I pay $12 for FFXIV. Why pay $15 for Classic?

The Pizza guy said it best.

You're paying a different amount of money because it's a different product.

Why are you paying $12/mo for FFXIXXXVXVXXIIIIXIXIXIXXXVVVVVVV when you could be playing The Elder Scrolls Online for free?
3 Likes
It follows the concept of #nochanges, so what are you complaining about?
2 Likes
11/10/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Melaned
11/10/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Ironsides

So what you're saying is, you'll pay $15 for classic WoW, but if they gave you access to their retail content you'd quit WoW entirely?

I must be misreading this, because that sounds absolutely bonkers

You are misreading. They are saying if it was 15$ for classic ONLY or if it costed more for them combined then they would not bother.

Exactly.

If WoW: Classic had a separate $15 monthly fee, I wouldn't play WoW: Classic. I joined back in patch 1.2 and payed for vanilla while Blizzard was actively cranking out new content for vanilla. With all of WoW: Classic's content already created for it, why would we have to pay $15 a month again? To keep the servers running, even though WoW has a fraction of its former player base? For the cost of reviving an old build of the game? The monthly fee would surely have to be less than $15. This is all purely hypothetical, of course. I didn't expect Blizzard to require players to pay a separate $15 monthly fee for WoW: Classic. I'm just saying that I would quit if there was a separate $15 monthly fee for Classic.

If the current monthly fee, which is going to include Classic for no additional charge, was going to be raised because of WoW: Classic's inclusion, I would likely quit playing WoW altogether. They made a decent call by merely including access to WoW: Classic for no additional charge if you have active game time / an active subscription.
1 Like
11/10/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Xerash
If WoW: Classic had a separate $15 monthly fee, I wouldn't play WoW: Classic.

Quoted only that to keep it small.

I will say that while I do not agree with you, it is not my say in how others feel how their money is spent.

I will note however your point is much more reasonable than some "one time only fee and then no sub fee ever!" lol.

If the current monthly fee, which is going to include Classic for no additional charge, was going to be raised because of WoW: Classic's inclusion, I would likely quit playing WoW altogether. They made a decent call by merely including access to WoW: Classic for no additional charge if you have active game time / an active subscription.

I will actually agree to this. If they just tossed it in then forced everyone to pay more even if they did not want either then that would be total BS move.

Edit: My original idea was this.
7-8$ for classic standalone.
15$ for both together (basically free with current).

I personally would be willing to go 15$ on classic only but that is bout the limit for me. And it's mostly on merit to how it originally costed us having not changed since it came out.
1 Like
11/10/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Melaned
This is a non-argument.

Analogy:
You have two pizza joints.
X and Y.
X serves a Pizza for 10$
Y serves a Pizza for 9$

Both restaurants have a lot of renown but the pizza place X was the first pizza joint in your town and is well-known and loved the quality of their pizzas. Place Y is a much newer location that is in the process of making Pizzas on par with place X but it has less renown and the flavors are not exactly the same.

They use difference sauces, specialize in a New York style Pizza where X is more Chicago style. X also offers varieties that Y does not. Their Alfredo Pizza "is to die for". (Anology in case you do not get it, FF's MMO PVP is not exactly... great....)

Which one would you go to if you preferred a more chicago style pizza? Or if you wanted a really good Alfredo?
If the one dollar in difference didn't bother you then you'd go to place X.
Or what if you prefered the sauces that Y used, or the more New York pizza style suited you if say you were actually from New York maybe?
Of course you'd go Y.

They officer similar products. But their products are different in varrying ways. They also come with the brands of the places that make them. Brand recognition is a serious deal maker.

If you prefer the final fantasy game, then go for it. I am actually thinking of trying it out myself as I've heard how amazing they did the professions in that game. But I will always be a Warcraft player, specifically Classic (as long as they do not ruin it). But if you want to come back to WoW and the price difference does not bother you that much then come back for Classic.

People like myself do not mind paying the same price for this "pizza". We've always paid the same. It's still just as valuable. And yes, price competitions do exist, but that also depends on exactly how different the products are.

You can have a third Pizza join, Z that serves pizza for 5$. But their pizza is cheaper because of the style and the ingredients are more streamlined. Cheap cheese and an even cheaper array of toppings. People will buy their pizza if they really do not want to spend the 9-10 on the others. And some may prefer the 5$ pizza.

TLDR
Two different companies. Two different Products. While they are similar they are not exactly the same by a long shot. Brand recognition along with history and a title to stout earn one game a higher price. Differing variables will affect their overall prices. To expect the same price is to completely ignore economics entirely.

