Idea to close gap between 2h and dw frost

PPM does not equal “More attacks means more chances” PPM means procs per minute… An increase in crit and haste is oblivious to whether you are using a 2h or DWing separate weapons.

If what you are implying is true, KM is not a PPM mechanic, its a flat % chance per hit.

2 Likes

PPM is used to give you a chance per hit. Its not exact procs per minute. Procs per minute is used in calculating what your chance per hit is. The system uses rolls, so say you have 30% crit, the system rolls a number, if its a certain value then that attack is then a crit for example.

KM is still a proc chance, so if its say 10% per auto crit, then each time you crit it has a 10% chance to proc and the system has to roll to see if it happens or it doesnt.

Increasing your crit chance increases the amount of auto attack crits which increase the number of roll chances, haste increases the number of auto attacks and more auto attacks during a fight means more auto attacks that have a possiblity of critting, which then has a possibility of proccing KM.

Ill try to dig up the post where someone went through the math and explaining PPM.

That cannot be true. If it is, its not a PPM, its a chance on hit. Bliz needs to confirm or deny that. With respect, I cannot take your word for that.

Hypothetically, lets concede the point for the sake of argument. There would be a simple fix - Make KM a true PPM. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Think RPPM is set up to increase the proc chance the longer time you had since your last proc. Shouldn’t depend on number of hits per unit of time. Concern atm is that 2H doesn’t have enough crit autos to reach the amount needed for the RPPM. My calculation show that u need 36% crit before the amount of expected KM procs equal the amount of expected AA crits.

Could Bliz just shift those numbers to favor 2Handed weapons within the KM passive, itself?

Thats not being asked in a condescending tone, its a real question

1 Like

PPM is not a fixed proc per minute. Never has been. Looking back before the KM chance to proc off of auto attack crits, had a PPM of 5. You take the base weapon attack speed to also determine what the proc chance is.

Looks like the formula is PPM / (60s / weapon speed) = proc-chance. So even though the PPM back then off of auto attacks was only 5, you got a whole lot more procs.

So on a 2.6 weapon had a 21.66% chance per hit to proc KM. A 3.6 weapon had a 29.99% chance per weapon swing. But even with this, you have an extra weapon so you just have more attacks per minute which means more chances to proc over the same amount of time.

This was based on base attack speed and not attack speed after haste.

Every single post I see about PPM, it is used to get a proc chance from. So even though DW had almost a 22% proc chance, and 2h had a 30% proc chance, the extra weapon just does so much for how many procs you actually get.

Look at it this way, you need to roll a 22 or lower to get this proc out of 100. Say you were able to roll 30 times per minute. Out of those 30 rolls is how many KM procs you could get. Now, what if you could roll 60 times per minute because you added another weapon into the mix.

This is just to show how much adding another weapon into the mix can add. This is why it would also have to be addressed. If they made it so only KM could proc from main hand crits, it would actually even things out.

KM works a little differently now that its based off of auto attack crits, but even with the same crit value, and haste you still just have more attacks that are able to crit, and that are then able to proc KM using DW than with a 2h weapon.

1 Like

I stand by my prior comment

Or, if what you state is true, make the proc rates differ based on the weapon.

1 Like

The proc rates do differ based on the weapon. 2h has a higher proc chance than 1h weapons. But DW has 2 1h weapons, if they removed the offhand ability to proc KM then it would normalize.

Surely you could just keep increasing the 2H proc chance until it was the same, but removing the offhand would make that calculation easier for sure.

1 Like

Easier is usually better because its usually more simple. With increasing the chance up and up and up you would have to increase the ppm of KM for just 2h.

Or, just do the unholy treatment for KM and increase the proc chance to compensate for the change.

1 Like

Either way, it would work out just fine. But given the amount of interactions across abilities and stats, the simpler (MH only proc for DW) would likely be easier to balance.

Well then we run into the problem of blood and unholy doing the same and pulling ahead of frost. Which is why i was combining frost rune with TFC. Now if they baked Razorice into frost mastery for both dw and 2h. Then letting us put 2 runes on 2h weapons for all 3 specs would be balanced.

or they could let 2hers have 2 runes and 1h one

just lock 2 runes for 2h to frost spec

So the problem is that at the moment frost dks are using Razorice(which is mandatory) and fallen crusader.

With 2h coming back those of us which will be going 2h can only use 1 rune. Now letting the 2h weapons have 2 runes is a good idea. But as frost we will be stuck using razor ice and fallen crusader. Which is why i said remove razor ice rune. And bake it into our mastery so it will apply the stacking debuff. That way frost dks can use other runes and not be forced into razor ice and we could try the new runes.

2 Likes

If you get to have double runes for frost, I want double runes for blood and unholy.

I am excited that we might be getting new runeforges though. I hope we get some situational stuff and nothing that’s too over or underpowered.

I’d love to see runes that are better for pvp, aoe, and single target.

Which is why I brought up baking Razorice into mastery so that 2h could have 2 runes. That way it opened up that 2h all 2h dk specs could get 2 runes on their weapons. If it was implemented

Not sure why you’re talking so much about PPM. I think it’s RPPM like so many other procs. RPPM dynamically updates the probability to make the procs per minute independent of the number of trials as long as that number is sufficiently large.

1 Like

The problem with that is that only frost uses razorice, and no one uses stone skin gargoyle. We are lucky enough that our best weapon enchants are free, we really have no reason to ask to put two enchants on each weapon.

Which is why I am saying Razorice should be baked into frost dk mastery. So that frost dk’s both dw and 2h are free to try different runes. And the reason why I am saying allow frost 2h to put 2 runes in is to keep it in par with dw frost which uses 2 runes. Trying to keep dw and 2h frost on par with eachother. so this is a way of doing that

1 Like