I give up on tanking

Retail healers. PW:S hasn’t blocked rage generation in the main game for a very long time. They don’t know that it blocks tank rage generation in Classic.

Yup, you completely nailed it. That’s exactly why that “newbie” also happens to be constantly fighting for the #1 spot on the DPS meters, and pulling out all of the typical stops to get there(use of AoE, etc).

Most Newbs don’t even know what a DPS meter even is, and if they’re newbs, they’re more likely to pay attention to advice given rather than blow it off. “Hey stuff’s dying, and we’re not, who cares?” Isn’t something a new player who is still learning the game would say, that’s somebody who has been playing for some time.

Such grit and determination. We shall never see his like again.

1 Like

No you didn’t. You are level 17.

1 Like

It’s both. I am confident in saying, there is a fair amount of bad tanks out there too.

1 Like

The main point the OP is making is true, Early levels it seems people give F all to your threat and if you lose it. “get better scrub.” And it was a chore to lvl through that nonsense but at you get higher it seems you start meeting people with a little more sense.

Also…You are the tank, if they don’t listen, just boot them. I give 0 care about someone doing what they want, I have a guild to run things with, I don’t -need- your nonsense, I tank Rando’s as a favor to the community who doesn’t have access to their own personal tank. Now I won’t say to treat your tank like a god, but have some sense that groups are about utilization of your skills and talents, if you follow a tank and he gathers aggro, You can spit, throw, explode, wand, bite, complain towards any mob that you like.

I’ve just learned one easy thing as a tank in Classic, Don’t want to let me get threat? Well I have this boot here…

Imagine thinking this. KEK

So glad i dont play alliance

1 Like

I can’t take him seriously. He got to level 17, the first dungeon for Alliance (which he is) starts at 17 as the earliest you should go in there. So when he says he “tried”, he didn’t even try enough to level up once since he started running dungeons.

Well, I wasn’t defending him in that way, I just meant the overall point to the earlier lvls in the community with the “Go go go” mentality. Lvling a warrior is pain and suffering at times =p

His post needs some context, when you say you “tried” and obviously didn’t. Then say
“Every single Classic group so far has been a massive fail. No one, and I really mean NO ONE, lets me get aggro.”
I have my doubts, that every group is at fault and not the OP. There are bad tanks out there, who like to blame the group.
Is it possible he had a series of bad groups and he was doing nothing wrong? Sure.
Is it possible that someone who didn’t make it past level 17 was doing something wrong himself, and that was causing the sh!t groups? Yes, and probably more likely.

1 Like

No, You’re completely right. There are bad tanks out there, who will quickly blame others instead of becoming better themselves. There will always be situations in a dungeon run that aren’t favorable, and It’s not always someones fault, Bad pulls happen, Mistakes happen, move on and get better.

Complaining so early on doesn’t make all that much sense, At level 17 I was not keeping threat past 2-3 mobs, but I did the best I could at the time. The one thing I will say about complaining early, Is if you’re having trouble in deadmines, it gets much tougher around lvl 45, and if you don’t have clear cut communication with your group, You won’t stand a chance.

Generally what I do if the dps are “getting ahead of me” is i mark the first target an maybe get 1 sunder on it…hopefully it sticks to me for a second, but then i foucs on getting threat on the 2nd and 3rd mobs and so on. If they pull aggro on the 1st, ita normally dead before it reaches any ranged and if its a melee, they can handle face tanking it for a few. I macro my target icons so when the first target is almost dead, i swap it to the next target. It has helped things smooth up a little. I dont worry about CC target icons unless the group is a little under leveled for the dungeon.

If the aoes start before i have sufficient threat, ill do my best with the rage i have, but the dps know full well they have the ability to NOT take aggro if they so choose. If they die, they die. I will protect the healer first and foremost, then the dps second.

As mom always said, “make good choices”.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly.

I need more rage!!! Not enough rage!!!

2 Likes

I’m sorry but as a tank who raided all of vanilla and quit in TBC I really have to say that it’s the OP who has come in here with a retail mindset, and he’s admittedly the one who’s never played Vanilla before.

The OP expects to have 100% of the aggro all the time. This will never be the case until he’s 60 and prot specc’d.

A good classic tank knows how to keep track of what target he’s put aggro on and to peel them back with taunt when he loses aggro. A good tank knows how to swap to battle stance and drop a mocking blow if he’s really struggling and needs an emergency peel. A good tank knows when to pop challenging shout for an “oh crap give me aggro” situation.

A good tank knows when NOT to taunt/mocking blow/challenging shout. Lose aggro on a 30% mob? Let it go, it’ll get 1 maybe 2 whacks before it tries to run away or is dead. Or on a big pull try your best to hold everything but you realistically are only going to keep 3 on you. Use your taunt/mocking blow to mitigate but honestly just hold your 3. 4 and 5 will wander and hit DPS but as long as your healer is safe then your party will be fine.

Vanilla tanking:

• You will not always hold all aggro. Get used to it.
  • Learn and adapt to what your group can handle. Letting mobs go is okay.
  • Taunt strategically, not on any mob the second you lose aggro on it. Keeping healer protected it top priority.
  • Use bloodrage wisely.

People like the OP think they can just tab/sunder and they should be gold. They think DPS should somehow know what threat% they have on each mob (not even addons know this). Tanking in vanilla is hard. It takes skill, intuition, and practice. If things aren’t going smoothly then talk with your group. Vanilla is about social interaction isn’t it? OP wants an easy solution, as if DPS can magically manage threat and be as mindful of it as the tank. He can go back to retail for an easy tanking game.

2 Likes

At low levels at least, tanks are basically there to distract the mobs just enough to not kill people more than hold aggro on all of them. I feel bad for the tanks in a couple groups I’ve been in, but there really wasn’t a point in everyone waiting sometimes.

This is a huge point too. Tanks that want 100% aggro on everything 100% of the time will force their groups to wait way too long to clear a dungeon. People really need to understand that they will lose aggro - and that’s okay so long as no one is dying and the healer isn’t too stressed.

I’m not level 17, the forums havent updated. Jesus, grow the F up

2 Likes

Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

1 Like

think it’s just the whole “HURRY UP AND GO” mentality from retail. as a mage who has done aoe farming in sm i can say idgaf if we go fast or slow. as long as i get exp im fine. i’ve had aoe groups that were smooth and some that were just trash. last night we had one that went okay at first they towards the end just awful. it took us so long to almost clear before wiping that the adds respawned. if we went at a steady pace we would of been done quicker and actually finished the dungeon.