I don't understand the black blood elf drama

Nope. It shows that many people like to spin this around to be about ‘prejudice’ and ‘racism’ instead of storytelling and world-building counter-arguments.

Many did. Go read how many posts there are about how this expansion’s lore sucked, the rage for/against Shadowlands for ‘potentially’ breaking the previous lore,…etc. At BlizzCon people flame the devs all the time when lore is broken and need to be corrected. People care about world-building and storytelling more than you do or think. Blizzard had taught us that it is important. You see it in their art design, race ‘kits’ (why the look of a certain race or character, their backstory, their traditions and customs…etc).

Not white, proud middle-eastern here (and do have a human btw with darker skin because it still fits the fantasy and was explained in the lore). You have not debunked one argument why the lore should be broken when things could have been approached in a much more elegant and classier way (we can still have the representation we want but done right). You are not playing as ‘yourself’, you are playing as a ‘character’ in that world, in that setting that has a backstory, heritage,…etc of its own. In real life I don’t have pointy ears and opaque eyes. Now, in the case of colour (which is something we deal with in the real world that explains our heritage and backstory), this was to establish and tell the story of what happened to that particular race. Night Elves were mutated (became purple), orcs became green (corrupted),…etc. This was all established in hundreds and hundreds of pages of lore and chronicles that people invested in. When it is broken, people feel ‘cheated’. Just like when magic is applied to be a ‘solution’ to every problem in fantasy people feel cheated as well. It is bad writing.

Again, you have not made one rational argument against why lore should be broken in this case. You are using your emotional response to ‘label’ people either racists, ‘internal racist’ (wow I must hate myself, gotta go check), or whatever other ‘ist’ you have in your bag. Here is a hint for you: Orcs from Draenor are brown ( back from Warlords of Draenor). Do you see anyone saying how come orcs ar brown, they should be white? No, because Blizzard had explained the lore behind it perfectly. It all made sense. Those orcs from Draenor never drank the blood of Manoroth (the demon).

Some people are racist, yes (video games or otherwise), other people like ‘fantasy’ to have ‘rules’ to be able to relate to how the real world has rules. When you start ‘breaking things’ for no reason even in a fictional setting, then you can’t relate to it. The reason people did not take fantasy ‘seriously’ in the past (before The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones came about) was that fantasy meant ‘anything goes’. I can do what I want, have any ‘magical power’ I want, defy every law of physics because it’s a ‘fantasy’. As a result, fantasy was labelled to be a genre for children or people with ‘slow minds’, which shouldn’t be.

Get over everything to be about ‘racism’, prejudice, and victimhood all the time. If you want to have a rational discussion (even debate), let’s do it :slightly_smiling_face: !! If not, I will leave you with this: It could have all been done like I proposed in an earlier post. Blizzard could have introduced an entirely race only with darker skin, African or Arabian features that have awesome backstory, heritage (like they did with the Pandaren),…etc. They just needed to put a bit more effort in their storytelling. Instead, they took the lazy route.

2 Likes