Icy Veins or Wow Head

Im trying to balance my balance and resto stats for raiding and I usally look away icy veins for advice but then I took a look at wow head and that are telling me 2 different things. Any idea which once I should go with? That said Wow heads suggestion is much easier for me to obtain and it doesn’t put as much emphasis on versatility for resto.

In the past, I’ve found Icy Veins to be mathematically better.

However, Icy Veins writers often assume you have a high gear level; this isn’t that crazy, since the guys who write for them all raid/theorycraft at a rather high level.

So then maybe I should go with wowhead. I’m not trying to do ridiculous high level content anyway.

Instead if just going with one or the other, I would encourage you to look into their reasoning behind their stat weights, and then make your own determination as to what is best.

Good luck out there!

3 Likes

Thanks will do.

Static stat weights are only a little useful for most specs. Stat weights change based on what gear you have. That is why you should sim which is VERY easy. Icy might say haste is your best stat but if you get it high enough or another stat is low enough it may not be highest anymore. They all work in relationship to each other due to diminishing returns, etc.

What exactly do the sims do? I’ve ran one before but didn’t really understand the outcome.

When I see inconsistencies like that between guides, I try to then go take a look at the actual player’s history behind the guides to see what content they’re doing and whether or not their advice may be skewed toward a certain type of content.

For both authors, they are doing challenging M+ keystones and both are also in active mythic raid progression, so both of them have merit on all accounts.

Perhaps their stat priorities are based on their azerite choices or with their desired playstyle or their group composition for the content they do.

For example, a Resto druid may find it easier to dps and thus stacking some vers for more raw feral damage works good with certain tanks that have better mitigation but with others you may have to spend more time healing and therefore focusing more on your SF/MF dots as your means of damage could change which stats you prioritize over others and why.

A rudimentary explanation - It uses your gear, talents, enchants, etc to create a simulated results as so how well it performs. The results will give you estimated dps (your actual dps will vary on skill and situations) and stat weights. You can also compare gear against each other you own (Top Gear - VERY useful).

Install the simulation craft addon. In game type /simc and copy the text that pops up. Go to raidbots website and click on ‘stat weights’. Paste in the data and run it. It is that easy. From there you can see your stat weights and can even import it into pawn but you don’t have to do that.

wishful thinking, but i wish there were an addon that would tell you what gear in your bags you have to equip instead of constantly simming

1 Like

Simming takes all of 5 seconds to do, I pay a monthly fee of like $2 and have instant sims. There are addons that say whether something is an upgrade & the percentage but, it’ll never be as accurate as a sim.

I just did a quicksim for dps on raidbot. Apperantly my dps is 24,134. It didn’t give me an option to check heals.
But my stat weights for dps were
Mastery 3.26
Crit 2.94
Haste 2.68
Vers 2.68
Intell 2.50

Cool.

Questions?

Sims are slightly worthless for healing and tanking. Theyll only give you dps numbers.

1 Like

Just making sure I was looking at the right stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah healing is really weird. It’s too variant on immediate demands to sim properly, overhealing doesn’t count, and there’s a finite amount to be healed so your numbers tank if you overstack healers to help crutch learning a new fight (rdruid especially suffers from this because literally everyone else snipes us easily). The parse is nearly meaningless unless you’re on a full-on AOE healing speedometer fight like Vectis or something.

Use the Healer Stat Weights addon. It calculates weights dynamically based on how you’re actually healing in the moment, so you’ll want to check it while you’re doing a variety of content – M+, raids, etc. Generally speaking mastery outstrips everything and haste is next.

2 Likes

This varies drastically based on tank class too.

For example, the warrior sims take into account rage spent on mitigation like IP and SB so you actually get a reasonably accurate expectation of what your tank damage actually is. But if you look closely at the Guardian sims, they dump all rage into Maul and never once do the sims proc IF unless you’re using the Guardian’s Wrath trait and only if the rage spent for IF is 0; so the numbers you get are significantly skewed.

Agreed. The thing about sims is that the fundamentally can’t handle tanking or healing.

Tanking is about managing inputs in the form of taken damage.
Healing is about managing other people’s inputs, again in the form of taken damage.

DPS is all about outputs, which are much easier to sim because they are all about YOUR character.

So then maybe as far as healing I’m being a little obsessive as far as healing.

In that case I just need to make sure my dps is ok.

You’re right to take an interest in your stats. Not only will you see your performance improve, but a little theorycrafting can be fun.

Honestly, you’re ahead of all the players who don’t bother to research their toons, and simply come on the forums and complain.

2 Likes