I think... Classic

Didn’t they say it could last the entirety of phase 1?

No. Never.

They guaranteed it would be gone by Phase 2, whenever someone asked if Layering would affect World Bosses, but that was because World Bosses don’t exist in Phase 1.

It’s like saying “Did the Sumerian empire ever fight with the Romans?” “No, the Sumerians died out before the Roman Empire.”.

And reading that as “Wow, the Sumerian empire lasted until the start of the Roman empire??”

Okay but where are you getting this 3 weeks from? Saying it will definitely be gone by phase 2 doesn’t roll out it being in game for the duration of phase 1

Try to raid, or get through a 5 man, or PvP, or island expedition, or kill the elite world quests… Oh, right, you need other people and you play with other people…

Go back to retail and the Wall of No, please.

Not directly, no.

They said it’d be gone by Phase 2.

That means it can last up to Phase 2, not necessarily that it will last that long.

An interview where “a few weeks” was the phrase used. They’re just guessing, same as anyone else.

No one actually knows how long layering will be around; not even Blizzard.

We promise we’ll do this a few weeks in

You’re brave Eloraell. This is SO not the hill I’m willing to die on :woozy_face:

I don’t think you get the point. In retail I could replace those people at random, doesn’t matter, I could sub them out for AI helpers, wouldn’t change a thing. I’m not talking about mythic raiding here, I’m talking about the bulk of the game that people play being LFR and mythic +.

In Vanilla it had impact with who you play with and how you treat those people. They were people you could give advice to in order for your run to go smoother or you could piss them off and lose that player and wait 30min finding a replacement who would travel all that way to the dungeon. People had something called investment in their community, guild, actions, and reputation. Doesn’t mean there weren’t a-holes, but even they had to get in line if they wanted a shot at advancing their character. The elitist still required help from the group, raid, profession masters to get to their prestige.

Your experience in retail might be different. I’m not saying that all experience the same thing, but the bulk of experiences and reaction of dropping subs is evidence that they are not enjoying the streamlined game of retail. If you happened to find good community in retail, all the better for you and hope you continue to enjoy it. I also ask that you don’t try to rain on people’s joy for something they want “classic.”

2 Likes

It sucks being wrong eh?

Except that in retail, they can be mute strangers that you will never ever see again. They may as well be NPCs.

Don’t tout it as an MMO when you play with other players when you never have to speak to speak to them on even the most basic of levels.

That is the very nature of every single game, online or otherwise.

The community changed first before the game, you can’t ignore that people and their available time changed way more dramatically and far more quickly than the game did, ignoring and saying this fact doesnt exist or is incorrect is wrong, all blizzard did was keep up with the player bases available time to play.

Copout.

Whatever. Subs were at an all time high when they started making gamebreaking changes.

The difference is that BfA is heavily curated, while classic is more freeform.

1.12 is a nerfed version of Vanilla. Will i still play it? Hell ya.

Both the community and the game changed. Arguing which changed first is a chicken or egg argument. I think the game changed first, and the community followed the path of least resistance , but that doesn’t automatically make me right.

I bailed out on Cataclysm, skipped MoP and returned at the end of WoD. The game I came back to was so radically different than the one I remember. I think it is a lot of little things, disguised as quality of life changes that sucked the soul out of the game and the community. I didn’t even see it until I came back WoD.

Professions are gutted. There is no real reason you need to interact with other players for anything. CRZ makes your zone have players in it, but they are random and anonymous. You may see them today, but will never see that person again. LFD and LFR means you don’t need to join a guild or network to find people to run with. Just click a button and the game will set you up with a group. You’ll never run with anyone in that group again, so no reason to speak to them or consider them as anything other than NPCs that allow you to finished the content. Questing is easily solo-able, elites and rares? Again solo-able and even worse, open tag, so you don’t even need to bother to group with anyone to get “credit” for a kill. It all makes the game feel like a single-player game that just happens to have other people playing around you.

I did a random LFD heroic in Legion that included a DH tank and DH dps. They certainly didn’t need a healer and ran through the dungeon so fast I couldn’t keep up despite using my movement ability on CD. By the end, I was almost 2 rooms behind them and the final boss died as I got to them. Gave new meaning to the term “dungeon run.” I failed to see what was supposed to be fun about that experience, because it wasn’t.

Even Trade Chat, which was always filled with trolls, is just an anonymous overflowing toilet with nothing game related in it, where before there was at least game related stuff sprinkled in among the trolls.

The game is different and the community is different. Some people like the way it has changed, it suits their playstyle and their goals in the game, and that’s fine. But for other people, the changes have resulted in a game experience that is less fun. That second group of people are extremely likely to be looking forward to Classic. I am in that second group.

I really don’t understand what there is to argue about here. People are different and like different things.

3 Likes

I can do literally the same exact thing in classic. It was actually a very common thing that people would tend to run with their guild rather than pug. These forums actually warn against pugging. So what’s your point?

Once again, it’s YOUR choices that are affecting your perception of the community, not the community itself.

I’ve ran with familiar faces in mythics in legion all the time, then again i main tank and there isn’t any reason to not group with a familiar tank you can trust to get you through the dungeon, I’ve also seen familiar faces in zones as well. Then again a lot of those people are ones I’ve tanked for.

Oof mate, chillax.

1 Like

This is true, Classic will not be glorious as it should be.

Fixed it for you

I’m going to assume you can understand that your experience does not invalidate anyone else’s experience.