If RPPVP servers are only a niche

Salt mining is indeed fun, just bring plenty of water and you will be fine. Don’t want to get too much salt and be parched.

To point to an example of a sort of extremist mindset… There is currently a guild on a certain server, Wyrmrest Accord. I obviously can’t say the name of the guild, but I can say that they are a multi-gaming community. They run their community like a cult. They have a communications ban rule where if you slight them and then leave on even slightly bad terms, no one in the guild is allowed to talk to you without being punished (Even if they are an IRL friend or spouse. Yes, this circumstance has come up a couple of times) . You can see how this is indeed cult-like and pretty extreme. You may think this is an exaggeration? I really wish it was, boy do I wish it was.

3 Likes

Thats not just a feature of World of Warcraft too. It is inevitable that RP servers tend to merge together. In SWTOR for a while there were 2 RP servers, Bergeren Colony and Ebon Hawk. Bergeren Colony began hemorrhaging players to the Ebon Hawk server because the RP community was more active and the RP events were more fun. That is ultimately what ends up happening with RP servers, the server gets a reputation and there is an exodus of like minded RPers who want to be in the same community.

If Blizzard just adds just one RPPvP server from the start then they won’t have to worry about the ‘Niche Market’ shrinking since they will all be on a singular server anyway and the like minded RPers will already have a place to go

2 Likes

And yet Ebon Hawk is a dead server again anyway.

The matter is that the RP landscape has changed drastically in the past few years. Not as many people do it anymore, whether because of lack of time due to IRL circumstances (The most likely candidate) or because of being scared off by the toxicity prevalent in many RP communities these days.

SWTOR obviously isn’t the best candidate for this sort of talk though, since SWTOR is a dead game anyway.

Modern WoW also has far too much content to do, so take that into account as well.

Role players can be some of the nastiest people to be around.

There was an Alliance player on Emerald Dream who reported everyone who didn’t have an RP name. There was a public list of who has been reported and the reason, encouraging others to also report them.

Those people are toxic and usually their rules are nonsense. This charcter’s name I am posting on is just the generic German word for hammer. It would pass the RP name zealot test though, even though Tauren do not speak German.

The good things about RP-PVP servers outweigh the bad though.

RP-PVP is where you get those fun things like an all Rogue guild on both factions that specializes in contract hits on players. Arrangements made in a sketchy tavern in the middle of nowhere of course.

2 Likes

The only real way to PLAY classic wow is to RP-PVP that is… Unless you’re on a normal server :x.

IF we are a niche, then RP-PVE is a NICHE OF A NICHE (I kid.)

2 Likes

Because all the other former RPPvP servers are dead and there were very few of them to begin with. They had one populated RPPvP server and the rest were dead, they simply think that there won’t be enough interest to even have one popular RPPvP server in Classic.

Inb4 I’m accused of hating RPPvP servers, when it’s the only server type I’ve played on my entire 13.5 years of WoW.

Devils advocate would say that you cherry picked the one populated server while the others are quite in a different situation.

A better argument would be: because Emerald dream is such a success it shows that there should be atleast one RP-PVP server at launch.

Hello! I Am Teemo, God of Gnomes and Mightiest warrior to ever walks this earth!

If RP-PvP servers are so niche, why did an online survey of 15,000 players indicated significantly more interest in RP-PvP than RP-PvE? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Was the survey taken before or after the announcement of no RPPvP server at launch?

Long before.

Could you provide a link, please?

Hah!
Yeah Emerald Dream is, or was at least, awesome!

Clan Battlehammer member and founder of ED’s Druids of the Claw here.

2 Likes

It was a reddit poll of people on r/Classic looking to play Classic. It’s not an indication of people who roleplay, just where those people want to play.

The larger number of players tend to be focused on gameplay, rather than social interaction of roleplay.

I was in DotC lol. Cool guild.

I would never play on another server other than an RP PvP if I had a choice. Tons of great world PvP battles, and also high end PvPers. I pushed gladiator with 99% ED Players. It’s so much better than any other server I’ve ever played on.

2 Likes

Imagine for a moment that Ion had come into the forums posting as a non-blue. Just an ordinary shlub. Imagine he created a thread stating that PVPVP was niche and shouldn’t really be considered unless there was a demand for it after release.

Would this not be considered a troll?

2 Likes

Would it be art imitating life? RP-PvP wasn’t day one. Added a year later.

Ion is a fool to think that RP-PVP is too niche. It doesn’t have to be huge, it just needs to be there.

Haha good to hear! Cmhiten here!