I don't understand how multiboxing is different that botting

What they don’t teach you in school is ad hominem shouldn’t even be on the list of logical fallacies. Ad hominems are by definition non sequitur.

If they aren’t then it’s a good insult and part of good communication

I could give you tips on communication but since you haven’t figured it out yet I doubt even my superlative skills will rub off.

1 Like

Started way back in Vanilla. A group on my server at the time account shared their way to GM by playing 24/7. That is one of the primary reasons it isn’t allowed, the ability to keep an account active 24/7. In later expansions there were “World First” achievements for reaching max level that could be cheesed by using account sharing.

If world PvP is that important to you, then with a friend or two you should be able to completely stomp a multiboxer. Find the pilot, CC it, and they’re screwed. Bonus points for an AoE fear.

Except it only takes away from the game if you apply very specific, irrelevant constraints like world PvP. And, once again, these are subjective and also not a significant enough impact in those activities to matter in the end. Even though multiboxing is more common than it used to be, it still isn’t very prevalent.

Okay, once again, you’re forcing your opinion on other people. It is completely irrelevant how anyone levels, gears, and even plays their character. A multiboxer did all that - 5 times. And once again, I question if you think boosting should be banned as well, given it is also not the way you want people to level.

No one said the reason you don’t like multiboxing is that you’re poor, or jealous of them. I have no beef against multiboxing but in no way would I ever do it. I’ve tried out of curiousity during RAF’s overhaul in Wrath, and oh my god just playing two was so obnoxious I had no interest.

It doesn’t matter what you think, Blizzard doesn’t see it as a problem.

You also have to understand that while they may kill mobs faster, they need to do everything 5 times - generally. Loot quests would be utter hell. Can you imagine having to get all those zhevra hooves five times? I guarantee multiboxers don’t level all that fast, or else the speed racers would do it. As for killing people quickly, again, would you also suggest someone who is level 60 shouldn’t be allowed to gank lowbies, since there’s no way the lowbie can fight back and the 60 one shots them?

I think I’ve seen 3 multiboxers since Classic launch. Hardly a glaring issue, in my case.

I’ve played for 15 years, and that’s completely irrelevant. Also if you never actually played vanilla, why did you go into Classic with high expectations of what exactly it was?

We’re both absolutely opinionated, but I stop where my own experience and control ends - I have no control over what Blizzard does, or what a multiboxer does, and I understand the logic behind multiboxing and Blizzard’s stance. What happens in largely irrelevant content (regardless of how much you put stock in it) doesn’t matter in the end.

It’s bad to you and in largely irrelevant content. But Blizzard doesn’t find this enough of a problem to step in. They don’t actively support it, but they don’t actively break it either because they don’t even see it as a big enough problem - not that many multiboxers, and it doesn’t really impact the game in a noticeable way when looked at overall.

For the average player, yeah it’s gonna suck - and then they’re going to move on and probably not encounter that person again.

You can hate it all you want, there’s nothing forcing you to like it - but don’t try and suggest that what you think is fact and that we should all conform to it, and that Blizzard needs to change things. That’s where my calling you entitled came from. You seem to keep forgetting that the multiboxer is a player too, and he’s having fun doing it - and it would suck for them to have it taken away when in reality, he’s not hurting anyone.

No, the software doesn’t control the characters. If it did, the characters would continue to do things when the player is in the bathroom. They don’t. Character actions require player input. You are performing mental gymnastics and making yourself look quite foolish and willfully ignorant.

I don’t think I want anything rubbed off from you. It probably smells.

3 Likes

Exactly.
Boxing and thus multiboxing comes from everquest. You can multibox without software. You don’t get to create a new term.

It was common for people to play 2 accounts I did in 2001. I had 2 computers set up side by side. I was called a 2 boxer. People who had more then 2 accounts were called hydra’s. People were not using the software you talk of. Most computers were incapable of running two instances of the same game.

So you have a problem with the software not multiboxing. So change you maybe you should say why isn’t isoboxer illegal.

I do. I play a priest in a warrior when i only have short time and want to get something done. Most of the time I play one or the other. I perfer this.

My point is it’s unfair to share accounts, that’s part of the reason it’s not allowed. Security might be another part of it. But there equally secure means if account sharing. So it is not only security.

Fairness in the ability for ne person to be able to do something does or at one point did come into play. (Depending on if you think they still really care to re/evaluate such things).

