I guess it's over (Goodbye)

That’s true, but if he were looking for a good death in battle like he was during Lordaeron, he could have found one by challenging Sylvanas at the right moment and potentially saving a lot of night elves from immolation.

6 Likes

This is why I fear a time-skip where the night elves set up in the eastern kingdoms beside the obvious abandonment of their homeland. You just know that Blizzard would use this as an excuse to wring out what little unique traits the nelves (and maybe even draenei) have left.

For whatever reason, Blizzard’s “ideal Alliance experience” is the most painfully generic and uncreative take at fantasy in perhaps the entire genre.

11 Likes

he lead a “Good” War he was shocked cause he played a part in the burning, it wasnt just sylvanas it was the great overlord saurfang.

Mak’gora makes sense only after “Lost Honor” when Saurfang knows that removing Sylvanas will stop the war. Before that all he knows is “They’ll come for us all of them” Mak’gora right after Teldrasil weakens and divides the Horde and makes them easier pray for the Alliance.

1 Like

Still a better outcome than complacently kowtowing your way into complicity. Sure, the Horde survived, but now there’s blood and ash on everyone’s hands that needs to be answered for.

4 Likes

It’s easy to say things like that, because you’re only talking words. But when it comes to the literal survival of your people, you find that a bit of shame is something you can live with.

Ask Ben Sisko about that some time.

Concluding Excerpt from “In The Pale Moonlight”

[Garak’s shop]

(Sisko the Thunder God storms in and hits Garak, sending him flying.)
SISKO: Get up. You killed him.
GARAK: That’s right.
SISKO: That’s what you planned to do all along, isn’t it. You knew the data rod wouldn’t hold up to scrutiny. You just wanted to get him on the station so you could plant a bomb on his shuttle.
GARAK: It wasn’t quite that simple. I did have hopes that the rod would somehow pass inspection, but I suspected that Tolar may not have been up to the task.
SISKO: And what about Tolar? Did you kill him too?
GARAK: Think of them both as tragic victims of war.
(Sisko punches Garak again.)
GARAK: If you can allow your anger to subside for a moment, you’ll see that they did not die in vain. The Romulans will enter the war.
SISKO: There’s no guarantee of that.
GARAK: Oh, but I think that there is. You see, when the Tal Shiar finishes examining the wreckage of Vreenak’s shuttle, they’ll find the burnt remnants of a Cardassian optolythic data rod which somehow miraculously survived the explosion. After painstaking forensic examination, they’ll discover that the rod contains a recording of a high level Dominion meeting at which the invasion of Romulus was being planned.
SISKO: And then they’ll discover that it is a fraud!
GARAK: No, I don’t think they will, because any imperfections in the forgery will appear to be a result of the explosion. So, with a seemingly legitimate rod in one hand and a dead senator in the other, I ask you, Captain, what conclusion would you draw?
SISKO: That Vreenak obtained the rod on Soukara and that the Dominion killed him to prevent him from returning to Romulus with it.
GARAK: Precisely. And the more the Dominion protests their innocence, the more the Romulans will believe they’re guilty because it’s exactly what the Romulans would have done in their place. That’s why you came to me, isn’t it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren’t capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you’ll get what you want, a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant and all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don’t know about you, but I’d call that a bargain.

[Sisko’s quarters]

*SISKO: At oh eight hundred hours, station time, the Romulan Empire formally declared war against the Dominion. They have already struck fifteen bases along the Cardassian border. So, this is a huge victory for the good guys. This may even be the turning point of the entire war. There’s even a ‘Welcome to the Fight’ party tonight in the wardroom. So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would. Garak was right about one thing. A guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant, so I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Computer, erase that entire personal log.*

4 Likes

I mean…there’s A LOT more to WoW than just night elves…you could i don’t know…read about other stuff besides hyper-obsessing about night elves? I mean quitting such a vast game because of 1 story problem seems kinda far-fetched and dramatic if you ask me…

1 Like

I really hope that at the end everything will be alright. The Night elves deserve it . Tyrande too.

3 Likes

So I just watched the most recent Bellular Video and he went into discussion about the male Night Warrior. He made an interesting point that the Night Warrior didn’t talk about Azeroth and that he didn’t have a night elf name. So he believes it could be someone from another planet.

He also goes to talk that Elune could be this interspecies goddess from across the universe as well.

