I miss Garrisons. Anyone else?

I just hate that it became the ‘excuse’ for player housing, rather than Blizzard adapt the system more, they just abandoned it.

5 Likes

The thing is that most folks I have ever encountered in WoW have personal links to the game. But they don’t have it the way other games are required to, by making the game the central focal point. But rather WoW have always created links between people and have used the game as the form of medium in which we communicate and participate in activities.

I have never encountered anyone ever that has genuinely wanted stuff like player housing. Folks like the novelty of it and ask for it. Because…

WoW isn’t like other MMOs. And this is both its greatest strength, and weakness. Player housing is unnecessary and would even go as far as to make the game overall worse, if it was implemented as a permanent fixture as it is in other games. Because, like the Garrisons showcased and the praise that Class Order Halls showed … the average WoW players is EXTREMELY social, even if only passively so by being part of the world around them. There’s a reason why Boralus was such a better city than Dazar’alor and that’s because the city was alive.

What is a feature in other games is something Blizzard has tried with WoW. And it was an abject failure. But when reiterated upon and made into a social feature, it became one of the most praised features WoW has EVER seen.

Yes, Blizzard can do more with it. Guild halls is a suggestion that has been around for a long time. But, all of these features are built upon the idea of a community or communal hub or home. The Garrison ain’t that, but it became something much better for the average WoW player.

even if they let us put our garrison at different locations it would be an improvement, it would be nice to walk out of my garrison and be in DF zones.

1 Like

The point would be a neat little place to display various artifacts and armor sets from your adventures all over the world. It’s not about other people visiting your hamlet.

1 Like

I liked garrison but I liked class halls more, real shame features like these get kicked to the curb by Blizz once the expac ends, such a waste.

1 Like

I’m not sure this is because it was social (I honestly can’t remember). I liked class halls because they were different for each class and the campaigns were good. That and Legion was just a better expansion overall. I’m trying to remember if anyone even talked to each other in the order halls. In any case I liked them both but I definitely like a little town that I built and filled with people (npcs) and buildings that I wanted. Maybe it’s nostalgia but I feel more attached to my little town and just feel like the hall is just another zone.

1 Like

No
/10 char

I miss the millions of gold I made from doing nothing but clicking a button.

Garrisons were really fun. I loved doing the fishing with huge garrison groups. That was the best. :heart:

2 Likes

No.

I did enjoy having a garrison, but garrisons isolating the player base was a bit depressing.

1 Like

I still have my garrison fully decorated and themed to my main. The alliance one pulls off “home” better than the Horde one, sadly.

3 Likes

I absolutely miss Garrisons.

4 Likes

Yup-there are a lot that don’t. I do, and lots of others do as well.

Completely disagree. I outlined nearly two decades of ‘player housing’ and ‘guild hall’ stuff in another post, and I think Blizzard can make a huge amount of money if they do it right. It isn’t for everyone, but also its something Blizzard can make money on. They get nothing but disinterest if they keep ignoring it, especially when so many others have done it very well. No excuse these days.

Legion was amazing-and the class halls were awesome! But no, not a single other person I ever saw in mine ever talked to others. It was socially dead, other than seeing everyone running around.

Well said too: the Garrison absolutely is something we can attach to because we helped design and build it. It’s got story to it. The Class Halls don’t, and… was less for it.

1 Like

This thread is just LEAKING the gaslight for player housing.

Garrisons were good as a private area. NPCs don’t give the same feeling as a hustling bustling city sprawling with players.

Random Battleground queues were 7sec-11sec on Horde side; didn’t get to spend too much time in the Garrison - maybe that affects my opinion too?

Just my personal opinion.

It’s rather upfront. I’m not sure you know what a gaslight is. Blizzard wants to do it and so do we, it’s just a more complex issue than anyone would like to admit.

2 Likes

This.

Garrisons are the way to go. Add more blueprints, skins, wall-less options, different architecture, etc. add guild hall options, thematic options (like a Paladin Sanctum) and allow people to put a garrison in every single zone. The tmog addicts will be hooked.

Garrisons are the best foundation to go off.

4 Likes

I do! Would love to see city player housing next. Apartment style instance housing in each faction each.

2 Likes