I just watched the entire Mulan Trailer

I’m still waiting for a film version of the original (Hans Christian Andersen’s) The Little Mermaid.

You’ve obviously not read The Little Mermaid.

1 Like

:musical_note:I will make a man out of you

1 Like

It’s more the actual Mulan legend. Disney has a bad habit of sugar coating everything and calling it a story.

3 Likes

I dunno, peter pan is a lot darker than what disney showed.

Which is why I’ve switched to watching anime flicks, and going to my back catalog of shows I haven’t watched.

In anime, I don’t have to worry about politics being forced in unless it’s the dub, in which case, a few angry letters makes them either change it, or the studio that owns the license gets mad at them for the backlash.

In old shows I used to watch as a kid, I don’t have to worry about politics, as they kept the politics out, and had PSA moments as a rarity.

The most cringe episodes of any show try to say “guns are bad”, and give a biased account of their disdain, when a gun is neither good nor evil, as it bears no sentience. That strawman argument is the same as saying all hunters in WoW are evil simply for picking up that ranged weapon wielding class…

Before, movie critics gave their opinions, and you could decide wheather they were right or wrong.

Now? Movie critics complain about a movie not being political enough, or that it wasn’t pushing the narrative they wanted! They give it a low score, and we can tell it’s a good movie because critics will hate on it, and a bad movie is one that critics will shill the crap out of because they’re in the studio’s pocket!

Get the politics out of entertainment. Look at it this way, if WoW was a politically driven game, then Hunters would be incapable of dealing damage, and literally every class would be weak to feral or guardian druids, with all of the meals being vegan, with fascistic leaders forcing us to accept quests regardless of if our quest log was full or not, and propaganda everywhere.

Video games, the last bastion of interactive entertainment where we don’t have to worry about forced politics.

7 Likes

I…wasn’t a fan of The Lion King remake, nor am I fan of this new Mulan one. (Starting to remind me of the issues with the Spyro and Crash games that got remade.) If people love remakes like this, more power to you, I’d just stick to the classics from now on.

Donnie Yen is pretty much the reason I will go see it

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of all these live action remakes. Just my opinion obviously, but I feel they’re some much less compelling and frankly taking up a ton of resources and attention that could be put towards something newer.

Personally, the only one i’ve truly felt was worth seeing was Jungle Book. The rest, while not bad, have just not lived up to the superior, animated versions. Some now I don’t even bother watching. I don’t dare taint my love for aladdin (specifically Robin Williams’ Genie) with the remake.

Obviously enough people enjoy them that they keep making them so I’m glad people are getting to see movies they enjoy.

However, to me it’s kind of sad that animation as an art/story form is being viewed more and more as purely a kids or “silly” medium. It’s definitely great for that but I feel there’s a lot of wasted potential for it.

Again it’s all about personal preference and taste so maybe i’m in the minority, I just have such a special spot in my heart for animated films

(also yeah more skips for boss rp would be cool. The broken “skip cutscene” button in ToT is especially triggering to me)

3 Likes

Be A Man, for problematic implications about gender roles or something.

2 Likes

Considering how many of you are going on about movies injecting politics into themselves, a lot of you sure are injecting a lot of politics into this movie.

4 Likes

‘Ending as expected’ means no disney princess ending, but rather a horrible ending for the eponymous character in the case of the little mermaid.

These live action remakes are making money and are far cheaper to make then new animated movies, so that is why they plan on doing it to most of their catalog… We are going to have an entire generation growing up to live action remakes instead of new stuff.

I just watched the Mulan Trailer and it reminded me of another movie. One I loved.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLpZ_5bHmo8

1 Like

Pocahontas says hello.

1 Like

That’s true but I was thinking fictional works (and to be honest, I never saw that movie because it looked horrible).

:cookie:

Wait. People are upset because the Mulan movie is actually going to follow the original Mulan tale over the cutsy Disney cartoon version?

1 Like

No, they’re doing it to reup the copyrights while they buy up contemporary IP to use as a back up to sustain the business when the fairytales go back to public domain.

I mean, there’s already a Mulan movie, made in actual China, that follows the original tale.

Disney Mulan had some of the best songs they’ve ever put out, and Mushu has always been one my favorite “comic relief” characters. I’m not particularly interested in this remake, though I’ve enjoyed most of the other ones they’ve done recently. It just doesn’t look particularly fun.

1 Like

We just had Frozen II break records and Pixar has multiple new stuff hitting theaters next year.

New animated features aren’t going anywhere.

2 Likes

I love it! It feels more serious. I was nervous because Aladdin was all about singing and I was hoping Mulan wouldn’t be. They already ruined Ariel so I’m happy Mulan at least looks good.

2 Likes