I want an option to dps as blood

I really love the theme of the spec, i just can’t stand the thought of having to tank to do it. apparently it was a thing back then? so can we have it back?

19 Likes

You can DPS as Blood. Just not very much.

Edit: I’ve actually done more damage than some DPS classes at times.

3 Likes

Same here. I use my top notch gear (ilvl>all set) for progression/important tanking stuff, and use another set that’s a labeled as DPS which drops my ilvl from like 458 to 452.

I use it for when I’m out and about doing world content. I’ve definitely pulled more DPS than some of my raid members at times as blood.

It’s not gonna be no high end dps, but It works.

1 Like

The game has changes substantially since the days of Blood dps, and being able to talent into certain specs without needing to perform it’s role.

Even during the time of Blood dps, the spec was an amalgamation of the entire class, instead of what we now have in 3 very distinct themes.

While it’s certainly debatable this has become a problem to classes, thematically, it has done wonders for a good many specs, such as Blood.

3 Likes

Yeah but you can’t go out and dps like in dungeons without pulling aggro though, which is what I want.

1 Like

Truth be told, Blood Death Knights have a theme indistinguishable from Arms Warriors but a tad bit less cool.

Eh, I think they’re cool, I just wish I could actually do stuff with them without being shoehorned into tanking

1 Like

Blood was a dps spec back when DKs were first introduced. They changed tanking to blood, because tanking as frost didn’t feel right to many people. It was easier to hold aggro as blood, than it was frost. I’m not sure if thats the real reason of why they ended up changing it.

Why couldn’t they have chosen unholy though?

I can attest to that. Blood is my rarely used second spec, but often during the start of BFA in WM, I had to resort to this for questing in Kul Tiras.

I held my own once against 3 other toons at an Azerite WQ. At times, it really felt gear dependent. I’d find a higher ilvl and stat 2HD and go with it.

As with Frost, the stupid 1Hs almost never drop and I need two of them.

3 Likes

Honesty I find unholy really boring and frost is fun to play, but you need 2 1hand weapons to gear and it’s just not as cool as sucking the life out of someone.

2 Likes

Blood DPS was awesome, leveled a DK in Wrath as Blood DPS, and rarely had problems even with some group quests. I honestly wish Blizz would bring Blood DPS back, with a talent like Gladiator stance in WoD. Would also like to see 2h Frost return as well.

2 Likes

I didn’t play then sadly, but it’d be fun to have that experience. Hopefully blizzard will add something like that

Yeah you can I have a blood dk in my mplus amd raid team he never pulls agro and sots pretty good on the dps meters usually 2-3 and currently is rocking 127 corruption but with his self sustain as blood requires little to no healing from me

If you couldn’t hold threat as frost in wrath you probably couldn’t do it as blood either. Rune strike was important in any spec you wanted to tank with and did a high amount of threat and wasn’t on the gcd. You just made a macro for all of your attacks so you didn’t actually have to press the button. Also when the change to Icy Touch happened due to the dodge nerf in ICC which resulted in less rune strikes, they changed the threat modifier to be through the roof and frost had more access to frost runes that no one could out threat a frost dk.

The reason why Blood was chosen was because people were solo tanking heroic Lich King as blood. I remember them talking about why they chose it and even explaining stuff about having a tank that was different than the others through healing the damage done to them than mitigating it, though we all know avoiding the damage outright is better than trying to heal it (look at disc some expansions).

I absolutely highly doubt that Blizzard is going to do a spec within a spec ever again. Every iteration of a spec inside a spec has been removed or in the case of feral a 4th spec for tanking was created which is Guardian. Everything points to them not wanting specs inside of specs, or roles within a spec that is a different role. Gladiator I’d gone, dark apotheosis is gone, guardian is a separate spec. And then specs within specs are gone, single minded fury, 2h frost, ww monk 2h.

If any of these are to come back then Blizzard has to change internally in design philosophy.

Tanking as blood is great. Running around in the open world doing quests with one felt awkward. But at this point I might go for it again if a 2H dropped.

Both frost and Blood need a haste boost. There are certain stages during the leveling experience where my output flows smoothly, but the closer you get to end game the more you feel handicapped by lack of enough haste. Dual wielding should be fast. I look at my WW monk and my fury warriors as superior.

Wait how do you do that?

Do what? Can you be a bit more specific?

Be a blood death knight and pull decent dps without taking threat

I can ask my tanks and find out but when im tanking and he is dps I do struggle a bit on skittish weeks but the rest is fine. I assume he also watches his own threat and would simply swap targets if he feels 1 is too high.