I give up on tanking

I tried to tank, I really did. I tanked in TBC and all through MoP/WoD/Legion. I love the role.

Every single Classic group so far has been a massive fail. No one, and I really mean NO ONE, lets me get aggro. I have yet to get a single group that didn’t sperg all over the mob right as I pull or even before it.

It’s so thoroughly unenjoyable to tank right now that I just give up. I’d rather have nothing to do at 60 as a mage unable to get dungeon groups than deal with this community and it’s go go go mentality.

You’ve chased another tank away. Good work.

98 Likes

Right on Chuck.

14 Likes

I mean…your only level 17. Thats like a mage giving up on aoe grinding before he has blizzard.

69 Likes

Yeah, Deadmines is super serious guys

22 Likes

If your group is slaying mobs and your beating the dungeon, who cares? Your job is to hold most of the aggro, not all of it. (imo)

16 Likes

He may not have logged out and in to update his actual level.

Dead serious.

18 Likes

I had trouble gaining threat when I did WC at 19. Then I got good and started power shifting to swipe, to gain threat. Now it’s no problem.

I think because he added the caveat that he has tanked since BC, gives him the right to know what he’s talking about. He knows hes only 17 but he also knows enough of the crap that goes into tanking and he sees no one listening or helping, instead they ZERG the target as soon as he engages it.

22 Likes

In SM yesterday, I occasionally grabbed aggro on 1 of 5 or so mobs that were pulled at once. And then I drain tanked it to death incredibly quickly rather than stop attacking.

If your party isn’t dying, losing aggro occasionally isn’t a huge deal IMO. Though I can understand why it might frustrate a struggling tank, mine didn’t seem to mind at all. At higher levels, this might be a different story–but it’ll be a bit easier for you too.

3 Likes

How is that a problem if your are progressing in the dungeon?

2 Likes

If he played since tbc he should also know that at level 17 you dont have all the tools you need to effectively do your job, and should entirely expect some rocky groups in early dungeons.

14 Likes

Because the second they STOP progressing through the dungeon because a mage dies or whatever means the tank gets instantly blamed and probably kicked?

14 Likes

Give it amonth or 2 past release for the Refail crowd to abandon thier flavour of the month and will be fine.

The other thing is the groups your placing yourself in. Find better people, only time I’ve had issues as you describe is when i pug, you can spot the refailer a mile off.

6 Likes

Huh?? you know for a fact he’s actually progressing through each dungeon? They probably wipe several times I’m guessing

3 Likes

What is wrong? That the group doesn’t want to go in slow motion for you to perfect your rotation? If nobody is dying, what is the issue?

3 Likes

Are you wiping? So long as you aren’t wiping or losing people, you’re doing fine. The objective isn’t to hold 100 percent of the aggro 100 percent of the time. The objective is to soak enough damage for the group to survive.

7 Likes

More like all these entitled whining forums posts. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you’re the one that makes this community “dog sh*t”

9 Likes

In every MMO I play tanks and healers increasingly only tank or heal for their guild or their static. So maybe just find a nice guild or group of people to tank for? :slight_smile:

One of the things that helped out a lot is to assign CC to certain people to help make pulls smoother. Tell the Mage to keep Moon sheeped until you are ready for it, The rogue can sap the X or the Diamond before the pull as well, and tell the hunter to lay down a Trap by the healer and to stop pulling for you.

3 Likes