I hate the 4th of July

Hey I’m curious. How did you expose your dog to those sounds?

My Murica doesn’t end, where your dogs feelings begin.

3 Likes

i dunno about them, but the place we got our German Shorthaired Pointers. did it with blanks and start small like with a .22lr blank. launch a fake bird and fire off a blank. and dont react. if the pup sees you not reacting it makes them think its not something to be scared of if you arent… and then work your way up to larger calibers.

One of my dogs hears one piece of thunder 20miles away and is under the bed for the night but giant firework explosions at the neighbors for 3 hours np…i just don’t get it.

1 Like

Fireworks came from China.

6 Likes

like 95% of everything else, Murica.

6 Likes

Yes but look at it this way. The 4th of July is called Job security in the medical field.

2 Likes

my dog hates new years, 4th of july, and all fireworks general. he pushes himself between the mattress and the wall. god forbid if a car backfires outside. and thunderitos also.

hope everyone is safe tonight.

1 Like

My dog and I watched fireworks from our sidewalk. I had fun.

2 Likes

I once had a dog that tried to chase certain fire works… I have never seen such a dumb animal before in my life.

1 Like

No pets but fireworks are illegal in my California county (fire danger) - but that doesn’t stop my moron neighbors from lighting it up around here. Yeah, the 4th isn’t my favorite holiday either.

/grabs the garden hose

4 Likes

Look here missy you can’t just go around calling people morons for being American. We here in America consider two things sacred. Explosives, and Whiskey. If you try to take either away you are in for a fight!

But you are from California which isn’t really part of America anyways. (kidding) So i’ll forgive you.

4 Likes

You need to add weed to that list :wink: By the way, its the LAW in these parts! err, the no fireworks rule, not the weed.

Being from Oregon myself… I understand the weed statement… Honestly I understand peoples enjoyment and even medical gains from the stuff but i seriously wish they would regulate it more. Sick and tired of my town smelling like skunk. I can’t ever enjoy a fresh breath of air anymore all I ever smell is stinky weed.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard anything yet. But back when I was still living with my parents, our partially deaf dog (who had gotten used to not hearing much) was able to hear fireworks and she was shaking so badly that you could hear her teeth rattling in her jaw. We had to sit with her, play loud music, so whatever to distract her. She was (is) always miserable around this time.

Meanwhile, my cats now don’t seem to care. My older cat has been giving some of the neighborhood kids the most disgusted death glare I’ve seen on an animal so I think she’s just annoyed.

1 Like

yep my chihuahua is hiding somewhere

Is that really all that different behavior from any other day? Isn’t that type of dog really only known for two things. Shaking, and hiding.

2 Likes

I turn up the volume on every TV and hide in my closet with my dog who’s TERRIFIED of firework noises. Most years we fall asleep in there.

2 Likes

i had to give my dog his calming aide and am also currently cuddling him while he shivers.

1 Like

around others yes but don’t normally act like this