The only problem is that WoW classic is not getting future content to my knowledge. I'm paying more for a game that's already existed and is getting unnecessary changes. Charging $15 for a game that is not getting much work done after release is greedy imo. I compare the two because if one company can offer $12 for an mmo that is new and getting updated, I don't know why Blizzard can't do better for a game that's already been out for years.

This isn't a judgement of whether I like something more or not. It's a judgement of the money I'm paying versus the work the devs are doing is unbalanced. I'm comparing to other MMOS because you would do the same if you're comparing different restaurants. The problem with your analogy is you're not taking into account the amount of content you're getting. A more appropriate analogy would be comparing taste AND portion size.

In this case, I'm paying $12 for a large pizza from Dominos while PizzaHut is charging me $15 for a small. We can talk all we want about taste and preference, but you can't deny that the amount being offered is way different.

Blizzard has been greedy for a while now. Diablo Immortal is a good example of that, they could easily charge less for classic and seperate the two subs, but they won't because it looks bad to investors. By doing this they are able to buff their sub numbers and make investors think modern WoW is doing better than it really is. There's a lot of white knights defending charging full $15 for an old game. I have more than enough money to pay for this game, but I don't have that money by spending it on stupid things.
4 Likes
11/10/2018 01:58 PMPosted by MĂžtherchurch
I would pay $30 per month for classic no question.

That's absolutely stupid and you're just becoming a pay piggy for Blizzard. I don't know if you're using your parent's credit card, but I hope you have better money management then that.
2 Likes
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769628698?page=1

that's what i was saying earlier i don't have that much money so i don't see what's wrong with the option to buy just the classic version if that's all you want
1 Like
11/10/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Destroynme
The only problem is that WoW classic is not getting future content to my knowledge.

This is where it is actually a really smart move by Blizzard. Because this argument is null and void.

See the thing is, we are not solely subbing for Classic only. And while I wish we could, I understand what Blizzard is doing. They're not stupid (except for whoever said it was a great idea to do the mobile introduction at Blizzcon without ANYTHING of a current upcoming pc for diablo). By doing this they attain more subs for current and avoid this "no new content" argument.

Why? Because you are paying for both. See when the next expansion comes out, those who did not have BfA will attain BfA content on their current wow sub. Those who pay for it will attain the new expansion on their current sub. So while Classic in itself may not be gaining content, you are still getting something through the current Sub.

Is it a bit asinine of a move? Yes, but a company is a company. Expect stuff like this.

I'm paying more for a game that's already existed and is getting unnecessary changes.

You're paying for them taking 2-3 years to remake a game that used to exist. Let us be honest here. While private servers are close, they are not the exact same thing, and yes, Classic won't be either, but putting it all together with a paid team requires serious work. What they are doing is essentially making it an accessible current game that has the security and recognition it should have. One without the masses of bugs and unreliability of the private servers. And let's be frank, pitching illegal private servers against Blizzard would be unfair.

This isn't a judgement of whether I like something more or not. It's a judgement of the money I'm paying versus the work the devs are doing is unbalanced.

Then it is a judgment that is misinformed.

2-3 years to rebuild it with the old code is work. Yes they have a leg up, but they also have to get everything exactly spot on too. It's not like making a new game where you have free decisions, these guys have to actually take the game they are working on, take old photos and videos and compare everything to get it spot bloody on. To be ignorant to that is reasonable but to undermine that is downright wrong.

The problem with your analogy is you're not taking into account the amount of content you're getting.

That's where, as said, you are wrong.
See X(Blizzard) is giving you their current product with the classic product. You are paying for both. You are getting an equivalent amount of content with a streaming amount. While it is arguably asinine(of them not you) that you say, only want the bread sticks(classic) but you have to buy the pizza(current) to get them, you are still getting a whole pizza.

Blizzard has been greedy for a while now.

A company without greed is a basement project gone wrong.

but they won't because it looks bad to investors. By doing this they are able to buff their sub numbers and make investors think modern WoW is doing better than it really is. There's a lot of white knights defending charging full $15 for an old game. I have more than enough money to pay for this game, but I don't have that money by spending it on stupid things.

I will, like said, agree that they are being asinine.

But I would gladly pay the same fee I have paid for years, especially knowing I get both subs, knowing that that amount will make sure that the company stays afloat. If Blizzard ONLY charged enough to maintain classic and did not make any smart moves to encourage better investment into their company then they would not be gaining anything from this and it would be a very bad move.
1 Like
11/10/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Destroynme
11/10/2018 01:58 PMPosted by MĂžtherchurch
I would pay $30 per month for classic no question.

That's absolutely stupid and you're just becoming a pay piggy for Blizzard. I don't know if you're using your parent's credit card, but I hope you have better money management then that.

