Ideas to improve Pet Battle PVP

PVP Pet Battles seem to be in a poor state. Besides achievements and a small chance to win stones and charms there is not much incentive to play them.

I think the following would greatly improve activity in PVP Pet Battles:

• PVP Dailies e.g. win 5 total PVP battles, win 3 battles with pets all from the same family, etc, the dailies could have unique pet rewards
  • Weekly Pet Challenge: Win a game using one of the following 10 pets (chosen at random or from a low use pool), win a game without losing a single pet, win a game in under 15 rounds, win 3 games in a row, etc
  • Greater chance at stones and charms
  • Cosmetic awards such as weapon and armor transmogrification (make them pet related)
  • Maybe add in non-pet related rewards such as gold or even mounts, I mean pets are locked behind other content, why not have a few things locked behind pet content? (Assuming they aren’t too hard)

What are some of your ideas to improve participation and enjoyment of PVP Pet Battles?

8 Likes

I really do like all your ideas.

My biggest issue with the pet weekly is that I don’t need purple stones. I just don’t. We have Super Squirt Day and we have Sir Galveston, etc. We also have the Safari Hat/WoD daily rotation that levels up to three pets 1-25, and we also have the MoP daily rotation if that’s not good enough.

So
for the serious pet battle collector/player, purple stones are a non-issue and not much motivation. Obviously, this is just my opinion and others may disagree, but I rarely use them and have multiples in my bank. They’re just not a thing to me.

I love this. I think a cat carrier off-hand would be amazing. Butterfly nets. A mog that goes with the Safari Hat – something of a Nesingwary/Indiana Jones vibe with set bonuses for increased pet xp. That would be both motivating to collect and fun to use. It would also be something other pet battle people ingame would recognize.

I think mounts that you can put a pet on behind you or have some of your pets on display while using it would be fun. In the Garrison Menagerie, a random assortment of your pets are out and wandering around. Why couldn’t this work with a mount?

An elephant, for example, with a bird cage swinging from it on one side and a special pet cusion seat on the other where two appropriate pets spawn and ride behind you on the mount
something like that.

I like this as well. Very much.

Very solid ideas.

edited to add: I think a toy that has your character pulling a wagon (like a little red child’s wagon) full of pets might be fun, too. Pet-related toys are always a good bet.

4 Likes

Great ideas! I didn’t even think of those.

Your suggestion of toys, gear, and mounts carrying pets has me wondering, what if there were a toy or even permanent account unlock that allowed more than one pet to follow you?

The toy could be “Horde of Pets” and summon 10-15 random favorites. While the permanent unlock could progressively increase the pets that follow you up to three (more than three permanent pets might be too disruptive).

3 Likes

I’ve wanted this SO MANY times! I often put Pepe on my head, put Cap’n Crackers on my shoulder, and then summon a third critter to walk with me
just for funsies.

1 Like

If you give gear they will come. I noted this about a year ago. The great grind in this game revolves around gear. This week, while the non-rated/non-mythic group all sit at approximately 205 ilvl, running five timewalking dungeons rewards an ilvl 226 piece. Why not do that with pet battles?

Although as also noted last time, the tears would be legendary
“Screw you Blizzard for ‘making me’ run pet battles. I went against this loser today and my entire team was dead in three rounds. 17 matches and not one win. Who wastes times perfecting real strategies for this crap? Do these losers even have lives???”.

4 Likes

Not “all” – you can be higher than that and not run rated, raids, or M+.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Some people will be angry if they feel they are “forced” to chase that carrot.

1 Like

You nailed it! All the folks working on dumb achievements, grinding along with the same meta until it stops working reliably so they hafta switch to new meta.

1 Like

After reading this, I just suddenly really want a llama head transmog. Or like a full on llama suit. Inspired by this LEGO mini figure I bought recently. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Maybe this comment helped inspire me, too:

Also could totally go for some cat ears like the bunny ear Easter transmog. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is so accurate that it’s a little scary. That is exactly what would happen.

5 Likes

YES! This needs to happen.

3 Likes

:llama: :carrot:

1 Like

None of these would improve PvP Pet Battles in any way.

There is no way to improve PvP Pet Battles. It is purely rage-inducing garbage.

1 Like

Many do though, and even if you don’t that is an easy way to easily flip a pet for a fair profit. Just buy a popular pet at level 1, purple stone it to 25 and sell it for a huge mark up.

Quite the pessimistic take. I disagree

3 Likes

That never crossed my mind!! Brilliant. You’re a genius, Eve

1 Like

No doubt you have lots of pets like the Shimmerbough Hoarder, a pure garbage, rage-inducer pet. I can continue listing your favorite pets if you like.

Are you literally creating your own narrative and citing it as a supporting argument? That’s an interesting strategy but no.

My favorite pet is Unborn Val’kyr because it looks cool and use it even though it’s not really a hard hitter. I also did the family brawler achieve so I stray pretty far from the meta and I’ve never played a heal comp or Graves when it was S tier.

Yes, pvp pet battling is unbalanced, but rage inducing? It’s a game
 Grow up.

5 Likes

All your ideas are great. They really are. I’ve seen them in one form or another over the years, though, and Blizz hasn’t done anything with them. Including, the #1 that should be on your list – get rid of pet battle battlegroups. I’ve been sitting in a queue now for 15 minutes. That should not happen. Ever. You telling me there’s not one single person, in all of wow, who is not wanting to pet battle at this moment? Hogwash.
That would be the best way. Depending on their code, not the easiest. The easiest would be to increase the chance of charms and stones, which is abysmal right now.
Another great idea would be to be able to choose one pet to turn into a mount at each 1k win mark. Don’t know how realistic that is, graphically, working with the player models, but it would be so, so cool.

3 Likes

I was thinking of a mount that carried like 5 of your favorite pets along side you at a time (if you have more than 5, then it’s 5 picked at random from your favorites)

2 Likes

If not a mount, it could be an NPC that follows you around and carries some of your favorite (or random) battle pets.

During the Night Fae Maw assault quest “Just Don’t Ask Me to Spell It” there’s an NPC that carries a handful of critters on its shoulders, back, and even in its hand - it could be something like that. Granted, you’re playing the NPC/vehicle during the quest, but if the base concept is there maybe it could also be applied to a player toy/summon
? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You’re either lying about thinking PvP pet battles aren’t intentionally broken beyond any possibility of repair or one of those who only plays the most broken pets. What you’re complaining about is that anyone objects to being openly cheated against.