I have a question that sounds like a sunday topic

But also ramped up around Eternal Palace and more so during N’Zoth. BfA kind of went out with a bang.

It also had some of the most amazing cinematic pieces this game has ever had, see Mak Gora.

Yeah, I read the graph wrong, I didn’t notice WoW was still in BFA when WoW Classic came out.

I don’t think BFA is all bad, the horde campaign had it’s fun moments. The alliance story was absolutely terrible though.

1 Like

Socially inept Disney adults far as I can tell.

4 Likes

Well as you imply in a response to someone else, and as Lincoln said, you can’t please all the people all of the time. If there are only a few thousand out of 7 million that are upset, that’s not bad.

Also, if you try to start changing things to make that fraction of 1% happy, then you could be moving away from what a much larger percentage of the people want.

i have yet to see an example of a larger percentage of players screaming from the rooftops how-much they love how the game vs the folks who complain. also, i think you guys are all downplaying how many folks are actually unhappy with how the game has been presented in recent years.

i’ve seen tons of people complain about shadowlands and bfa, and i’ve seen only a small handful of folks actually saying anything good about those expansions.

so is this truly what people want from WoW? this fly-by-night, you’ll-forget-about-or-complain-about-it-years-later type of content? this sappy ‘chromie is sad, hugging nozdormu’s leg’ stuff? or would they preffer the ‘WE WILL NEVER BE SLAVES!!’ level of machismo?

cause i know what i’d preffer… (the machismo)

You just answered your own question. You admitted that very few people who like something say they like it compared to how many people there are complaining.

So of course very few people are saying they like Shadowlands compared to how many say they hate it.

My point is that out of the seven million people playing this game only a few hundred, or maybe a thousand are complaining in the forums. The rest are saying nothing. So you can’t conclude from that result that a high percentage hate shadowlands.

1 Like

actually, i can. i’ve seen a TON of threads about folks hating shadowlands. i’ve seen like, 1, maybe 2 saying anything positive about it.

meanwhile, if you see how many threads are about how-much folks hate shadowlands, you’ll see a LOT of’em.

if it was a vocal minority, you’d see only a few, but the amount is so much more than just a big handful of unhappy people. it’s always being listed near the top of worst-expansion lists- you get the point.

the threads i saw? different folks. it was’nt one person repeatedly spamming how-much they hate it, it was a majority of players, how do i know? every thread had a small-army’s worth of replies. that’s how.

my guess is millenials if i had to pinpoint an age rage/gen

That would be wrong.

Marketers don’t target existing customers from a macro perspective

QA targets existing customers.

Marketing wants to secure new customers.

(Millennials are existing customers)

Why “poor guys”?
BFA zones are beautifful, modern and the questlines are good. All BfA problems was not related to the leveling or open world content, it was all about the systems, but new players do not see any of this, cause they just level up there and go to the current expansion.

if that is the case then they dont understand gen z sensibilities and what appeals to younger folks
which isnt entirely surprising

Companies of this size move very, very slowly

1 Like

I never really understood the dad/mom gamers who never had much time to play, there’s plenty of people who are parents and find tons of time to play this game. It’s bizarre to see people say they don’t have time because of kids.

though they make new players confused. they start off as a random recruit for the horde/alliance, and next thing they know, they’re the speaker of the horde, and emissary of the alliance. leaves them a little shell shocked going ‘wait, i thought i was just a new recruit, suddenly i speak for my entire faction??’.

that’s why i said poor guys. they go from random nobodies, straight to being champions without any build-up in-between.

it’s obviously because they are’nt playing WoW with their kids, or their kids are too young so they require more attention.

Yes but again consider the numbers. There are about seven million Wow Players. About seven million of them never enter notes in forums.

So yes the vast majority of people entering notes didn’t like Shadowlands but consider two things.

1. All the people who enter notes add up to an extremely small percentage of the players.
  2. People who hate something are far more likely to be loud and vocal than people who like something.

If you will notice, polling agencies like Harris and Gallup never use internet forums to collect data. Why? Because internet forums are known for being extremely biased in favor of people who hate something and want to complain about it.

1 Like

:rofl: hilarious, sad, and true.

Why did you start playing? And what was it about the game that kept you playing?

Those are the 2 questions that when answered will answer your initial question about what kind of customer Blizz is trying to market to.

Brewa and Sabbia answered you correctly at the beginning of this thread.
I think the answer is everyone/anyone who wants to play.

Well then, a question I’ve asked myself… and the answer is surprising complicated.

The Honest Answer - As Many People as Possible

This is what Blizzard wants, not what they’re getting… and quite honestly, it has resulted in them throwing out heaps of “content” to act as potential lures for players. Success varies, but they are casting a wide net in hopes that players will at least try the game.

After that, it’s mostly leading them towards what the developers think will keep players around. Speaking of which…

The True Answer - Endgame players who play every week

When you dig into WoW’s content, you start to notice that everything is structured towards pushing players towards the level cap and various forms of endgame content. All the questing and leveling content, with some exception, is generally treated as just stuff to do before you hit the level cap and start doing “content that matters”.

And once you’re there, the idea is for them to keep you occupied with whatever “chores” they’ve laid out, be it daily or weekly in nature. So long as they keep coming back, and stick around… well, it’s all built to keep the player occupied.

Tends to result in many grumpy former players when they realize they’ve been led around by the nose for no good reason. Must be something to do with the content they enjoyed doing before reaching the endgame fizzling out with stuff they don’t really like on an endless loop being all that’s actually left.

Indeed. I’ve seen some… interesting things from games that fit into the T-rating. WoW’s relatively tame, to tell the truth. Nothing too disturbing, just a few grotesque things.

For something really messed up, “Ma Belle Peche” still lingers in the memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95mwIi8lVHQ

“This isn’t a sunday post” - immediately says wow is appealing to the whale type :joy:
This isn’t genshin impact my guy.

WOW is for everyone; I’ve encountered all sorts of age groups, the lowest being 12 years old and the highest probably 60. So, I’ll put it this way: WOW is meant to appeal to everyone regardless of age. Personally, I’d like WOW to be rated M just because I want a bit of a mature story. But I’m fine with T and up, just wish they did it a bit better.

1 Like