I Thought LFG Authenticator Stopped WTS LFG?

I posted here a few weeks ago saying that the mandatory authenticator would do nothing. Can this requirement please be removed? It is clearly a data grab and has nothing to do nor any effect on stopping this nuisance…

5 Likes

3 Likes

Data grab? What does the authenticator get them that they don’t already have?

The strange thing in all of this is that they haven’t mandated the Authenticator for all players just for account security.

1 Like

You mean that data grab for all the data they already have from you?

3 Likes

It didn’t, I still report at least 10 a day.

2 Likes

your phone number which can sync you up to other marketing databases, also an app ToS to monitor your smartphone meta data.

2 Likes

I am betting most people give out more personal information to sites like Uber Eats and Doordash…

4 Likes

No because the morons think that bots can’t get past the ‘click all the tiles with cars in them’ security checks.

The Authenticator and the SMS requirement on shenanigans completely and totally can not be worked around and is foolproof rolls eyes

1 Like

How many messages / calls have you received so far from having your authenticator linked?

and the Titanic is unsinkable!

2 Likes
  1. i don’t have it linked so IDK
  2. the dilemma isn’t about receiving calls, it’s just annoying to be forced to use a service that i don’t want and that i haven’t needed to use for the first 17 years of this game. it was ‘sold’ to us as a way to stop WTS LFG. That clearly didn’t work and other posters here scoffed and said it stopped WTS LFG.

So what is the actual intention of mandating the authenticator to have full access to LFG? The only thing I can think of is further market penetration with metadata, which is extremely common nowadays.

I believe it is actually the placebo effect as to why they do this. Think along the lines of the TSA driven changes involving the airports and plane restrictions post 9/11.

People see you introducing methods ‘of making it harder for bots’ and feel safer/better. Makes seeing it in game a little more tolerable because ‘Blizz is working on it and i don’t have to worry as much because it will be minimized again.’

It doesn’t matter that between 2-6 weeks depending on how dedicated the bot writers are and how the hoop that requires jumping through is designed for the new protection to inevitably get circumvented. The status quo goes back to where it was before all while your general masses are appeased because they still have to go through the hoops.

2 Likes

I would bet $100 that you have never read the TOS or EULA for wow. If you had, you’d know that they could make this change just fine, and you have already consented, more than a decade ago, to allowing it.

It wasn’t “sold” to you that way. That’s not a legitimate argument.

1 Like

this has nothing to do with the legal grounds of requiring the authenticator - the ToS. It is about me not wanting to use the authenticator, which is a completely valid argument.

argument is

1. the authenticator is not effective at stopping WTS LFG, which was its stated purpose
  2. therefore the authenticator has no purpose
  3. i don’t want to use the authenticator because it’s inconvenient and has no purpose
  4. i can speculate it’s purpose is a datafarm because its stated purpose is absurd

I got a addon that stops boosting ads in LFG. Forgot what it is called but it works.

“I don’t want to because I don’t want to” is a valid argument. “This game was sold to me with no authenticator requirement so I should never need to change,” which is the argument I’m responding to at the moment, is not a valid argument.

I also disagree that it’s inconvenient. I interact with it a couple times a year, almost exclusively when logging into the forums. It’s completely in the background and it’s not intrusive. It’s not like years ago when you had to type in the code every time you logged in. I haven’t had to engage with the authenticator to log into the game since building a new PC.

I saw a reduction in spam in LFG, though not a big enough one. Banning boost communities will do more to solve the problem than the authenticator requirement.

You can argue that it hasn’t been effective and should be removed now that another better solution is in place. I personally think everyone should get an authenticator. It’s a no-brainer security feature.

Bad Boy I believe

so i’m not allowed to have an opinion about a product that i don’t want to use? :joy:

I dont think anyone thinks things like authenticators are impossible to beat so much as its another layer for hackers to get through, filtering out the brute force ones while being at worst a minor inconvenience for the legit account holder

I mean, for me, considering this is a team game, it’s a massive inconvenience and borderline ruins the entire experience. Then to see it be totally ineffective really adds insult to injury.