Someone taking into account the value of the ability to play this game at a higher rate than you does not make them simply terrible at money management. Let's be honest there are people who pay more for TV subscriptions and get less entertainment out of that than what we get with WoW.

What I value this game at and what you value this game at are entirely different points. My values base on my experiences, my time investments, my specific enjoyments as well as my monetary ability. If I made a 6-7 figure income then paying 50$+ for WoW would mean little to nothing to me. If I had a minimum wage income then paying 15$ would be a substantial difference in whether I can do something like pay for gas.
4 Likes
11/10/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Gobbyjr

that's what i was saying earlier i don't have that much money so i don't see what's wrong with the option to buy just the classic version if that's all you want

Blizzard is a company. They will make decisions on what is best for them. The cost of losing people who would be willing to pay 10$ for a separate subscription, to them, does not outweigh the gain they get from adding it to their current 15$ sub.

Is it asinine to those players? OFC! But a company will make decisions to ensure profit and longevity. And honestly that's the best thing. If they did not do that and fell through then everyone would lose classic if they went down, much less all of the other games.
1 Like
11/10/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Melaned
11/10/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Gobbyjr

Blizzard is a company. They will make decisions on what is best for them. The cost of losing people who would be willing to pay 10$ for a separate subscription, to them, does not outweigh the gain they get from adding it to their current 15$ sub.

Is it asinine to those players? OFC! But a company will make decisions to ensure profit and longevity. And honestly that's the best thing. If they did not do that and fell through then everyone would lose classic if they went down, much less all of the other games.

Blizzard isn't some small indie company that is on the verge of bankruptcy but doing things out of passion. They are BlizzardActivision, a company that makes millions and is doing things like selling out the Diablo IP for some quick cash. Blizzard is a huge company, there is no point in shilling for them. Just because something makes sense financially for them doesn't mean it should be accepted by their customers.
2 Likes
If WoW: Classic had a separate $15 monthly fee, I wouldn't play WoW: Classic.

Quoted only that to keep it small.

I will say that while I do not agree with you, it is not my say in how others feel how their money is spent.

I will note however your point is much more reasonable than some "one time only fee and then no sub fee ever!" lol.

My reasoning comes down to personal preference and the value of what we were given in the past for the same price. Again, hypothetically, I just don't see why Classic should have a $15 sub fee when Blizzard doesn't have to create any content for it. All they have to do is revive an old build, get it working with modern architecture and iron out the bugs. Don't get me wrong, this is a massive undertaking, but it's nothing compared to the mammoth that was creating the game from scratch (well, from Warcraft III) and actively developing new content for it post launch.

The cost for reviving an old build of the game can't possibly be higher than the cost of creating the game from scratch and then creating content for it post launch, unless I'm grievously mistaken. WoW: Classic has the benefit of having all of its content already created for it. Given that MMORPG subscriptions are, in part (key words: in part), justified by the prospect of receiving new content, how could WoW: Classic justify having a $15 monthly fee again? Coupled with the fact that WoW has a fraction of its former player base, how could we justify the game having the same monthly fee? No new content, all of the content is already created for it and the server strain will likely be lessened; we would be paying $15 a month for a product that received far less work and almost certainly costed less resources to develop.

11/10/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Melaned

I will actually agree to this. If they just tossed it in then forced everyone to pay more even if they did not want either then that would be total BS move.

Edit: My original idea was this.
7-8$ for classic standalone.
15$ for both together (basically free with current).

I personally would be willing to go 15$ on classic only but that is bout the limit for me. And it's mostly on merit to how it originally costed us having not changed since it came out.

Your original idea resonates well with me.

The only issue with Blizzard's decision to merely include access to WoW: Classic via active game time for no additional charge concerns the players that are dead against playing modern WoW. These players are forced to pay for access to both versions of WoW when they have no desire to play modern WoW and it also means that Classic-only players are paying the same monthly fee as modern WoW when WoW: Classic already had all of its content created for it back in 2004.

Sure, the dual access benefits Classic players that also play modern WoW, but it doesn't give the Classic (edit: Classic-only) players access to a MMORPG of the same comparative value; one that is constantly being developed and coming out with new content. I say this in spite of many Classic-only players not wanting the game to receive any additional content, but my point is that Classic-only players should have the option to pay for a separate, Classic-only fee at a reduced price because it is not going to be an actively developed, ever-evolving MMORPG.

$15 a month for both and $7.99 - $9.99 for Classic only sounds fantastic in my opinion and I am actually quite disappointed in Blizzard for not offering Classic-only players a more reasonable fee to play the version of WoW they lost long ago. A separate, cheaper fee for Classic wouldn't likely affect me as I would opt for the bundle, but I imagine that there are many potential Classic-only players out there that are wondering why they have to pay the same monthly fee as modern WoW players when modern WoW is constantly evolving and receiving new content, yet Classic has all of the content that it is ever going to have already created for it.