“Specific, irrelevant constraints”. They’re only irrelevant if you describe them as such. I don’t consider it irrelevant, in any fashion. It’s absolutely relevant to my own playing experience. Do I want my experience to be paramount to that of everyone else in the game? NO. But I think there’s a compromise to be had.

That is great that you haven’t had to deal with them too often, and not every multiboxer is obnoxious. But I have, and it became infuriating when there is two multiboxers teaming together to rotate farm spots that I needed at the time.

I mean, sure, the quests are gonna be annoying when multiboxing. Not nearly as tough as leveling 5 separate characters, though, is it? Doing the quests 5 times separately? Not really a valid point in my eyes.

I’m not forcing my opinion, this isn’t even possible. I’m giving my opinion, no one said it was gospel. If you disagree, that’s fine, but stop telling me that I’m “pushing people to conform” when you’re the one sitting there, telling me, that my favorite part of the game is “irrelevant”.

When someone tells me, “it doesn’t matter what you think”, that is very out of touch with reality. It absolutely matters, and that goes for you as well. Stop thinking of yourself as a statistic, we do matter. Just because Blizzard is adamant about things, doesn’t mean I won’t speak on a boring Wednesday while reading the forums.

I’ll end my counter argument with this. Does multiboxing break the game? Absolutely not. For me personally, the elements of the game I enjoy the most out of classic… does it take away from them? Yes. I do not expect everyone to agree. If I did, I wouldn’t have made my original post. Hearing someone’s counter argument is refreshing and provides a new perspective. Also, I suppose prevalence of multiboxing will be an entirely subjective experience. I wish I could say the same, but I’ve had a number of gaming sessions destroyed. I move on and keep playing, but it leaves an awful impression for the remainder of said session.

I hope everyone in this thread is able to enjoy the game the way they want. I personally have not been able to, and I suppose I just value different aspects of the game. Maybe considered irrelevant, or background noise of the game. Many of my friends, older than I and played during original Classic, are gone. Ironically, I was one of the last to leave, as I kept chasing Perdition Blade. Don’t want to bash the game, Classic is awesome. Not for me in 2020, though.

IM it is not any different. It screws up the economy and should be banned. Any account doing it should get banned.

Mages screw up the economy more then a single 2 boxer.
Mages are the 1%. They drive up the price of everything.

Look up any thread about a warrior asking how to farm gold. The most common answer is make an mage alt.

A warrior without a mage trying to by edgemasters as they repair there armor and by consumables. Good luck with that.

But I know a mage who have edgemasters on their lvl 47 alt.

1 Like

Blizz owns the game. Blizz sets the rules, and cheating by definition breaks the rules.

Multiboxing is not against the rules. Hence, multiboxing is not cheating.

4 Likes

I can create a new football league. I can state that all performance enhancing drugs are allowed.

Guess what its now not cheating. It may be unethical for owners to make money off other peoples health. You might think it is wrong. But one thing it is not is cheating. Cheating is when one breaks the rules of a game.

1 Like

See my other post about logical definitions.

Multi boxxing does not inherently itself screw up anything.

There are specific behaviors that do, and they can all be done without multi boxxing.

3 Likes

it’s not, a 5 client boxer is no different then 5 people on discord, in fact it’s worse. it’s still 5v1 but with the multi-boxer you can win.

2 Likes

no it’s not. jfc. you can multi-box without any additional software, it’s right there in the name, “multi” “box”, box being a PC, you can use one keyboard and mouse to control an arbitrary number of PCs and people have been doing it for decades.

2 Likes

You are definitely correct.

My argument is that I would not be upset at the fact that 5 players killed me. Each player most likely earned his or her gear, leveled their character like everybody else, and are allowed to gang up on people. It’s part of world PVP.

However, I personally have a problem with one player, using five characters, utilizing maybe 3-5 keybinds to global me. In my opinion, this takes away from the integrity of the game. Certain classes have potential to outplay them, others really don’t, outside of very skilled players. Taking on three mages and two hunters is a tall task, as a shaman. Too much instant, unavoidable damage. All you could realistically do is CL (not gonna happen) or outrange them.

WoW pvp has no integrity, and that’s exactly how they want it.

2 Likes

Orf please see the above and please explain why you still think the way you do…

Everquest currently has something that is called a true box server.

What it does, is will not allow you to run more then one instance of everquest on the same computer. Thus the only way to box is the have a separate computer for each instance of the game. Thus you cannot easily run duplication software and have to press the keys for each computer. yes some hardcores could probably set up hardware for duplication but it is much much harder.