If they redesigned Mistweaver

What mechanics do you like and would want them to keep?

What mechanics do you not like and would want them to get rid of?

What mechanics do you think have potential but aren’t quite where they should be and how would you change them?

The biggest mechanic I would want to see gone is Essence Font, it’s probably the least interesting mechanic in the spec.

18 Likes

Jade Serpent Statue has flavor, but isn’t quite hitting the mark right now. I would like to see it reverting back to 30s, and preferably have it baseline as well.

Otherwise, I would like to see a return of Chi, a lot of other complaints on MW is mana, which chi would alleviate somewhat. Basically I would like a partial revert back to MoP/WoD. I don’t want to return to Jab/Uplift or the old healing sphere mastery, but get back to Chi and some of the other things.

10 Likes

Probably very little, I’d want to move away from the whole channel casting and have stances again (WoD model of MW), meaning cast first then soothing channels automatically, and crane stance allowed attonement style fistweaving

Like there was a pvp talent I believe that allowed you to go back to having soothing mist as an ability, but felt better without

Like the obvious ones are spells like vivify/renewing/enveloping are a nice core being between druid and shaman in terms of healing

Essence Font… even though it is a good ability it feels clunky, and would have liked to see the AoE healing be more delegated to Chi Wave/Burst instead, or even go back to having crane kick/chi torpedo heal

Also Yu’lon as well, very much dislike having a healing pet and rather it be something that affects your healing more directly (like Chi’ji is much nicer but having to take a talent kind of meh)… also already have to manage jade statue if you don’t take Chi’ji

All the mana efficiency talents are too low, requiring legendaries to have similar mana efficiency as other healers

Life Cocoon is no longer as impactful as it was before, for some reason no longer usable while stunned

Fortify is not the same as in BFA and could be reverted

Once again, first row of talents are just not impactful anymore (or feel like taking mistwrap always, but then again it also used to be better and allow soothing mist while moving)

MW’s damaging abilities are very low, once again could be remedied with a stance or having abilities outside of the 3 physical ones do more damage (even RSK doesn’t compare to other short cd hits like hpal judgement)

3 Likes

I want the old mana tea back. Being able to burn through mana to pump heals and then drink up the stacks during downtime is way better than this pseudo-innervate.

I dont like yulons. Getting value out of it requires hard casting Enveloping Mists which kills mana and requires innervate or mana tea to be paired with it just to make it less punishing. Big cooldowns just shouldnt cost 20%-30% of your mana just to do what other healers’ raid CDs do more easily.

If mastery applied to the vivify cleaves as well, that would be huge.

12 Likes

The idea of using renewing mists as mini beacons for certain spells with the ability to ramp them up.

literally kill our mastery and replace it with something else… :eyes: maybe multistrike

1 Like

The new legendary which that helps you generate more ReM is a good start to returning to the WoD days of ReM-Uplift. Whilst we dont have to go back all the way to WoD anything that increases Vivify cleave healing is a positive to me.

If we take a broad view of what a mechanic is, I believe MW should have a large chunk of the abilities that force it to stand still removed/changed. The current design gives MW mobility, but very little to do while being mobile.

I honestly don’t think we need to remove anything, our abilities just need to be balanced better. One exception might be our Mastery, even if its tuned fine its just a boring mastery.

Minor changes (In implementation difficulty)

• Mana efficiency for MW is actually a joke.
  • Statue should cast for longer, at least 20 seconds.
  • Soothing on a reduced GCD
  • Soothing while moving
  • Life Cocoon while stunned
  • Healing elixirs while stunned or auto drink at 30%
  • Large buffs to dmg output
  • Revival needs a buff
  • Chi Wave and Celerity need buffs to be competitive talents.

Large changes

• Mana tea is just a crap Innervate with even less fun interactions because its self-cast only. Just give us back the old one, balance it better though.
  • Our mastery is straight boring requiring little to no thought or gameplay decisions.
  • Yulon is an awful cd because it doesn’t work by itself. It requires you to dump mana into Enveloping cast, almost forcing you to run Mana Tea just to pair with it. And lets not even get into how it fares in PvP. I believe the ability needs some changes to how it functions that so that it is a “complete” ability.

