I want to do rated but

I don’t know anyone irl who plays. And I don’t know anyone in game that well for us to trust each other with rated matches.
SO I feel like im just missing out because I never do any rated pvp. Also pvpers instantly call me noob (justly so) because I have 0 rating. :sob:

Everyone has 0 rating right now, just find some noobs to queue with in LFG next week and have fun. Start your own group and just take whoever signs up :man_shrugging:t2:

I Have never played a rated arena match. I get too nervous in arena skirmish, lose focus and start messing up. Its just too nerve racking to know that a lose will be even worse in rated.

Nah they’ll just ragequit and you find someone else. You’ll 99% never run across that person again anyways.

too many people put too much weight on the ‘rated’ title

if you lose 10 games out of 10 games your character isn’t deleted or nerfed or weakened

there’s 0 downside to playing as many games as you can with as many people as you can until you find the right partners to actually play for points
the worst that can happen is you might get better at the game in the process

17 Likes

Im guessing you come from league of legends?
Rated in this game means absolutely nothing but some extra rewards and real pvp experience if you are a meta class, for some its just something else to do in game and others its all they wanna do in game.

There’s another thread describing the PvP community as a trailer park. It’s pretty accurate. You will find toxic degenerate in LFG (and these forums) whos only accomplishment is their rating. (even if its 1800) Don’t let them bother you, everyone starts somewhere. Once you get over the initial learning curve it all starts to get easier.

1 Like

no ive never played that game. But I guess I was just taking the idea too seriously. If I can find a partner that Is cool and we can bolth except that we are not the most skilled players that would be great. I just don’t want to make some stranger super mad at me because I’m not that good.
Like I said. I get too nervous and flustered and start messing up.

it’s more realistic that the player getting upset really isnt that good

you will encounter this, there’s a ton of people that cant handle competitive environments at all
just dont let it get to you

make an lfg group with a "learning, new, saddle wins’ or something

do a lot of research, there are some really bad combinations that’ll cause you to lose though you wont understand why
examples like disc/destro/x or disc/melee cleave
or 2 non MS melee specs that aren’t dh/dk

once you kinda understand the overarching game meta / mechanics all that’s left is to log hours improving

what class do you play, if you’d like comp suggestions or advice that is

Everything said here is 100% accurate. An addition would be to learn the most common comps/meta comps and their win conditions.

Get used to people calling you the S word and trash. Most of them think they’re amazing and they’re only hardstuck because of their partners and lash out when they lose. That’s just the nature of the beast. You’ll eventually find someone that’s chill and will play games with you, esp at lower CR because they wanna cap.

I play fury warrior. Some advice would be much appreciated. essences traits ect.

do you have anything in particular against arms?:sweat_smile:

No. I’m open to playing arms for sure
would you recommend it over fury for 2v2?
and Im also willing to try prot in 3v3 if its usefull

Try r/worldofpvp on reddit. It’s a lot more welcoming to new players and there’s a thread specifically for finding teammates

fury is good in battleground and 1v1 content

it lacks a ton in arenas/rbgs though

the biggest drawback to fury is it’s lack of ‘mortal wounds’ which is the 25% healing reduction debuff shared by arms/ww/hunter pets/assass rogue wound poison
fury doesn’t have enough pressure or any niche that would outpace not having mortal wounds the way dk/dh do

typically you’ll want to build your comp around having MS + synergy

arms fortunately has usually the widest comp variety available to them out of most other specs

you’ll ideally in this order for the most part
wanna find

Dh>Dk>Destrolock>Firemage> > > > > > Retpaladin>Enhancement shaman

dh though is by far hands down the most forgiving and easy partner to play/learn with

this is a really big thing
even as someone whos played for like 10 years and is usually casually fairly high rated, if i’m no voice lfging on an alt and i feel like someone will have a bad attitude (typically melee players with 2200 achievements from 10 years ago) i just turn off pchat and hit q and dont interact with them
if they rage at the wall they can
if they tilt at lack of retort they can leave npnp

if you’re playing dh/arms or arms/dk or even arms/destro you very rarely need communication if you just pay a little attention to what they’re doing

2 Likes

I’m not high-rated but I definitely improved to get a half-way decent rating. In my opinion, it helps to do a lot of skirmishes to remove that nervousness and just stop caring about what these people think. If they rage, you know they’ve got issues. Also, I’ve met several partners through skirmishes and solidified my consistent 2’s partner who was originally just as bad as me haha. GL

1 Like

Hey Jontom,
This is an aspect of the game that is a bit unsavory because it takes some time to develop synergy and teams. Here are some things that helped me get better during my first entry into arenas.

Be transparent with your experience, no one likes to play with a liar.

Listen to the constructive criticism, no body knows everything

Do your homework on players that excel at your class
what are they doing different than you

Get in there and lose alot, Experience is experience imo.

Most of all make sure to have fun. If you are not having fun what is the point?

2 Likes

That all goes away if you just queue a lot. Eventually your nerves will settle down as you get familiar with what is happening. That will also be the point where you start to improve.

3 Likes

Just go ahead and @me

1 Like