I feel like everyone plays WoW yet no one plays WoW

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience/feeling as I do. I feel like everyone I talk to (that are gamers) play WoW and when I go the cities there are tons of people playing everywhere, I check the guild and there are guild with hundreds of people.

Yet… whenever I join a guild it will say it has 800 players etc… and I join and there are 0 active members or 2 people that log in every few days. I will meet people in RL that play WoW and I go “Oh great! lets group up and play!” and they have been playing for years yet don’t even understand what item level is or how base mechanics of the game work and are just so bad at the game that I end up stopping grouping with them after a few days because not only are they bad but they show zero interest in getting better they are ok just shutting off their brain and being carried…

On the flip side every now and again I meet someone with a good item score and understands the mechanics of the game and I am super excited but then they are unemployed and single and run raids for 10 hours 3 days a week on a schedule and want you to do “try outs” to get in their guild team and all this crap, I have a full time job already thank you…

Where are all the people who are good at the game and know how to play, can use interrupts, understand mechanics and want to just jump in discord and group up for mythic+s and raids to have fun with friends without being on some weird team that spend 40 hours a week training and farming consumables…?

Sry if this was a bit of a rant haha but just wondering if anyone feels the same as I do because I have one other friend I play the game with every day and other then that feels like there are a ton of people in the game all the time but no one actually playing… they are all just running around doing nothing.

19 Likes

I’d really like if they can revamp the guild experience. Add some rewards like badges or something for being active in chat, and friendly. Guild rewards are nice, but not when they’ve been the same for over a decade.

Yea, OP Ive seen that where a guild says 800 members and only a few are active.

6 Likes

Holy crap! You just described my WoW experience 100% accurate!

14 Likes

Same here.

4 Likes

everyone thinks he’s in this demographic.
truly… not.

1 Like

i can’t believe its not butter

7 Likes

You’re describing players like me. I can guarantee I don’t understand the game’s mechanics the way you do. I’m really not very good at the combat aspects of WoW (ironic, yes). I’m a casual who prefers mining and skinning and such. Thing is, I know I’m bad at the combat aspects, so I don’t put myself in a position where people depend on me.

Yes, I’m a protadin. I am the worst protadin tank you will ever meet. Literally you would be better off with, say, Ragnaros as your tank if you were in Molten Core. That’s how bad I am at tanking. I tell people this in advance. You want me to DPS, I can “whack until dead,” but I can’t promise I’m all that good at that, either.

In that way I don’t expect to be carried. I’m just a casual who sucks at a game I enjoy playing in my own dorky way that suits me.

As far as feeling like “everyone plays WoW but no one does,” I run into a lot of gamers who used to play WoW. I hardly ever come across gamers in real life who currently play WoW. Then again, I live in a part of my city where there’s not a lot of gamers to begin with.

It does feel like I rarely meet a WoW gamer in the real world, and when I do they’re usually Horde, or they’re far better at the combat mechanics than I am and we just wouldn’t get along playing together. I’m really good with coming along to help on quests and such if all you need is a little extra DPS or a bodyguard against some cranky mobs. Anything more involved than that isn’t going to be fun for either of us.

The key is, I know that. Some don’t.

21 Likes

I feel the same for the most part. I am tired of guilds.

I see their ads, I whisper them and start asking questions. Lots of questions.

some are…

Have a raid team? Can I get in on a Normal Run? Reply…man we did that months ago but not now.

How many players are on each day? Reply…maybe 15-20. But you have 750 members.

So after I join, I log in at different times each day…I am the only one on. Like, where is everybody?

Nothing social in that.

So I created my own guild. Got all my characters in it. Now when I log in I am by myself but at least I know why.

Nope, no other members.

10 Likes

Waiting for a good MMO. One that isn’t afraid of gear progression in pvp and caters to actual MMO players who understand time/effort+competence equals power instead of esports nonsense.

3 Likes

These are the ppl that pug keys.

2 Likes

Normal people don’t play WoW.

We’re all screwed up in one way or another.

6 Likes

I feel this so much. I wish I could find a guild. Not just any guild but I have two guilds that were…just perfection…sadly they both collapsed and I’ve been sad for it.

I’ve been trying guilds since the start of BFA and most have just made me feel like a cog in the great wheel and not like a person hanging out with friends.

God I miss it. I miss it so much.

3 Likes

Part of this can be answered by asking the question: “Where are you looking for a guild?” Sadly, the in-game guild finder isn’t fabulous and using other sources is a far better way to find guilds.

However… STEP ONE is to prepare yourself for a guild. This means asking yourself what are you looking for in a guild? Thinking about not just activities, but also about culture fit. Do you want a guild super active in Discord or more active in /g chat? Are you hoping for a guild with perks like an allowance for repairs or maybe one which has class leads off of which you can bounce ideas and questions? Does your preferred humor lean more towards NSFW or more towards family-friendly? (Culture fit is EASILY the hardest part!!!) At the same time you want to honestly assess your own ability and available times (including amount of time) you have to play.