Blizzard isn't likely to offer a cheaper experience to Classic-only players because they can get away with charging them the same fee as modern players, but it's a great idea in the eyes of consumers.
2 Likes
11/10/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Destroynme
Blizzard isn't some small indie company that is on the verge of bankruptcy but doing things out of passion. They are BlizzardActivision, a company that makes millions and is doing things like selling out the Diablo IP for some quick cash. Blizzard is a huge company, there is no point in shilling for them. Just because something makes sense financially for them doesn't mean it should be accepted by their customers.

There's a difference between shilling for them and understanding how companies work and how looking at the long run is always better than just the current now.

That IP drop just costed them a lot of money, things like that happening in large scales can eventually kill a company. And if a company stagnates it only worsens their ability to maintain gaining value which is what a company is meant to do.

Listen, I am not here calling you out or anything. I am simply discussing where you are incorrect at looking at things and trying to help you better understand. I've even called their moves asinine. I hope you understand that.

Edit:
Also on your last line. I missed that.
Thing is... it is acceptable for their customers. The bulk as it appears. You really think Blizzard would make a move like this without considering how many potential customers they would lose? Blizzard quite literally pays people to think about this and come up with the best solutions to get the most profit. The profit relies on their ability in how much they can charge while maintaining the most customers.

Example:
100 potential customers for your product.
Charge 2$ and all 100 will buy. 200$ made.
Charge 5$ and only 70 will buy. 350$ made.
charge 10$ and only 50 will buy. 500$ made.
charge 12$ and only 25 will buy. 300$ made.
charge 15$ and only 10 will buy. 150$ made.
When what you sell is an online download thus costing next to nothing to sell, the 10$ amount in that EXAMPLE is the prime cost to sell at. Yes 50 people will not buy it, but the company will profit more. This enables them to do more and create more IPs to draw in more fans and more profit.

And yes, morally speaking it is very asinine in ways with the current action. But this is a company. You have to look at it through company views. Telling a company to give up on profits is quite literally the EXACT OPPOSITE of what a company is meant to do.
4 Likes
Different companies charge different amounts of money for similar products?

MIND. BLOWN.

I'll be contacting Burger King immediately to let them know that I won't be paying $1.99 for a burger because McDonalds sells a slightly different one for $1.89
5 Likes
Because $15 is a pittance compared to the $90 a month many pay for internet, atop the computer maintenance and upgrades.
OP: Wow, you're dumb....
11/10/2018 03:21 PMPosted by Xerash
$15 a month for both and $7.99 - $9.99 for Classic only sounds fantastic in my opinion and I am actually quite disappointed in Blizzard for not offering Classic-only players a more reasonable fee to play the version of WoW they lost long ago. A separate, cheaper fee for Classic wouldn't likely affect me as I would opt for the bundle, but I imagine that there are many potential Classic-only players out there that are wondering why they have to pay the same monthly fee as modern WoW players when modern WoW is constantly evolving and receiving new content, yet Classic has all of the content that it is ever going to have already created for it.

That's the thing. I know for a fact this idea must have floated in Blizzard. They probably came to the conclusion that it was more profitable for them to only allow the combined sub than to allow a separate cheaper sub as well.
2 Likes
We're not paying for Classic!!!! It's basically bonus content to sub for retail.....They want us to play retail lol....They don't need the $$$.....
You guys realize that the more money this company makes from classic the higher chance there is of getting tbc/wotlk? I'm ok with 15
5 Likes
11/10/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Gorlék
You guys realize that the more money this company makes from classic the higher chance there is of getting tbc/wotlk? I'm ok with 15

Thus is the base behind my entire point.
"more IPs" etc.

The customers not happy with the price, sorry to them. But with the profits made more games can be made making more happy customers as well as ensuring the longevity of the company which means that these servers run for longer so that the customers who are happy can stay happy longer.

The longer it runs the more profit it gets, the more profit it gets the more it does to create new happy customers. I will say this, to each their own, I am not exactly the happiest customer like I used to be and there are now lines that if Blizzard crosses I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER BLIZZARD ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.... OP I hope you understand this, I am not defending Blizzard, I am trying to enlighten you as to how it all works. As well as the idea of telling a company to not make profit is like telling a tiger to not eat meat and go vegan... it does not work.

It's why I do not bow to that term "shill"... We all have lines that can be crossed, it is only expected for someone to be upset and then angry at the company. But taking it out on the customers who are happy is wrong. Now the ones that say rude remarks because the company betrayed you? Yeah treat them like the trash that they are.
3 Likes