of Mastery. They sound great. But I am very confused. If you’re going this far, why leave the horrid class balance intact?

9 Likes

I think they’re looking at the future after SoM, where they most likely merge characters into existing Classic Era realms or TBCC, or both for a cost. Can’t really do that if they actually change the classes themselves. So far all the changes are to the world.

It would be nice if they take this ‘Classic+’ project more seriously and do actual class changes. Small tweaks would make more talent choices viable options in all content. And continue that going forward. But they don’t seem to want to invest to that point.

3 Likes

Post season the characters get moved to a normal classic realm and thus having massive changes to classes only to be reverted to garbage would feel really bad. Think of SoM as the D3 seasons. Each time you start with nothing and after you get thrown in to the non season group.

1 Like

I think you’re overestimating blizzard thinking they are looking into the future. My guess if they don’t balance out the meme specs is just that they’re doing it out of pure laziness.

4 Likes

Dude you’re gonna aggro the Warriors and other “Meta” classes who would feel inferior if other classes were on par.

3 Likes

“PLS BLIZERD #MORECHANGES LETS MAKE THE GAME TOTALLY UNRECOGNIZABLE AND STERILIZE AWAY EVERYTHING THAT MAKES IT UNIQUE AND INTERESTING. PLZ BLIZER I WANT A TOTALLY SAFE, STERILE GAMING EXPERIENCE WITH NO UNCOMFORTABLE TRADEOFFS”

Hmmmmm.jpg

8 Likes

I’m not blizzard, but logically the first season of SoM is where you try to thread the needle on what changes you introduce so that you can gauge reception. The changes made are already decently big and show a design intent that hasn’t been seen at Blizzard for a long time.

Changing class balancing is something that requires a dev team and lots of internal + external testing. Aka it requires resources to throw into an unproven project. Not to mention you risk alienating your target audience who appreciates Classic’s charm and quirky class design.

Some specs are pretty subpar in Classic, but they are all viable. They just aren’t balanced. As we saw with retail however, sacrificing everything in the name of balance is a double-edged sword.

1 Like

Told ya’ that you would aggro one.

4 Likes

This character is an spriest

Hmmmmm.jpg

1 Like

aren’t there classic servers up right now? you can go play there and have your untouched classic experience.

i’m sure you and the 3 other people in that server will have a great time :grin:

3 Likes

Dude this Mindtrick guy is as predictable as yesterday’s weather.

3 Likes

The real joke is that everyone thinks blizzard cares about you having fun. SoM is here 1. To counter FF mmo and 2. To rebuild subs since tbc is dead. They don’t care about you lmao

2 Likes

A better word instead of “predictable” would be “consistent”

I am consistently in favor of #nochanges

Blizzard should release the game as it was, and let the players have a vigorous debate about whether we want to be parse-lemming meta-slaves in trivially easy 16 years old content, or play the game for fun

3 Likes

The two go hand in hand.

1 Like

No! go play on the dead classic servers.

1 Like

i think they will go the route after this first season in making more meaningful changes, even if its not class balance they could do things like change set bonuses based on spec to mix it up every season without breaking the game.

They probably could do balancing but this first season is testing the waters, also they dont have to make it so you transfer to “classic era” after wards they could just do what diablo 3 does and move you to a non season layer or phase so you can keep your toon after SoM, just you cant interact with the new season players.

Moving toons to a non-season phase could also help them test changes easier before they drop a new season.

1 Like

aren’t retail servers up right now? go there if you want muh perfect class balance

1 Like

Is that what you normally play? You know seeing as you only played classic for 2 weeks and haven’t played any vanilla servers for the last 15 years.

You played 4 weeks of classic, 2 of which was TBC pre-patch, you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re going to play SoM, and realize how bad the gap is between classes resulting in 1/2 the raid needing on your gear…and it’s on an accelerated schedule without changes to drop rates. haha you’re so naive.

If they don’t balance classes, I really can’t wait to check back in with you on SoM.

1 Like

I don’t understand why you think the changes in SoM are drastic? The changes are pretty mild. Most of them are just quality of life improvements.

They are literally just polishing classic into a better version of itself.

Making additional changes to completely change classes is outside of the scope of what they are trying to do based on the changes they have already announced.

TBC is the expansion where that stuff is done.

1 Like