I pay $12 for FFXIV. Why pay $15 for Classic?

I copied this from a reply I made with slight edits, but I feel this should be brought up in a post.

I'm mostly a FFXIV player nowadays. I used to play classic a lot and have only played modern WoW on and off because friends kept bugging me to come back... and then we would all quit a month or so in. I currently pay $12 for FFXIV because they have an option to pay 12 for having only 1 character per server. Paying $15 dollars for an old game that was already released is just too much.

I don't like modern WoW at all. I don't like the changes they are making to 'their classic'. If I have to pay $15 dollars for a game I won't play and a modern Blizzard's take on classic WoW, then I'm not going to pay anything and go on private servers. I don't like private servers either because the people running it are often corrupt and you never know when the servers will be shut down, but I am also not willing to shell out $15 for something that isn't worth it.

If I can pay $12 to play FFXIV which is a modern mmo that receives constant updates, I shouldn't have to pay $15 to play an old MMO that's already been released and is getting unnecessary changes.
26 Likes
Because that's the subscription cost.
65 Likes
FFXIV =/= Classic wow

So because the sub of 1 game is x amount then the sub of another game should be x.

Terrible threads from terrible people.
22 Likes
11/10/2018 01:39 PMPosted by Destroynme
If I can pay $12 to play FFXIV which is a modern mmo that receives constant updates, I shouldn't have to pay $15 to play an old MMO that's already been released and is getting unnecessary changes.

Well. Don't. What's the issue?
30 Likes
I mean ff14 and classic Wow are very different games. If you like ff14 more then classic and can only afford 1 MMO then it seems like a no brainer to keep playing ff14.
13 Likes
Well, Classic is a better game ( imo ). If you really feel the need to be convinced then you already have your answer. I will gladly sub it up without hesitation.
7 Likes
According to their website you pay $12.99 for an entry level membership. The standard membership costs the same as a WoW sub.
15 Likes
You don't have to. Pay it if you think it's worth it.

You're not gonna get much sympathy from me--in all its 14 years, I've never quit playing WoW. My subscription fee is helping to pay for the development of Classic. For me, Classic is going to be a "free gift" because I'm gonna be subscribed anyway.
12 Likes
11/10/2018 01:39 PMPosted by Destroynme
I copied this from a reply I made with slight edits, but I feel this should be brought up in a post.

I'm mostly a FFXIV player nowadays. I used to play classic a lot and have only played modern WoW on and off because friends kept bugging me to come back... and then we would all quit a month or so in. I currently pay $12 for FFXIV because they have an option to pay 12 for having only 1 character per server. Paying $15 dollars for an old game that was already released is just too much.

I don't like modern WoW at all. I don't like the changes they are making to 'their classic'. If I have to pay $15 dollars for a game I won't play and a modern Blizzard's take on classic WoW, then I'm not going to pay anything and go on private servers. I don't like private servers either because the people running it are often corrupt and you never know when the servers will be shut down, but I am also not willing to shell out $15 for something that isn't worth it.

Pretty simple. Is it worth $15 to play classic WoW? If yes, play and enjoy. If no, have fun in FFXIV.
13 Likes
11/10/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Phront
You don't have to. Pay it if you think it's worth it.

You're not gonna get much sympathy from me--in all its 14 years, I've never quit playing WoW. My subscription fee is helping to pay for the development of Classic. For me, Classic is going to be a "free gift" because I'm gonna be subscribed anyway.

Careful, you'll get certain posters in here calling you a BfA shill and that your opinion doesn't matter.

I happen to agree with you, btw.

(Also, I'll be paying for and playing both FFXIV and WoW:Classic, so yeah... Best of both worlds.)
4 Likes
I would pay $30 per month for classic no question.
6 Likes
If you're really nutted up about $3 a month, maybe you should wash the dishes so mom will give you more allowance.
20 Likes
Blizzard is going to charge us $15 for a revived build of the game that already has all of its content created for it because they know they can get away with it. WoW is still one of the prime tyrants when it comes to MMORPGs, so its competitors would likely try to have lower costs than it in order to compete.

Don't look for reasoning or sympathy here. Some vanilla fans are sheeple that are willing to throw comparative pricing out of the window and would be okay with spending an inordinate amount of money on Classic just because they love the vanilla era. Some wouldn't even care if the monthly cost for Classic was $20, $25 or even higher; they would still jump at the game because they love it.

