I don't understand the black blood elf drama

The elves who are obsessed with magic and cosmetics can look however they bloody want. You really don’t need a more robust “lore justification” than

I will be extremely shocked if any actual RPers or lore nerds give a kobold’s rear about this.

Humans are totally a fantasy race in WoW because they are cursed, diminutive robots. They are not a natural species and are far removed from Earth humans.

9 Likes

I’ve already said, they need to have a Ganguro movement in Silvermoon. The Gungu’dori.

How about justifying the lore of thousands upon thousands of “adventurers” or “champions” having all this unique, special armor.

You’re complaining about people playing Barbie in a Barbie simulator disguised as an MMO. Let people have their IRL skin color in-game, jeez.

I mean, I get that they came from stone and a whole curse of flesh or whatever, but to me it looks like they’ve clearly devolved into regular human beings.

I mean does blizzard state anywhere that humans in WoW are somehow different than humans in real life other than their origin? Aside from that, there’s already been dark skinned humans from the get go, so saying “UH THEY SHOULDN’T HAVE EXISTED” if anything is racist.

However with elves, there have never been dark skinned blood / high elves and that’s how they were made. Their distinct features are fair skin. They’re not humans.

3 Likes

Warcraft Traveler explains the different races of humans coming from different areas of Azeroth. Even before that humans who were settled in Tel’abim and the south seas were described as ‘swarthy’.
So there was no reason to complain about humans because they were already given lore reasons.

1 Like

Humans are fine because that’s the reality of us humans IRL.

The thing with belves is, they are not human, they are a whole other race, why are they getting the exact same things as humans? lol

3 Likes
2 Likes

Over a WILLION threads? That is a lot indeed.

2 Likes

It’s not just elves. They’re giving those options to dwarves, gnomes, and various color options to the other races too. It’s across the board, but for some reason people only care about elves.

1 Like

Agreed, and completely reasonable. But where I imply ill will, is when I see us shrug off how easily they hand wave contradictory lore (Illidan’s entire story, Sylvanas’s hatred for the forsaken) into the game, but hold skin colour to be sacred lore that must not be changed, I call BS.

1 Like

Because 1 Elves thing was datamined first.
2 High elf style Elves have usually been fair skinned across all fantasy and mythology. (In mythology dark skinned elves are literally deformed and evil)
3 Blood elves are horde, which means yet another feature that was going to be for the alliance (diversity) is going horde
4 Belves are human-like, basically humans with pointy ears and bright eyes which means that they are already a direct replacement for humans now being way more human-like
5 Gnomes and dwarves are at least related to humans, not only in faction but they are all titan constructs affected by the curse of flesh, elves are a completely different thing.

1 Like

Everyone who does not want black blood elves go play classic and never return to retail.

6 Likes

It’s because, the alliance wanted high elfs.
Humans on the other are not rare but dirt common…
I always assumed, the Asian were elf’s, black humans were trolls, European were Worgen, Russians were Dranei and Gnome/Goblin were blizzard/streamers.
Also, Humans of Stormwind were Americans/ old Roman Empire and Orcs were Huns…

1 Like

I would have preferred options like undead or red felblood skins but more options are generally a better thing.

it looks a lot like the darker undead skin for belves that dks have its possible we may be getting to play as undead blood elves as a option for players. perhaps the night elves will have an option to.

Just because it isnt said doesnt mean there isnt. Do we really need to go and say WoW Dwarves are different from every single other version of Dwarves in other stories? We are constantly shown humans using magic, performing superhuman feats, and killing god-like beings. I dont think ive ever seen a regular human doing that. My point being is once in a fantasy setting doing fantasy things a “regular human” has no relation to us any longer.

I do agree the dark skinned humans thing is blown way out proportion but we have also had fairly well tanned elves since conception, I see it merely as the extent of what they could show dark skin with the options they had at the time. Besides. they are now getting colors of eyes they have never had before, I believe the intention is to show that things have changed and progressed since the time they were all called fair skinned.

Its not some condition, they are capable of change. I mean, if they can turn red or blue skinned with fel or void there is nothing to say they cant change other colors, its not a magic curse keeping them to a single skintone.

2 Likes

You clearly don’t spend enough time on the story forum, or you overestimate how much lore the average player knows.
Not many players bother reading quests anymore, much less buy and read the books.
Heck Sylvanas doesn’t hate the Forsaken. She had a fondness and empathy for them, even though she feels that they cling too much to their past.

But when something the player knows is contradicted they talk about it. The light dredlord, and the light being made a neutral force instead of a benevolent one sparked a lot of conversation back in Legion.
On topic however, humans have always had an option to be black, even if it was nerfed in WoD. Even dwarves and gnomes had brown options, before those were nerfed too. Blood elves for a lot of people were only described as fair skinned, and while now I know better I was with them just a couple days ago.

No doubt there are some who are genuinely angry at the option, but I bet the majority are those who don’t know and want to know and those just trying to smack a hornet’s nest.

1 Like

Is that not the main thing that makes something different?
I don’t understand.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you on everything else but this just reads weird.

If it walks like a duck and acts like a duck then it must be a duck.

Pay no attention to it being a robot or shooting lasers from its eyes, thats normal duck things.

2 Likes