I don't use a cell phone so no Battle.net Authenticator

I don’t think they’ll be completely phased out but I think in the future it will only be worth it to sale the service to large companies and the government.

But yes there will come a time where it will not be worth it to set up a land line for one house in neighborhood where nobody else is using it.

1 Like

actually no you really cant. the cheapest plans start at 30$ a month here in my state. the govrnment plans in wisconsin are more for people who make less than 2k a year. my state has an atrocious welfare assistance system.

I don’t think anyone needs to worry about tracking your location if

2 Likes

Plus, that person is obviously active on their computer. They can track them anyways.

It blows my mind that people think their computer is more secure than a cellphone.

3 Likes

This thread is pretty much the frog in the pot fable personified.

They’re going to be shocked at how easy it is to find the location of the landline lol

3 Likes

We’re not going to roll back security to 1997 just because you don’t want to get a cell phone.

2 Likes

Agreed. I should have worded my comment more clearly I meant being phased out in residential homes.

1 Like

I’m guessing that means you’re in the anti cell phone group??

I don’t necessarily disagree with your general statement, but sometimes it can be more than that.

I was very resistant to smart phones for a long time after seeing so many people just addicted to them and the general toxicity of social media (my own opinion and not an absolute fact). I don’t have a lot of stuff on my phone and make a point of putting it down and not touching it for a good portion of the day. Trying to be “in the moment” when I can, so I understand a little.

However the world moves forward and we need to move with it and I accept that. Cell phones are great for lots of things and can be vital in emergencies but I think we do lose a little in that constant connection.

:wink:

3 Likes

They won’t. We still have issues in a huge portion of America where there is no cell service or Internet services to use Wifi calls on cells. So until Cell towers get built in Rural Areas.

If I lived in the city, I wouldn’t use a landline.

You don’t need a phone for 2FA.
You need knowledge.

You can run an Android emulator for your bnet app/auth needs, or install it directly as a WSA app in Windows 11, or even just download and install the WinBMA software, which still works.

You don’t need a phone to receive SMS, you can sign up for a SMS API provider with your own dedicated phone number for $1 per month in the US/CA.

If you’re feeling really cheap and intend to never use the phone authentication, there are even free services to receive a SMS.

1 Like

I don’t use social media either but so far it’s not required for anything.

They’re working on it. In the US cell phones are now a gov program. I think my sisters have gov cell phones.

1 Like

NO you can’t that doesn’t work. :person_facepalming:

I doubt your retired with no cellphone/pre-paid phone. no one drives without of those 2 things with them. or travels without one of those 2.

Yeah, a lot of people don’t qualify for those gov phones.

I think it does. Just not using the “usual” ones marketed at gaming (BlueStacks, nox etc.), but the actual one from Google where you can fake a hardware hash.

That wasn’t the point I’m making. The gov isn’t going to issue cell phones to low income families without also paying or help paying for new cell phone towers. It benefits cell phone companies too.

But it’s fine if you don’t want to believe me. I’m sure the people with their old TVs with foil on their rabbit ears thought those were going to last forever too.

Now that I think about it, the only places landlines still have a use is brick-n-mortar commercial businesses - as far as regular/everyday people go basically everyone has already switched to cell phones from what I see

download android emulator
get blizzard app on the emulator
bish bash bosh, bob’s your uncle, the system is beaten.