Ice Barbed Spear acquisition question

So, Im a little confused. My Warrior is about to be at AV range, and Im curious on how exactly you go about acquiring IBS. Is it available now in SOM? Do you just win AV and the quest pops up to turn in? Tried looking at Wowhead, but just seemed to be a folks talking about which weapon was best

No you need to go to arathi and pick the quest up there. Then you do it, whatever faction… thats it.

1 Like

There’s a 1-time quest near the AV entrance in hillsbrad/alterac, which has an objective to win an AV match. (Can’t remember the name of the quest)

Pick that up, win a match, go turn it in. The rewards aren’t listed in the quest log though. After turning it in, talk to the same guy again and he’ll let you pick rewards, one of which is IBS.

2 Likes

Quest inside AV which requires 1 win in AV.

…dont get IBS as a warrior. The xbow is basically a mini Ouro gun. You can get better weaps that will replace IBS before 60

2-hand weapons? No you cant lol. Its (iirc) the best 2-hand weapon pre raid/exalted AV rep.

Actually kind of busted at 51.

2 Likes

Don’t listen to the person telling you not to get IBS.

An upgrade is an upgrade.

Plus, you complete the quest by doing something you were going to do anyway, so why not get the reward AND that sweet quest XP?

Why get an item that you’re going to replace by 60 instead of an item that you can use till AQ40? It’s a trap to take the spear

With no world buffs, just going for the 6% hit cap may not actually be optimal. Might be better off utilizing the ranged slot for more hit, at least early on. Rage generation without world buffs can start to get pretty rough, under around 8% hit. And getting a lot of hit early on as a warrior can be difficult without going up to rank 12-13.

The ranged slot is also the best budgeted slot to get hit on without sacrificing other stats. Bloodseeker is good, yes, but it’s not that good. If you can get a Blastershot, that might be worth the no hit since it’s got some stam as well, but ultimately my plan is to go for satyr’s > striker’s/blastershot > aq20 xbow if at all possible.

IBS on the other hand is a huge QoL upgrade for the grind from 51 to 60. Since AV rewards are in the game at launch, it’s a great choice, especially if you want to PvP a on the way to 60. At the end of the day, both IBS or Bloodseeker are fine choices. Neither are gamebreakingly good. Both get replaced sooner rather than later. The short term impact of IBS is much greater though, so that’s probably the right choice for most non-super hardcore players. And even then, the argument about needing more hit without world buffs is still there, so even if you choose Bloodseeker, you may not always be using it.

2 Likes

The ice barb is 58 blue which you can get as early at 51 from the AV victory quest. Even at 60, you’ll be hard pressed to replace it before obtaining an unstoppable force, also from AV. You should do the quest as soon as possible for the spear, then grind the rep up for the mace. The mace requires 60 to equip but you can work the rep sooner.

The crossbow reward is mainly for hunters. It is the best ranged weapon prior to raids. But as a melee class, you’d rather have 1% hit or crit here. As a warrior, hit is hard to come by. The ranged slot is one of the few options you have to slot 1% without a serious stat loss.

Edit: I don’t recommend listening to the monk sockpuppet. A melee class won’t use the bloodseeker any longer than it takes to get a 1% ranged weapon at 60. Having a fantastic 2h from 51-60 makes far more sense. Even if you hit cap your specials, dual wield uses additional hit for the auto swings and that is more valuable than the STR/AGI.

The 2hsword from Live strat is better for pvp since Polearm spec is trash

So you know the secret to successfully HS cancelling 100% of the time just like a perfectly optimal guybrush sim for an extra 1-2% damage.

Tell me your secrets.

Like I said, if you’re not min maxing, then it doesn’t matter. But heroic strike canceling will be the difference between 99 parses and 75 parses.

hahah exaggerate much?

you said you’d be hardplaced to replace it at 60. I just told you the better option

You guys are all missing the point entirely. The xbow is going to last you till AQ40. The IBS will be replaced a few hours after hitting 60. If you want the IBS get it, but it is not the better choice long term.

There are a number of points being made. But I’d say that HS queuing being the difference between a 75 and 99 parse is the most wildly inaccurate. Might wanna check your sources there mr. pro warrior.

It’s good to do sometimes in low stress situations or very predictable fights, I agree. But 100% of the time, no it’s not possible, and you will see a benefit from more than the hard cap hit % in a no world buff raid environment, which again is why I’m going for satyr > striker’s > aq20, etc.

Sims show that HS queuing may increase your overall damage by 1-2% when done in a perfect simulation by a robot. Unfortunately this doesn’t account for human error and all of the factors that go into rage management. Most people agree that focusing on your rotation and hitting your BT and WW on every CD is more beneficial, most of the time, than trying to do that AND HS cancel. Sure, do it on Nef and other boss fights where you’re literally standing there doing nothing else. But fights like that are not super common, especially with the encounter additions in SoM, which force melee to be on the move a lot more.

At the end of the day, neither item is a difference maker, whether you pick up IBS or Bloodseeker. Both are fine. People will argue until they’re blue in the face that you must take Bloodseeker if you want to be competitive but that’s simply not true.

Stop making heroic strike cancelling seem like a difficult thing. It’s not. It is mandatory to parse 99. All you need is a swing timer and /stopcasting after your HS. It’s far easier than sealtwisting and even that isn’t hard.

To min/max you will need the xbow and that’s the point I’m making. If you don’t want that, then get whatever you want. But there is only ONE shot at the xbow. A free BIS ranged that makes gearing a lot easier. Not telling someone about this before they make that mistake sucks. Is it as bad as not taking Diamond Flask? No. But in SoM bis loot is rare and you’re gonna kick yourself if you don’t get the xbow.

It’s not difficult… if you’re stationary. GLHF with that in SoM raids.

What other 2-hand are you going to replace it with BY 60?