I hate the 4th of July

My dogs are terrified, my mother-in-law’s dogs are terrified, I wish fireworks were illegal.

Yes, yes I’m a killjoy.

However, Midsummer is one of my favorite ingame holidays. What about the rest of you? Any other pet owners out there dealing with terrified pets?

48 Likes

My 1yo is a bit scared, but not overly so.

3 Likes

Having once met a dog who was terrified of fireworks (that poor thing was miserable for a week every 4th of July), we made sure to expose our dog to those sounds and smells when she was a puppy.

For the dogs who didn’t get conditioned to loud noises and are timid…man, it’s rough.

7 Likes

I agree and am glad that I got some nice earplugs! I love the idea of Independence day, but I hate fireworks. They’re only interesting for the first two minutes and they’re 100 decibels too loud IMO.

7 Likes

My dogs are handling it better than my MIL’s because we live in the country and people (including us) are always firing our guns. But, she’s city folk so the only time her dogs hear this kind of stuff is this holiday and like, New Years.

1 Like

Fireworks have been illegal where I live for over 20 years now. A misdemeanor with a $2500 fine and up to a year in prison. This has never stopped anyone from lighting fireworks. In fact, it has been a nightly occurrence since Memorial Day.

My dogs are on hemp calming pills and benedryl. They also have thunder shirts.

6 Likes

yeah. I feel for you…and the dog.

We fostered rescue dogs for several years while living all over the place and unable to have our own. We’ve potty trained and behavior trained probably 10 dogs over the years, and the ones who weren’t socialized to environmental stimuli as puppies had SUCH a rough time with so many things.

Fireworks and thunderstorms are a big one for so many dogs, and it is just so hard to help the poor little guys once the fear is established. It’s awful.

6 Likes

I forget about the babies because mine is turning 20 this year. I hope he/she does alright tonight.

5 Likes

When I was younger we had a Golden that we used for dove and quail hunting .

Shotguns would be fired and that dog would be so many shades of happy.

Thunderstorm happened and that dog was 50 shades of nervous wreck.

6 Likes

My 15 year old cat really doesn’t care. She could sleep through a hurricane.

My neighbor’s poor dog is outside whimpering and crying though and my blankety-blank neighbor is drinking and making all kinds of noise. :angry:

4 Likes

This would be hard for me to handle.

7 Likes

We only fostered one who was like that with inclement weather. It didn’t even have to be a thunder storm. If the barometric pressure changed for rain…that dog FREAKED. We got him a thunder vest, and it helped, but he’d still sit under a bed panting and refuse to eat or receive comfort from anyone for hours. It was so sad.

There are so many people in this world who do not deserve either children or pets. I’d…have a really hard time with that. I’m not like a dog crusader or anything. I just love them and like being around them. We had neighbors who had two dogs they just left outside all the time (tell-tale that they had difficulty in house training and just abdicated all responsibility and abandoned the dogs outdoors). Those poor dogs were nervous, unsocialized, and terrified of everything. They were nuisance barkers and, I suspect, aggressive after growing up like that with no human interaction except feeding time (also outside).

Made me so angry, and it was even worse because there was nothing we could legally do about it.

5 Likes

Fireworks own, sorry about your dogs though

2 Likes

About a month ago, someone in my neighborhood began firing off a canon making huge booming explosion sounds every evening. My poor dog has gotten into the habit of heading to the bathroom which is in the interior of the house and somewhat shielded from the sound, and staying there once it starts getting dark. You can still hear the loud booms though. She’s terrified and used to be so happy. I just wish the fireworks were only happening today and New Year’s Eve. Not all the other days. :fearful: :cry: :sob:

5 Likes

He’s had animal control called several times and had many animals taken away, I’m pretty sure he’s on his final warning with them and yes, I called and left a message.

I am so done with that guy.

8 Likes

I know and I used to love them but I love my dogs 100x more.

5 Likes

Sorry , op , don’t have any I don’t think I can stand another one.

We live on military installations most of the time, and our current home is within shaking distance of an artillery range. They only do it at certain hours and only in certain seasons, but we are VERY fortunate that our dog doesn’t struggle with it. The first few times she heard it, she was extra vigilant for a bit, and the first few times the windows rattled, she whined a bit, but she seems to have catalogued it now as a non-scary, normal occurance, and when the new season starts each year, she just ignores it. We are SO lucky. We have neighbors who are not so lucky because we hear the dogs.

We also have a huge coyote population, and we’re also lucky that she doesn’t find their noise and scent and proximity offensive. If she did, that would be a year-round struggle. Those little jerks are LOUD at night for about half the year.

2 Likes

just gonna add, this is sarcasm folks, just making a joke. before ya get all angry on me.

5 Likes

Well, I’m not going to get angry. I know I sound like a grandma, shaking my cane at the younguns to get their fireworks off my lawn :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes