If Collector's Edition owners get their pets, then let us have Murky

According to the blue post here:

Collector’s Edition owners of the original WoW will get the pets in Classic. I have no problem with this, but it is only fair that us Murky owners (reward for attending BlizzCon) are allowed to keep our pet as well.

35 Likes

This is why you don’t open Pandora’s box.

92 Likes

It’s hardly a box. As far as I’m aware, these are the only two instances of out-of-game pets that were in the original WoW.

12 Likes

No. Today Murky, tomorrow Raid Finder.

69 Likes

Didn’t say anything about raid finder, so enough if that silly strawman.

This is about linking of items between two games. Once it starts players will expect and demand more.

And Blizzard will do things like: Buy the new WoW expansion for an exclusive pet in Classic. You think they won’t? This is a company charging $15 for a miniscule chance at beta.

15 Likes

but they aren’t, it’s more likely they mean you need to sub to play not get invited.
You don’t think that the next CE of whatever game will include digital goodies on all their released games, which will include Classic at that point?

Both of these are 2 things that actually existed in Vanilla as SSigma noted, they have already stated the mounts from the CE anniversary won’t be available in Classic, so CE pets are more than likely as far as they go in this vein.

3 Likes

Flying mounts not available in Classic? I’m shocked. But I’m talking further down the line. Often the worst, most damaging things fly under the radar. Most people say ‘Whats the big deal?’ Because they start small and grown little by little over time.

1 Like

“Well, if they’re getting Murky then I want my Onyxian Whelpling!”

“Well, if they’re getting their Onyxian Whelpling I want my Mini KT!”

And at that point Blizz might as well just enable all store and limited edition pets, because everyone will want their’s because someone else got their’s. And now we have a bunch of crap that wasn’t in Classic now in Classic which makes it no longer Classic but Classic+.

That’s the aurgument Mogar is making, people.

16 Likes

The deal with Collector’s Edition pets was: You get one Collector’s Edition pet on every new character, forever. You could argue either way that Classic is a re-creation of vanilla, or a distinct game from vanilla, and that original CE accounts should or should not get their CE pets. But now, Blizzard has made that decision.

The deal with Murky at BlizzCon 2005 was: You get one Murky, on one character, ever. That changed (so I hear) some time well after vanilla, when they made all mini-pets account-bound, but I don’t see an argument for giving original Murky owners another in Classic other than “it would be nice”.

Much as I would love to have the li’l guy following me around again, too.

3 Likes

Do you really expect them to turn down that kind of cash revenue?

And by the way, I draw a distinction between the Classic devs (whom I like), versus the Suits and marketing parasites who will use this crack in the door for all kinds of potential nefarious endeavors.

Arguments about post-vanilla things are not terribly relevant. Yet.

Murky was definitely a vanilla-era thing, and I understand why people who had him in vanilla would like to see him back, but as I already said, the deal then was clear: one Murky, on one character, ever.

Things like this, even beginning with the Collector’s Edition pets, were the first glimmerings of what we have today. Pay-for-perks was there from the start, and vanilla was not a single static thing (as we who wade through the flame wars about 1.5 AV, hunter pets, etc. etc., well know).

Classic itself will not be a static thing, and yes, beyond the content phasing already announced, Blizzard could start adding in new stuff. Signs are they won’t. Yet. And even then, you can always vote with your subscription money.

Murky was in the original WoW so I’m not sure why people are comparing adding Murky to Classic with adding pets that didn’t exist in the original WoW to Classic.

8 Likes

Tier 2 was in Vanilla wow as well. I have Tier 2 in retail. So why shouldn’t it be given to me in Classic?

You see the issue with this slope?

1 Like

I would love to know if the card items like my tabard of frost will be available to use the codes on.

i firmly support not having changes to the original game, but i feel this isn’t go a step out of bounds, murky was a part of the original vanilla so it’s not unreasonable for it to be given to those same people going back to vanilla, it can be 1 per character (however it originally was) and redeemed in the same way

2 Likes

The slope has a pretty clear barrier between cosmetic and functional items.

3 Likes

It’s still an item you didn’t earn in-game, dude. Let it go.

No, but that’s what you’ve been implying for 18 months.

1 Like

I say give everyone all the pets they want from retail, who cares?

2 Likes

CE pets are from retail? Who knew.