I liked BFA’s story - AMA

Sylvanas told Saurfang that. And you’re assuming that Sylvanas knew the Alliance wouldn’t attack, which is speculation. They’ve done it before - like I said earlier, from the Horde’s perspective its not an entirely unreasonable concept.

She’s not shown using that excuse on the common people, or really anyone else. Why would she? Nobody asks, and nobody seems to care.

Baine was on board with attacking the Alliance so long as Saurfang did it.

And no. The list of characters who participated in the war vastly dwarfs the list of those who actively refused to on moral grounds.

Even Saurfang still hung in there for a bit after Teldrassil.

3 Likes

no he wasnt read good war, he only trusted that nothing overly bad would happen. There is a reason why sylvanas didnt tell him anything, its almost like she is tricking people.

…during the attack on the Alliance. Which he knew about. And approved.

What exactly are you disputing?

4 Likes

No. But its just one very small piece of a huge story that I like on the whole.

Baine stated that most in the Horde, including himself, didn’t understand the goal of the mission or why it must be done now. Saurfang replied that there was an opportunity, there was danger on the horizon, and it would be best to deal with it quickly.

You’re agreeing with me, but from your tone I’m gathering you aren’t aware of that.

5 Likes

I feel like you dont understand what tricked means, you know when we went to war with Iraq everyone was for it at first right?

As proud as I am that you’ve finally moved out of the 20th century, is it possible for you to go one thread without making a hamfisted and inapplicable reference to a war you barely understand?

I’ve already addressed that, anyway. Read better.

6 Likes

so its not tricked, they all knew the alliance wasnt gonna attack them and that sylvanas was gonna betray them later then okie, ww2 is a poor example because no one was tricked

I am glad you were able to enjoy it. I enjoyed parts, but they are tainted by the very fact that the Night Elves were brutalized for the sake of a story they played no role in.

I think that’s a pretty messed up thing to do to a playable race, which removes my capacity to enjoy the expansion.

2 Likes

Stop hidding Danuser

2 Likes

Nope. But these aren’t even remotely comparable.

What are your general views on the Forsaken and their culture?

Are you super familiar with their themes or do you just have a passing understanding of them?

How do you feel about the way the culture of the race was handled this expansion? What is your take on the idea of Calia Menethril being their leader in a post Sylvanas age?

You can also expound on the night elves as well if you want, as they’re in a similar boat in many people’s eyes when it comes to how they were handled this expansion.

1 Like

They are when you realize that these hubris intoxicated writers High off their own excrement thought that GoT final season was top notch.

My understanding is that free will is central to the Forsaken ideology; however, over the years this has proven to be idealistic, with the reality being that the real centre of Forsaken culture is the cult of personality surrounding Sylvanas. One of my favourite quests is in the UD starting zone, when they ask you to purge the ‘rotbrains’ - Forsaken too far gone to serve the Lady. But these rotbrains also happen to be Forsaken who have refused to serve the Banshee upon their resurrection. Seems convenient. I don’t think this is retconning or inconsistent writing. It’s an all too human flaw that makes them interesting. So, I feel like this expansion portrayed the Forsaken pretty accurately. I don’t however, think Calia is a good replacement. I have pretty much loathed Chrisitie Golden’s writing since The Shattering and Calia is just the most Christie Golden of Goldenisms (I do like her Jaina this xpac, however, and that’s probably because in a game I don’t have to read her awful prose). Why do we even need her if Voss is on the council?

The Night Elves get shafted just about every expansion but there’s a reason I am okay with this: all my favourite elves in fantasy fiction are a doomed race fighting the long defeat (Tolkien, Warhammer, Dragon Age). I kind of think its essential to their elfiness in some ways. If you don’t have that element of doomed romance or decadence you just have a whole race of Mary Sues. I will take this any day over, say, the insipid Stormwind humans, who just have no wrinkles in their society whatsoever and are stuck in this lame holding pattern.

1 Like

Well I reject that hypothesis.

Keep it in mind I do think that may’ve been the plan at some point. But as it stands in the game they’re pretty blatantly presented as deranged undead so dissatisfied with their situation that they have decided to launch a doomed attack on Deathknell.

They’re actually neutral to you before you start the quest- suggesting the Forsaken didn’t really have a problem with some people jibbering to themselves in the woods until they planned to attack.

Likewise Lilian Voss just never joins the Forsaken during that questline. You’re sent to keep tabs on her as she’s clearly dangerous but once it’s clear she has no ill will to the Forsaken you let her go.

3 Likes

I respect that, but I guess the beauty of the Forsaken stuff is that their motives can be left up to interpretation.

I enjoyed the individual zone storylines and the overall story for Zandalar in their struggle against G’Huun, Zul, and their followers. It all made me feel heroic as a Horde player.

Favorite part.

Death of Saurfang, I cheered.

Least favorite part, that we only got to burn Teldrassil once.

They have another world tree.