I treated BFA to harshly

I didn’t say you did?

Other people defending it literally brought that up first.

I said that if the quickest way to travel a city is by killing yourself , breaking your gear, playing a specific race, or buying things off the AH that it may not be a well designed hub for people on a practical level.

Funny enough I probably go back there more often on my main than y’all.

1 Like

Legion>MoP>TBC>Wrath>Cata>Bfa>>WoD>DF>SL

2 Likes

I am playing through BFA again now with my wife who never did it.

We deliberately avoided getting the heart and I have found the experience much more enjoyable. Then again I liked BFA first time through.

We are nearly done the Horde side and then we are aiming to do the Alliance side on other alts.

3 Likes

I played as a banshee loyalist. Like it felt fuller doing that than doing the Alliance side. Tail end of BFA I was on the Alliance and it kind of fell flat for me, even when doing quests and the like for the Alliance characters that I level through it.

1 Like

Okay? The game still went out of its way to tell you that you were bad and wrong for things it gave you no choice about doing. I think that was terrible game design.

1 Like

BFA is one of my favorite expansions. Minus the corruption bit at the end.
Still think Boralus is Blizzard’s best city done so far. It felt so DnD’ish.

And who could foget Magni.
Well I would but he won’t let me.

3 Likes

No it actually was like you were Sylvanas’ trusted confidant and she didn’t have anyone else to get this done and other things. It’s been a while since I played through it.

And at least quote the whole thing?

1 Like

The Horde lost in every way possible once BFA launched. It got really old every patch.

3 Likes

And everything else in the game was telling us that what Sylvanas wanted to do was pure, iredeemable, unforgiveable villainy. Thalyssra even compared it to the Burning Legion at one point, ferpetessake. The Sylvanas loyalist stuff was an afterthought; the game was clearly written with the assumption that we’d all want to join Saurfang’s rebellion (which I also disliked, for the record.)

2 Likes

I highly recommend Drustvar, it has a fantastically creepy ghost-story vibe. The other two zones… eh, there’s been better, there’s been worse.

3 Likes

For me it was a sure Jan kind of a thing. Like I took it more as you were trying to be a very convincing spy working for Sylvanas. You had to be very very convincing and make it look like you were with the rebellion, while in reality you weren’t. Then again I’m an rper that goes big brain when it comes to rp stuff.

1 Like

I actually think Tiragarde Sound is underrated. It’s the one place where Azerite is really relevant, it has a consistent villain in Lady Ashvane, and there’s some fun pirate stuff. But Stormsong Valley is just a mess (though even that has its moments—I really love Moxie Lockspinner, for example).

1 Like

It really did feel like the devs were caught flat footed when their view of Sylvanas wasn’t universal.

I mean, there’s a whole playable race of cannibal zombies, you think EVERYONE who rolled one of those up did so thinking “I will OPPOSE my people’s vicious ways!”? Some of us just like playing badguys >;)

It reminded me of that Drizzt guy from D&D, the “one good drow” who became so popular and so copied that you started to wonder if there were actually any evil drow left for all of them to rebel against.

2 Likes

I loved MoP and Legion, but also (am apparently in a minority? that) truly enjoyed the start of BfA’s story and levelling experience, on the Horde side in particular. I regretted only trying it after a while because I usually play Alliance, and I agree there really was something special about Zandalar. I replayed it levelling an alt the other week, I revisit once or twice per year when I actually do level alts and relish in the experience. There was just something special about it all that hasn’t been replicated later IMO.

3 Likes

I had a blast during BfA. I played everyday. Not as good as legion but so much better than SL.
I loved the Alliance zones. Boralus Harbor was a great central point. Horde zones, not so much.
Easy gearing, never felt i was forced to M+. I even had a great time doing Visions solo or with a friend.
I never got bored in BfA.

2 Likes

Some do, and some saw them as kinda tragic and wanted to play up the aspect of being rejected by everyone yet finding strength even in that situation. And almost no forsaken players (that I know of) actually liked their potrayal in Before the Storm, where they were sad, fragile, oppressed victims of that meanie Sylvanas who really just wanted to die and/or get hugs from their living family members.

2 Likes

Same here! I will be honest with myself and admit that my BfA-enjoyment factor was probably so high because I had just graduated and could play every single day after work and be on-top of the grinds. I thought Legion was epic but barely got to enjoy it because of how busy I was. Now that I’m in uni I’m busier again, but still enjoy the game… and think WoW needs a directional fix ASAP. It definitely feels emptier than ever.

Here’s my wild take: I sometimes think that thematically, BfA should have been “the last expansion” and WoW 2.0 should have just been faction war, pirates, island DLCs with horizontal progression. An overall cheaper, prettier (due to would-be engine and graphical updates) game with more freedom (that you can still play like classic if you desired) instead of multiple clients with stagnating content cycles and a fragmented player base.

4 Likes

I’ve been told the devs have been conflicted on the Forsaken from day one, with some seeing them as badguys playing along until they can unleash their evil, and others seeing them as woe-is-me victims being blamed for the Scourge’s actions. You really saw it in the questing, too, even in Vanilla, with half the questgivers acting like supervillains and half ready to be put out of their misery.

And honestly it could have just kept on going like that forever if they hadn’t made the crazy decision to put Sylvanas in the spotlight. It just ended up highlighting how screwed up everything to do with an undead player race had become. If she and the Forsaken had just stayed in the background, we wouldn’t have half the problems in the story we do now.

Granted, we’d probably have a whole mess of OTHER problems, but at least I could eat people in peace.

3 Likes

But you have to admit that the moment she was named Warchief and in the cinematic she just stands there in shock as Baine and the others take Vol’jin’s body away and tries to prepare him for his funeral. Like she had to have stood there for maybe hours before the realizations just hit her in the face and she was like “ah fel. I have to give a speech and do all this stuff.”

Even in Before the Storm she curses Vol’jin with making her warchief and hates every moment of it internally. Externally she’s like yes this is fine.

2 Likes

I hated the systems they created for our classes so much that it ruined the expansion for me. Going back, the zones are nice. Lol still a grind even today.

It’s just like they full swing thing they do, you know? Legion prepatch they homogenized the classes to the point I felt I didn’t like any of them besides the new denim hunters. Then they went crazy in bfa with extra stuff to get with the necklace while adding a couple useless spells back for us. Shadowlands did at least make the classes better.

1 Like