Sure, individually, people have different senses of value and expensiveness. Individually, some of these people don't care about the opinions of others when it comes to their love for the game and how much they are willing to pay to play it. However, these people need to wake up and realize that the cost of the game affects everyone, not just them. Millions of people can afford to play this game very easily, but that doesn't mean that the game can't be comparatively expensive to similar products.

I, personally, am at the end of my threshold for tolerating the cost required to play WoW: Classic, but not passed it; I am barely tolerating it. If WoW: Classic had a separate $15 sub or if the monthly fee for the now combined pricing model (getting access to both versions of WoW through the current sub) was increased to account for WoW: Classic's inclusion, I wouldn't ever consider touching WoW: Classic in both scenarios and I would likely quit playing WoW entirely if the latter occurred.
4 Likes
11/10/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Xerash

I, personally, am at the end of my threshold for tolerating the cost required to play WoW: Classic, but not passed it; I am barely tolerating it. If WoW: Classic had a separate $15 sub or if the monthly fee for the now combined pricing model (getting access to both versions of WoW through the current sub) was increased to account for WoW: Classic's inclusion, I wouldn't ever consider touching WoW: Classic in both scenarios and I would likely quit playing WoW entirely if the latter occurred.

So what you're saying is, you'll pay $15 for classic WoW, but if they gave you access to their retail content you'd quit WoW entirely?

I must be misreading this, because that sounds absolutely bonkers
9 Likes
This is a non-argument.

Analogy:
You have two pizza joints.
X and Y.
X serves a Pizza for 10$
Y serves a Pizza for 9$

Both restaurants have a lot of renown but the pizza place X was the first pizza joint in your town and is well-known and loved the quality of their pizzas. Place Y is a much newer location that is in the process of making Pizzas on par with place X but it has less renown and the flavors are not exactly the same.

They use difference sauces, specialize in a New York style Pizza where X is more Chicago style. X also offers varieties that Y does not. Their Alfredo Pizza "is to die for". (Anology in case you do not get it, FF's MMO PVP is not exactly... great....)

Which one would you go to if you preferred a more chicago style pizza? Or if you wanted a really good Alfredo?
If the one dollar in difference didn't bother you then you'd go to place X.
Or what if you prefered the sauces that Y used, or the more New York pizza style suited you if say you were actually from New York maybe?
Of course you'd go Y.

They officer similar products. But their products are different in varrying ways. They also come with the brands of the places that make them. Brand recognition is a serious deal maker.

If you prefer the final fantasy game, then go for it. I am actually thinking of trying it out myself as I've heard how amazing they did the professions in that game. But I will always be a Warcraft player, specifically Classic (as long as they do not ruin it). But if you want to come back to WoW and the price difference does not bother you that much then come back for Classic.

People like myself do not mind paying the same price for this "pizza". We've always paid the same. It's still just as valuable. And yes, price competitions do exist, but that also depends on exactly how different the products are.

You can have a third Pizza join, Z that serves pizza for 5$. But their pizza is cheaper because of the style and the ingredients are more streamlined. Cheap cheese and an even cheaper array of toppings. People will buy their pizza if they really do not want to spend the 9-10 on the others. And some may prefer the 5$ pizza.

TLDR
Two different companies. Two different Products. While they are similar they are not exactly the same by a long shot. Brand recognition along with history and a title to stout earn one game a higher price. Differing variables will affect their overall prices. To expect the same price is to completely ignore economics entirely.
3 Likes
If all of the people who say they won't play classic for "this reason or that reason" actually don't.... this game will be a beautiful, non-toxic utopia we have never seen before.

But we all know they will... and they will complain the whole time.
13 Likes
You are paying $15 for Classic AND Retail.
5 Likes
11/10/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Ironsides

So what you're saying is, you'll pay $15 for classic WoW, but if they gave you access to their retail content you'd quit WoW entirely?

You're misreading.
Because for $3 more you get a game that’s 100 times better.
6 Likes
11/10/2018 02:14 PMPosted by Ironsides

You are misreading. They are saying if it was 15$ for classic ONLY or if it costed more for them combined then they would not bother.

That said there are people with that mindset. It stems from vitriol towards Blizzard for doing what they have done to WoW. Mostly they do not want to directly fund current WoW.