If FFXIV is so successful, why is it never trending or relevant

WoW of course like Everquest is degrading in quality yet like Everquest it won’t die even if sold off unless an EMP or worse wipes the game from the face of existence!

Furthermore WoW is the top MMORPG so it’s Expansions will be known to a large number of the public unlike Everquest the latest Expansion of which I just learned the name of which making this post which shows how low key Everquest now is.

1 Like

I have but always on these forums. Seriously, if it wasn’t for these forums I would never have looked it up in the 1st place.

I did once. Not interested.

3 Likes

Game was garbage when it came out and from what I’ve seen it’s still roughly the same garbage now.

I’ll give them credit for staying alive all these years though given just how boring that game truly is. I would’ve taken it out back and shot it ages ago to put it out of its misery.

2 Likes

I’ve played it, FFXIV strikes me as one of those games that is far more enjoyable to play than watch. Not to mention WoW has very established streamers, personalities that have been around for years.

1 Like

You know, I still have my Eidos PC version of FF7 in my desk somewhere. BUT, I didn’t play it until I had my first computer in late 98. I don’t remember what the main card was, but it had a pass-through Voodoo2 12 mb. And I remember the game running fine on that system. But the sound didn’t match up to the PS version. Iirc it was midi. It’s a shame your experience was like that.

When they started talking about 8, with it’s main theme being “love”, I was 25 and thought “love?! Icky” and didn’t like it as much as 7. Now obviously as I aged and matured(here on this gaming forum), 8 grew on me tremendously. But I think the fact that I didn’t care for it as much back when it was new, it kind of hurts my overall viewpoint today.

9, when it was announced, seemed too “kiddy” for me at the time. I played it in 2008, I think, for the first time. But I think the fact that I didn’t play it back when it was new kind of hurt my experience when I played it in 08. I still thought it was an excellent game and all. Definitely quality.

I always come back to 7. I’m really hoping the remake comes to PC.

1 Like

Remaster this year. I can’t wait!

I tried the game. Quit after 2 weeks… it just wasn’t fun

4 Likes

I don’t think twitch is an accurate measure of success. FF has about 400K less subs than WoW and I feel a lot of it has to do with stigmas people place on the game without giving it a chance.

Both MMOs have their issues. However, most of the content I see for FF is on YouTube.

I think that’s primarily because the game is focused on THE main story quest line and the raid awareness from most of the players I’ve seen is on point (like to an insane degree).

The fan fair this year in Tokyo had an insane amount of people, but even that was quickly shifted from streaming on twitch to YouTube.

3 Likes

There is no way FFXIV is only 400k subs away from WoW. FFXIV is not even a million subs and the best guesstimates for WoW subs still have it around several million

4 Likes

MMO-population has WoW at 1,519,910 active subs and FFXIV at 1,167,793.

If it was an actual reliable source people might believe it. Wow doesn’t release their numbers so that site cannot possibly know.

Unless the numbers come straight from blizzard HQ it’s just some guesswork that can’t be verified. I can’t really look at it for more than a few seconds though before the adblocker thing pops up telling me they need funding for their guess work.

So I can’t play around with it any.

3 Likes

Well, they’re getting better at putting stuff on PC, but dunno, the remake has a few iffy points for me. The whole being broken into multiple chunks that may or may not be full game priced (and man the first one JUST being Midgar hurts, I always want to get past there as soon as possible) and I’m not entirely sold on real time FF combat so far, but haven’t gotten to 15 to see how that did. (and I’m one of those freaks that liked 13, Sazh is the man)

8 had such a good story qhen the gardens fought and all but then it just slowed down so much and became this overbearing love story about orphans. It was so good up to a poing then led to disappointment

Well I’m hoping for the best here. I know modern Square Enix is not the old Squaresoft. And I know 15 was a problem. So I’m looking at things in a measured way. Not getting overly hyped.

Some of the things I heard during the remake’s development were not too good. They took the development in-house, and threw out everything that other company was doing, and started over from scratch? And now they’re going to release next year?

I question just how much game they could generate in that amount of time.

Edit: I like 13 as well. I thought the soundtrack was amazing.

FF is fun, just not worth paying monthly for(back then). I played after the release of ARR, and it was great and I found myself really enjoying the dungeons and relic quest.

After I finished all the casual play, there was really nothing left to do but level other jobs and try the game as a different role :man_shrugging: And if I remember correctly, PvP wasn’t in the game just yet.

If i’m bored enough(and they combine all the expansions into one $29.99 package) i’ll go check it out again.

1 Like

LOL, like gauging the success of a concert based on the amount of puke piles.

2 Likes

If that the case, what are you doing here?

3 Likes

FF mmo sucks

1 Like

I like some things about 8… I hated the way you had to upgrade weapons though. that was annoying.

I play multiple games, each one scratches a different itch. In wows case, my grandma always loved gnomes and I never got as close to her before she died as I wish I could have, so I like fighting as a gnome. :slight_smile:

3 Likes