Crazy changes

• I’m a madman so “MW monks are too squishy in PvP? Lets give them Stagger.” Obviously they lack the Brewmaster kit to make stagger as strong, but it would be an interesting change.
  • The reintroduction of Chi to MW doesn’t sound crazy, but there are so many different ways to reimplement it that I feel it has to be down here. I think Blizz may have nailed their colors to the wall when they didn’t bring it back at expansion launch, so I’ll doubt we’ll see it back in Shadowlands.
11 Likes

What I’m reading here is that the investment to get JSS rolling isn’t worth it.

One issue I have with it is everyone says soothing mist isn’t worth casting except to get JSS going.

What if JSS healed your lowest health renewing mist target?

I really like renewing mists ability to jump and I think this would work well with it.

2 Likes

I think this idea. But would it be bad for pvp and being kicked?

I’d like to see mistweaver mostly return to how it was in mop/wod. Obviously, there are improvements/modernizations that would be great but without a doubt it was a much better design than what we currently have. So chi, uplift, old fistweaving (probably an improved version that made it work a little more like atonement and all the old fistweaving buffs), etc.

I also think combining Chi, Uplift and Essence Font could make a very satisfying raid healing kit (by letting essence font act as a gimped soothing mist for uplift).

Chi brew was an old talent back when Chi was a thing- that should return with chi. Baseline too.

Oh, and statue should be baseline or be removed. Nobody wants to take it, it does nothing interesting.

In short, though, just do a revert- keep the good mechanics that synergize with old mistweaver and get rid of the clunky, basic bits of the new kit. The mistweaver rework from Legion is the worst class rework I’ve seen in wow and I have no idea how its lasted longer than Legion spriest/ele

5 Likes

I like how cleave healing works right now, especially with how the helm functions. I do like the initial concept of our newest cooldown, our external, and our old cooldown, but all three of those have caveats that I’ll get into at the end of this post.

I can’t bring myself to do Rising Mist in M+ sadly. Our talents all over are insanely boring.

• Tier 15: Mist Wrap is basically the default. Chi Burst has viability, but it’s a fight between spell interaction and basically doing a healing kamehameha wave every 30 seconds.
  • Tier 30: This row feels insanely bad at this point in the current iteration. Mana Tea is basically a half-rate innervate, Spirit of the Crane refunds too little mana, and Lifecycles pushes us to cast Enveloping Mist more.
  • Tier 35: I still miss Ring of Peace’s old 8 second duration, but I suppose Blizzard has to balance around PvP now. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it. Tiger Tail Sweep is really a dead talent, especially in the current meta of M+. Song of Chi-Ji is very interesting, but I’ve never seen uses.
  • Tier 40: Boring tier even though it’s defensives. Healing Elixir feels dead outside of pvp.
  • Tier 45: Just make the statue baseline please. It’s already an uninspiring choice, and the entire tier of talents already feel weird. Refreshing Jade Wind only works when stacked. Chi-Ji, while I’m sure some people will argue with me on it, feels pointless. It doesn’t add a button, it replaces a button, changes the entire interaction with our new CD, and is arguably more a mana tool than a throughput cooldown.
  • Tier 50: Focused Thunder, in my opinion should be baseline, Upwelling should either be removed or adds yet ANOTHER benefit to it, and Rising Mist… I feel should be buffed just a bit.

Overall, our mobility is great, but there’s nothing to do during it. Some might say yay, others might say nay, but I don’t like the dead time of it.

I think everything about monk, right now, has it’s potential. The problem is that nothing was thought of as “THAT is what we want monk to be.” There feels like there’s no direction, it feels like whoever Blizzard has doing Resto Druid and Resto Shaman came together and started arguing ideas over what Mistweaver should be. Could Mistweaver be a great spot healer? Sure! Could Mistweaver be a great raid/raid rot healer? It looks like it’s there. Could we be fantastic at tank healing? That we can! Jack of all trades, master of none? Well, kinda feels that way already, but it doesn’t feel good to play it at all. Could we be a dps-to-heal healer? Yeah, yeah we could with Rising Mist.

I’m not going to pretend I played MW in MoP/WoD (quit in Cata, came back and played Ret in Warlords), but the changes away from Legion Mistweaver (at least the 2 whole changes) felt bad to me. The one whole change for Shadowlands feels even worse than Legion to BFA.

In my opinion, Mistweaver’s current issues stand as this:

• Poor, uncreative mana efficiency
  • Poor throughput relative to other DR/strong-cd healers
  • Bad Mastery
  • Many boring/under tuned talants
  • No real defined niche
  • A hybrid between Resto Shaman and Resto Druid.
  • Poorly tuned or thought-out spells.

