If PVP became a separate game

…would you play?

Think of it rather like Hearthstone. All the WoW flavor, none of the WoW pve problems.

Pvp set up as an independent game with BGs, RBGs, duels, Brawls, Arena, and whatever else tickles your fancy. Independent gearing from the pve game. Class and spec balanced around pvp only. Free from the proc gimmicks - killer anime tentacles and the like.

What say you?

20 Likes

are you talking about

3 Likes

No, I am talking about pvp as we know it, removed from WoW as we know it, and made into an independent game.

1 Like

This threw me off

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I don’t want BFA PvP…

:T

9 Likes

I could probably explain this better. So what I mean is - no canned toons, you make the toons as we do now. Same classes, same specs we love. HOTS is a canned toon system to my knowledge.

Potentially, level your toon in the WoW world if that is your choice to then transfer to the pvp world? Or maybe the pvp world having its own form of leveling system? Who knows. My point here is not to create a game in this thread. This is not my profession. It’s an idea toss, not a hard outline.

The pvp game consisting of what you already have and what you already know. WSG, AB, EOTS, epics, arena, etc. New BGs added for interest and keeping things fresh.

We keep experiencing problems based on pve in our pvp. Either pve gear is a problem, or tuning spec/class skills for pve is a problem. In asking myself, would I do a separate game that is pvp, but not placed in the pve WoW world as we currently have it, I would.

1 Like

Well, assuming this PvP game is more focused on skill > gear, you’d lose the twinks and the players who rely on a gear advantage to have fun in PvP.

Not BFA lol. When I say pvp as you know it, I mean same BGs, classes, specs. Same baseline that has always been WoW pvp. Not pvp from some particular xpac.

Some, sure. Not others. I play twink. Have played twink since I’ve been on this game. I also play cap toons. Having twinks or not having twinks never made me not want to play at cap. I enjoy both. What makes me not want to play cap is anime tentacle gimmicks that proc and kill while cc is in effect.

1 Like

Oh ok I get it

Yeah that would be a really fun pick up and just PVP side game

I’d for sure play it.

I think for it to have longevity it would need some reward system something for progression to avoid it from going stale

Maybe even title going over to WOW core

Arena would be hot !

I could see this happening as devs keep struggling to make PVP balanced in core game

The push might be to make it Mobile though and that would suck

4 Likes

Most definitely. Vendors for gear, mounts, titles, that you earn? Go back to earning season gear off vendors perhaps? Honor could matter once again, not be some arbitrary number.

My thoughts exactly!

Wish PVP in instanced areas would be set up like GW2. You can choose what gear stats you have, but only works in those PVP instances. Every one is fighting on an equal footing. Only skill is the separator.

World PVP is still PVE gear though.

9 Likes

I would play a PvP separated game, even with my general view of split players = bad. PvE in this game now is just ugh, I don’t care about the story, but it’s shoved down my throat now. The focus of items being a loot lottery now has set up an extremely dull and mostly disappointing PvE experience. Maybe on this box, I’ll get something else other than the previous 7 445 Helmets. Here we go…oh look another helmet!

-Queues for Heroic Darkshore-

A 460 Helmet! I mean, it’s an upgrade, sure, but for one slot, now everything else still sucks because it hasn’t had the attention of the loot lottery.

Although, if any company had the balls to make a ground up PvP centric game without the gimmicks, I would likely bail. Blizzard is one of those companies that has the capital to do it, and just choose not to over other projects. Other games hit the PvP focused mark for me, but have too many glaring drawbacks to make it sustainable. With Pay to Win economies and such.

Someone make a game where:

-Character customization matters (talents, stats, skills, gear, etc.)
-Character/Specs are unique and offer different play styles that matter
-The world being unsafe matters
-Professions matter, (remember those?)
-An economy focused on trading matters
-PvP ranks matter

Go ahead, I’m waiting.

1 Like

I don’t like split players either, but we are already that.

Twinks are split in queues. Players are split in gearing - some gear via pve, some via pvp, some via both (and while that looks like variety in a game, it’s causing huge disparity in actual play). We are split in modes - war on or off? We are split with who we can guild/sell/trade with (thanks crz!) even though they are right in your face.

I think a lot of people would PvP just to PvP on multiple classes just for fun, but end up avoiding PvP because of its connection to power-related progression.

Also in modern WoW they give you so many chores to do that you feel like your game-time has to be devoted to grinding some points in an infinite progression system, which took a lot of people’s attention away from fun side-games to avoid the perception of falling behind (or many of them just quit rather than have to deal with it at all).

GW2 used to and may still (haven’t played it for awhile) do a great job with this. You had an entirely different character screen to put on PvP gear to do their version of BGs. All of the PvP gear was free from vendors also, you just selected different gear to customize your stats for PvP. I think WoW could do something similar for at least casual PvP.

During classic beta I suggested they could open up a PvP only server that essentially was like a permanent PvP beta servers where they just have vendors to give you the gear and let you queue for BGs. They could end up having one for multiple versions of WoW if they end up having things like TBC classic etc.

Overwatch 2 seems like it’s going to have a separate PvE progression system while still having its PvP stuff disconnected from it as well.

2 Likes

They do. It literally feels like rat in a skinner box to me. Granted, it’s always been repeat X (whatever X is) to acquire gear, but good grief, it feels dialed up to 10 now.

Very similar to what I am saying. A dedicated place where pvp would be uninfluenced by pve and allow pvp players a place to queue, mingle, buy from vendors.

Never did Overwatch. Always seemed like a TF2 ripoff job to me, but yeah, did they learn their balance is too hard both ways lesson and opt to keep them separate? If so, glad they did.

1 Like

It’s definitely based on TF2 at least in terms of the basic game modes though it’s different enough that I’d say it’s more like a game in the same genre rather than a ripoff. A lot of interesting heroes and different game modes with no real equivalent in TF2.

OW2 alpha/beta hasn’t started yet so we don’t know exactly how it will work, but it seems like the new PvE stuff is going to be separate based on what they said at Blizzcon. Current OW is 99% PvP with a few PvE mini-games/events.

2 Likes

Nice. :smile: Glad to hear it has progressed into something. I haven’t looked at it since release.

I played HL2DM back in the day pretty seriously. Ran a few servers, did STA, met A_Seagull back then, played a lot of games with him. He’s a super nice dude, btw. One of the best I’ve ever met gaming anywhere. HL2DM kinda died, we all moved to TF2. He and others picked up Overwatch on release and I did the pass on it. He went pro :smile: but guess he stopped a bit ago.

I am already developing a title very similar to the requested, I am unable to post further regarding it however as this is Activision forums.

Keynote: love WoW, don’t ban me. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Daddy Pardo, is that you? :heart: :joy:

I’m watching Pardo’s studio. They claim they are developing an mmo. I’m hoping it’s WoWish without all the WoW problems. Especially the pvp ones.

What I can say is, I am not affiliated with that project, it is a different development, but very early stages, we will see where it goes and if it grows perhaps you’ll run into it someday. :grin:

1 Like