I like Spec>Class identity

I think it adds a lot of variety to the game. I can be a rogue for example and have a wildly different play style depending on if I want to run Sin or Outlaw that day. I think it helps keep the game fresh that each class has such distinct subclasses. I want to feel like a fire mage, not just a mage that dabbles in fire magic.

27 Likes

Same, I really dont care about the ones whining about class being more important that spec, for me I prefer to specialize, I dont care about some general ultra situational crappy general spells, I prefer to be a mage for example that focuses on burst therefore arcane and would like all the spells to be more arcane focused.

It reminds me of MoP where you would see fire mages use deep freeze, that looked ultra stupid.

5 Likes

I honestly dont see the hype about fire mages casting frost bolt, that just sounds jarring.

8 Likes

you got assassins creed Rogue

you got pirate rogue

you got a violent serial killer

and you got violent serial killer

and you got violent serial killer

1 Like

I’d actually like specs to get sub specs…

There is tons of spells and talents they can bring back to hype everyone up.

They are just teasing

1 Like

That’s why I picked a druid - I love playing the different specs; albeit Druids play very differently from spec to spec than the dps-only classes.

I just wish they’d stop with the role restrictions and go back to where gear traits/bonuses swap when you change specs.

1 Like

You wont in 98% of the situations, just like other specs wont use such abilities because mainspec abillities are buffed by a number of passives and talents making the non main spec skills worthless outside of ultra niche situations

Yes! I PVE in Outlaw and PVP In Sin. I hate having to reforge my azerite gear ever time I switch.

1 Like

As a prot paladin, I’ve lost so much fun utility because Blizz figured much of it was too holy for prot. I’m also very excited to get my auras back, because they’re just very flavorful to the paladin class.

11 Likes

Same! Love my enhancment shaman feeling different then resto and elemental.

1 Like

Or just roll a warrior and be an angry man-child all the time . :rage:

1 Like

It’s a niche spell that you cast for the slow. More niche spells is good, because being able to properly utilize them lets good players shine in more ways than parses.

10 Likes

Having other skills that are not necessarily part of your rotation diversify gameplay. A frostbolt could allow fire mages to kite elite mobs that they can’t burst down, rupture for combat rogues is a DoT against other stealth classes, Obliterate for Unholy DKs is a way to do damage through anti-magic barriers. In WoTLK and Cata, both demonology and destruction had incinerate and soul fire, but their mechanics worked differently for each spec.

And also, what Kyveli said. When warriors could stance dance and had prot abilities even if DPS, many times did a warrior save a boss fight taunting the boss and using def stance + shield block + shield wall until a bress got the main tank back up.

10 Likes

It can be redudant though. Conflagrate is basically frost bolt. We already have other ways to do stuff. It will just be less work for them to diversify them now.

Redundancy across classes? That is even less applicable, in my opinion, because classes have, in the big picture, different mechanics. You may say Pyroblast, Lava Burst and Chaos Bolt are the same thing, and they are all big hitters indeed, but how each works, and the synergy they have with other abilities - conflagrate, scorch/fire blast, flame shock - change the whole gameplay.

Yes but I am not excited to have the same spells being reused across classes compared to the unique spec kits we have now. Even if that means the spells we have now may be changed because of the old class spells. It’s not innovative. Unless they plan to change how they work… in which case is it really bring back the old stuff?

1 Like

Looking at:
https:// blizzardwatch. com/2019/11/11/class-changes-abilities-know-wow-shadowlands-far/

It looks like it’s only a couple of spells shared among specs. For rogue for example, just the poison options and shiv. We’re still gonna have specializations and all setup like they currently are…or at least that’s what was indicated.

I get the feeling that it’ll be enough to add an additional layer to gameplay–like a fire mage gaining an additional snare (as mentioned above). Yet will be minimal enough to keep the spec diversity intact.

Note that this “return to class” is nothing like the customization options we had in cataclysm.
And before the knee-jerk responses “hur hur talent points for critical strike %,” people who actually thought for themselves and didn’t derive all their gameplay from a website could actually design and play a class in ways hardly anyone else did, and to great effect (hint: non-raiding gameplay).

I know I’m not excited for cyclone and ursoc’s vortex… sure it will be good for M+ but… man wish I was getting something fun not more CC to clutter my bars.

Not that CC isn’t important but how about an interrupt thats not on a 1 min cd instead of two more niche ones?

I liked the spec focus, was a good compromise on the whole hybrid tax issue.

3 Likes