Icy Veins: SMS required for 9.2 group finder tool including authenticator

To deal with bots/RMT spam.

Blame those guys for ruining it for everyone else; even if Blizzard had the staff to be able to process the amount of reports, they probably get tens of thousands of reports a day; you need a lot of people to process that stuff and can’t just make the whole system automated or else people will get false-flagged.

2 Likes

The problem with this is that while LFG for M+ is no problem, for raids or “other” you’re SOL if you don’t have the authenticator. You can’t to anything.

I tried to start an LFG for the WB, and it wasn’t auto populating with the boss name (even though I clicked on the eye), so I couldn’t start a group. For raids, which are more involved, you can’t do anything.

It’s a fine idea, but its execution is pretty horrible.

And it doesn’t even seem to have met it’s goal. It certainly has reduced it, I think (hard to say if it’s because of the change or simply late late 9.1.5 with noone doing anything). But I’m still reporting several ads a day in M+ LFG.

Dunno if they’ll eventually getting sick of having to pony up new phone numbers or what.

5 Likes

Cool. So make sure to consult the approved plan list on the approved provider list for an approved contract so you can have a compatible phone that you don’t want in order to access a feature of a game you already pay for.

That makes sense.

4 Likes

It kinda was like that for Nintendo

Some games were Japanese exclusive only to Japanese GameCubes for example

1 Like

HAHAHA

yeesh more drama posts coming in 9.2 :+1:

2 Likes

That’s not equivalent at all. That’s region locked gaming.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:
This won’t stop anything

7 Likes

My thoughts exactly… You do need both currently…

It is not very clear in game it just says “authenticator” so I assume they are changing the wording to make it clearer that you need both.

1 Like

I’m honestly not really sure where the whole “hacked accounts” thing came from to begin with. Most of the advertisers just buy accounts with gold from what I’ve read.

3 Likes

Approved network. Rest was just pointless. Again piggyback carriers are iffy.

Not sure what the “issue” is tbh… people seriously don’t have a cellphone in the year 2021?? These threads just seem silly to me :laughing:

Low-end “budget” smartphones can be had for less than $50 from carriers like Simple Mobile, StraightTalk, Tracfone, etc

1 Like

Pretty sure that was just Authenticator. Now they went fully (like with the extra 4 bags slots) to have full 9.1 functionality restored.

Of these, which are compatible?

1 Like

None of them

But here in the US Google Fi works as I have tried it myself, they use the other major carriers network

I have a cell that I share. Don’t give anymore money to Bell or other monopolies. Others may not need one. But I’m ok with not doing custom text etc… though it is already causing issues for some. You may not see any issue, others do… that is life :man_shrugging:

You can get a metropcs plan for $30/month

I had one for 25, can’t rem how tho its been a minute

Why does my WoW sub need to be $45/month?

4 Likes

I use Simple Mobile myself, works just fine - and yes, I have authenticator/SMS on my account :man_shrugging:

I was just pointing out that smartphones are super affordable nowadays from the carriers I mentioned. Plenty plenty of “budget” options under $100, and even some crappier smartphones for < $50

I dunno, when I’m skimming GD frontpage and see the issue of authenticators/smartphones being discussed I just find it so silly. Get “with the times” people, seriously :joy:

No, you don’t “need” a $1000 iPhone or a $100/month phone plan…

Bro not having a phone in 2021 is like not having wifi don’t tell me you still use a landline

1 Like

So what if I do? That’s my choice. Why does my WoW sub need to cost more than yours?