So, I had this very unlikely idea that the Night Warrior(s) sounds like the Green Lanterns. These beings from different species across the cosmos who are all apart of the same thing.

Would be interesting to see all of the Night Warrior lore that Tyrande has gotten herself into.

That other Night Warrior was able to save his planet. Blizzard only allowed Tyrande to kill one Valkyr. Now she’s going crazy and in danger of dying.
Blizzard never treats her right in game so I am hoping for the best but I’m already prepared for the worst.

5 Likes

Cause a story needs to have stakes sorry but most of the playbase would hate it if tyrande just killed Sylvanas and we had no xpac

1 Like

And that’s my trouble with it. I like the Kaldorei, Draenei and Worgen. Plus the Kul Tirans and Dark Iron are neat. But the core Human stories come off as tick the box Tolkien tropes.

And I get thats all some people want. So I understand having it there. But compare the human nations in Warcraft to the ones in the Elder Scrolls or Warhammer or the Witcher and it’s so laughably generic.

The Kul Tirans were a fresh breath of sea salty air. Because Boralus feels lived in and dirty; which is to say it feels actually human. Stormwind is very Disney Kingdom to me. Hell Anduin’s a song number away from winning Disney Princess bingo if you count Genn as his animal companion.

I don’t understand why they keep getting the spotlight. Or heaven forbid, why the more unique aspects are having what makes them special sanded down so they can better fit in with a bunch of mediocre dudes in armor.

28 Likes

Definitely this. I mentioned before that Stormwind’s BGM makes it feel like it should be different setting than it is. Not “little timmy hopscotching with little suzy down the canals”.

3 Likes

I have to agree with Drahliana here. Losing a child will do something to you that cannot be put into words (and that is speaking from rl experience). Then add in all this character has endured in game (not to mention how he lost his son) from there on, the guilt he still carried from his actions in the Old Horde and its a therapists dream (or maybe nightmare) of psychological trauma combined with someone who still tries to hold to the old Orcish honor and traditions. Call him Sadfang all you want, but the man carried a lot inside that would humble most of us if we were in his shoes. And sometimes just yelling Mak’gora isn’t the answer at the time. I for one actually liked following his journey to that moment through the cinematics and thought they did a pretty good job building up to that moment, where as if he’d just screamed Mak’gora! At Teldrassil, it would not have had the same impact.

10 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure what the Saurfang hate was about. Dude seemed really tired and just barely clinging onto hope in Legion after the Broken Shore and watching Vol’Jin die.

He picks a fight with a Pitlord it takes divine intervention to stop in the Warrior Order Hall. Seemed like a suicide by combat move to me. So his attitude in BFA made complete sense to me.

A lot of characters were written poorly or just plain weirdly in BFA but for my money Saurfang was not one of them.

17 Likes

I thought it said despite their sacrifice they couldn’t save their world. I’ll have to go back and read it/listen again.

He became a patsy for Anduin and, by extension, the Alliance. Everyone is chalking up his sudden melancholy as some firm of PTSD. But that’s just it, a big part of his character was never wavering in spite of that trauma.

Suddenly, everything he is is thrown out because of Teldrassil. He’d rather get himself killed than face his demons head on. When that doesn’t work he sulks in an Alliance prison. Worse still a HUMAN TEENAGER gives him a 2- minute lecture on honor and suddenly he’s spurred into action.

It’s character assassination, not development.

:cactus:

20 Likes

Yeah the bits where Anduin had to give him pep talks were weird. But that just made me dislike Anduin, not Saurfang.

I actually think Genn might’ve worked in that context. He’s also an old warrior type who buried his son. And being a Worgen he gets the blood lust thing.

But no we just had to show how wise and noble Andy is.

28 Likes

E X A C T L Y !

:cactus:

3 Likes

Anduin’s in general an odd character.

Initially I found him sorta neat. I was about 12 when I first started playing, and I think Andy was about that age too, so naturally I assumed we were about the same age. That he’d also be in his mid to late 20s.

And that’s not old, but it ain’t young either. He’d be an adult presumably trained for most of his life to assume this leadership position. And while he didn’t expect it to happen so soon, he does have some legitimate leadership career skills he’s developed.

But then I find out WoW takes place with this weird time flow not related to actual in game time. And that Anduin is a teenager. And yeah that’s a little ridiculous.

Having him be a leader would be fine. But supreme command rests on the shoulders of someone who probably can’t legally enter the Darkmoon Faire beer tent? Really?

13 Likes