The “why” for all that is super simple… if you want to focus on M+, you’re not going to be happy in a guild which is focused on raids. If you want to raid, a guild heavy into PvP won’t be your thing. Or maybe you can only play in the evenings in eastern time zone and thus wouldn’t be happy in a guild mostly active during west coast evening hours. You yourself brought up how it can be hard to have significantly different ability from your guild, so you already see that angle. Etc, etc, etc…

Once you have done that above homework, the hard part starts, which is actually hunting down a guild which fits what you’re looking for and NOT just joining, but talking to them first. AND YOU WILL TALK TO A LOT OF PEOPLE IN SEARCH OF THE RIGHT GUILD… LOTS… OF… PEOPLE. Honestly, no really amazing guild is going to just toss invites out left/right. They’re amazing because they have built a guild culture their group enjoys and will want to talk to you to make sure you fit that culture before bringing you on board. (At the core, that is THE THING which makes an amazing guild amazing.) Some examples of external places to look for guilds in WoW are Facebook, Reddit, WoWprogress, and RaiderIO. Of course many guilds will also advertise here on the forums and how the posts are written can give you a jump start on the feel of the guild.

Dumb as it sounds, talk in PUGs. Did you just queue into a group of four from the same guild? Chat, if they’re interested to chat back. Even if they aren’t the right guild, they might give you another name. (“Oh, if you want to raid, my friend’s guild raids. He/she loves them!!”) Also, something I can’t stress strongly enough, TAKE NOTES!! Write down the guild name, the name of the guild master or officer with which you’re talking (larger guilds will frequently have an officer in charge of recruiting), jot down the names of other people from the guild you’ve met, what you did with them, and your impressions of them, and jot down the pluses/minuses of the guild.

(Example: “Guild of Greatness”, officer: Soandso, ran some M+ with Hithere who always seemed super high energy, pluses: has a guild raid and offers repairs/flasks, minuses: more active when I’m at work.)

Do not try to just remember it all because you won’t remember. You’ll find yourself thinking “wait, who was it who did/said this/that?

But the bottom line is, you only find the right guild by getting out there and talking to people. If you want to raid or focus on M+, I recommend PUGing a few raids and recording the logs so you have something to show to your potential new guild. They will have questions for you, but you should also have some for them about things which are important to you!

Lastly, remember this is NOT going to happen overnight. When my group did our guild search it took us easily four months. That was four months of trail running with groups, hanging out with other groups to get a feel for the culture, and involved a lot of having to say: “You guys are a great group, but it just feels like the wrong fit” and parting ways amicably. Don’t settle when it doesn’t feel right. If you settle when something isn’t right, that something is going to start to seem bigger and bigger over time.

BTW, this is coming from someone who belonged to my original guild all the way from vanilla until the guild finally folded mid-BfA. Literally about fourteen years with the same group – several of which I’m still in touch with!! I know what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thye logged.

raid log, dungeon logged, pvp logged.

they got good at making money, probably ahve millions of wod/legion table gold still so they don’t need to spam.

welcome to wow. both versions of the game fight to be the most raid logged gaming experience ever lol.

each game sees me when I am done for the day in the other. I am not alone here.

1 Like

I think a lot more people play on the smaller servers than we give them credit for. Everytime I meet someone irl who plays WoW, I ask what server they play on and it’s some random no name server I didn’t even know existed.

1 Like

Did you log onto alts to reply to yourself?

Anyway, the answer is probably people who are pugging 20s-22s right now. They understand the game mechanics but probably don’t play 30 hours a week. So get up there and make friends with them :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Casual.
Semi hardcore.
Hardcore.

Those are the three lanes of a MMO. Pick a lane, for there are massive barriers between them.

1 Like

halfway to my 5th year in Wow and I’m in general fairly turned off about guilds, not because working in a group is bad in anyway but there never IS a group or another player that wants to help you with a tough patch. I’d likely BE that player that was willing to help but nobody is interested unless you’re raiding like it’s your job or doing endgame content. This is supposed to be fun, how is that fun? That said, a few very nice players HAVE helped and I always appreciate it and say thank you.

To me it feels like wow is trying to be a mmo but it just isn’t these days. The only social experience outside of friends and your guild is the random people you encounter in the world(which isn’t many right now). The random dungeons are usually not the greatest gaming experience you’ll ever have playing wow. I wish the game would focus more on world content, making friends and doing things together on a large scale. I’m not talking about raids, battlegrounds etc since those are already functioning(instanced) parts of the game.

2 Likes

I think you should look inward on this.

It is abnormal to just be randomly opposed to trialing in a guild and setting a schedule for a game that requires 10-20 players to do raiding content or 5 for mythic. I really don’t understand what you expect. Even mythic+ teams will set a night or two for pushing a week. Do you just randomly thing that 5+ or more players will randomly sync up schedules by pure chance?

Also, if casuals players who “arent good and are being carried” aren’t worth your time, why do you think good players who are “unemployed, single, and play 10 hours a day” would play with you?

I raid in a 3 day 9 hour guild, every person is employed on my roster except one who is a college student. Most of them are married, have RL friends, etc. I have friends that are casual, I play with them too even if they aren’t that good.

Try trialing with a two night or one night raid guild, make some friends man.

1 Like