From Vivify’s reduction and lack of interaction with our Mastery (Vivify cleaves) to our glorified half-rate health potion (Revival) to even our 65% max hp shielding 2 minute cooldown external (Life Cocoon), all of them are just awful-feeling. All of these have compounded into becoming the least represented healer in the game, which weakens the spec and class’s voice and say in regards of their development.

Mistweaver’s current representation is 12,763 parses in mythic Castle Nathria. The next lowest is Restoration Druid at 31,557 in mythic. Even if we change to Heroic, Mistweaver has 109,342 parses compared to the second lowest (Discipline Priest) at 143,630 then (Holy Priest) at 232,504. Jumping two ranks to the jack-of-all-trades healing spec, monk has less than half.

Moving into M+, at all levels of timed keys, Mistweaver has an 8% representation rate compared to the next lowest (I think Holy priest, RIO is bugging for me) at 11.8%, then Disc at 14.4%, then Hpally at 16.3%, and Rsham/Rdruid are equal at around 25%. Changing it to +15 or higher reduces Monk and Holy Priest (I’m guessing holy) even further.

The reason I bring up these metrics is that while I understand the concept of “The Meta,” and how every spec has their time to shine, the Mistweaver population, and general Monk population, has withered. The spec has withered because of more than just the beta forum’s final blue post “Look out next week for more changes!” There’s lots of reasons the population has shrunk, but the spec is truly withering and wasting away.

6 Likes

the way it works now you are more prone to being kicked without even getting healing out… and before at least compared to other healers, you really still have overall fast heals (shaman, paladin and holy priest still rely on their slow big heals and are fine in pvp)

MW suffers in pvp because in order to do strong steady healing you have to stand still and cast, but you also have to move to survive… its like very tricky to survive at times because you commit to the wrong thing and you just die

a change that happened sometime after WoD was that soothing mist when you had it as an ability only incured a 0.5 or 1sec gcd and you like double tapped spells to get them off very fast (soothing+env/viv+stop cast soothing)

right now its too clunky with waiting 1.5sec gcd before using a vivify/enveloping since most player’s reaction time

also, there is surging mist which does give 1sec gcd, but i think that talent should be baked into vivify’s single target so it works with legendaries

plus i know a lot hate essence font because it is like putting up a flag to be kicked, like i get a lot of value in it in RBGs or when using ATotM legendary, but I know a lot of people want uplift back or a more conventional area heal

yea even though i’d want to go back to WoD style, I still think the soothing first style it is now should be an option (or the other way around to replace an existing boring talent to change playstyle)

speaking of that, I always admired druid for having affinity’s, but would be nice to see something similar for monks like

crane style - tiger style - ox style

like obviously one pure healing focused, one giving you some bonus damage like WW gets (or healing off your melee like attonement) and one more into tankiness (likely a small stagger and better fortify brew)

1 Like

Just a slight nitpick: The cast first then soothing channels automatically was the Legion change. WoD did not have that.

I think a complete overhaul is needed. Monks are a lot like druids in the sense that they are very mobile, but yet they have to stand still to pretty much do most of their “useful” heals. I’d like to see them make Soothing Mist able to be casted while moving (including rolls), but you’d either have to tone down the healing from Enveloping mist and Vivify or something along those lines. It’s weird that monks can fly around, but have to stand still to heal and than get stunned and die. Cocoon needs to be able to be used while in stuns (think like a Pain suppression for Disc). I’m sure there would be other tweaks needed (like actually reducing the healing power of spells because they can be used on the move, or reduce the healing power while moving).

Yu’lon… forget the pet. Transform ME into the dragon! Give it a combo heal/damage dragon breath move. That would be fun.

3 Likes

I think all the celestials should be this way.

I wanna be the ox, I wanna be the dragon, I wanna be the tiger…not really a crane guy but I’m sure someone would wanna be the crane!

1 Like

Granted they can’t even fix Mistweaver, a 4th spec: Fistweaving would be AWESOME!

2 Likes

I loved the uplift playstyle. You could time it just right and it would be another amazing CD. Not sure why they reworked monks again in Legion, essence font is just so boring and less interactive.

1 Like

and bring back Stances!!!

1 Like

Personally, i just want

vivify to cost less mana
crackling lightning to do damage
spear hand strike.
Life cocoon while stunned
Fortifying brew unerfed

I dont want a rework at all. WoD mw would be terrible imo

4 Likes