I don't understand how multiboxing is different that botting

And you don’t seem to understand that as a Mage you can make more gold per hour boosting people in Mara one pull runs than a multi boxer can make farming.

Oh do tell what irreplaceable markets these multi boxers are cornering the spawn points for?

3 Likes

No, usually the boxer just makes a follow macro, and has all their other selves /follow leadername.

I mean technically you could individually walk your other selves around
but with latency differentials between the clients, there would be no guarantee that they would all remotely wind up in the same place.

No, you would be mistaken there.

You can do it with pure hardware, mechanically, which actually gives a lot more options, but most people are not adept at assembling the controller, and it also requires at least several laptops (if not something better) capable of running wow at atleast the most minimal of video settings/resolution.

Some people dual box with, Literally, 2 PC’s sitting side by side.
Better persons than i, that would just get me 2 dead toons for the price of one.

The software people are using is just simply multiplexing the keyboard, that is all, which again, can be done with hardware instead.
the software does not actually tell the game to do anything specifically, it just says you are pushing the A key, when you are actually pushing the A key.

Botting means the client operates itself, within a given set of instructions and parameters, with you doing nothing.
You leave and go to taco bell, come back and your toon has killed, looted and skinned 600 boars.

Guess you’ve never heard of frostmaul e’kos.

And apparently cant do math. Multiboxers can monopolize all 4 lotus per hour. That’s 600-1000g per hour doing nothing but staring at a screen and clicking 4 times.

4 Likes

I’ve played around with a couple of different ways, including alt-tabbing and macros, sending some keyboard keys exclusively to some windows, and multiplexing the entire keyboard.

There are trade offs to each, and I think that some methods are difficult for some people to conceptualize. It seems that people are conflating multiboxing with botting because they don’t have much of an understanding of how computers work.

1 Like

This could be done by 4 individuals as well, and does not require any special software to do so. It could also be done by a single person operating 4 computers, in effectively the exact same manner as if they were to multibox using software.

This doesn’t appear to be related to multiboxing as mapping keyboard key presses to multiple game client instances.

3 Likes

No it cant. Pure lies.

2 Likes

lol. What?

1 Like

You’re being intentionally obtuse.

The only way to monopolize a lotus spawn is to be ready to pick it the second it spawns. 4 people can not stand at 40 places at once… a single multiboxer can.

7 Likes

???

What are you even talking about?

Of course individuals can organize and monopolize commodities. It does not require multiboxing to do so. It is difficult to take such a claim seriously.

And then to state that I’m being obtuse. C’mon!

2 Likes

What is it about reading that is so difficult?

5 Likes

An individual account can have 10 characters on a server, each at 1 of the spawn points in one of the zones, and can cycle through them, while keeping track of timers.

You’re right though, there would be an advantage to having 10 clients multiboxing in that scenario, as you wouldn’t have to script something to login/out quickly, you could just be logged in, and monitoring 10 spots concurrently (or 40, or however many accounts you are paying for).

My point, I suppose was that anything that can be done with multiboxing could be done by coordinating individuals. It wasn’t intended to misunderstand the point that you were making, nor to insult you personally.

I think this is people’s main issue, when it comes to “Multi-boxxing”. You can Multi-box without using said program.

1 Like

This is an argument against the simplest kind of multiboxing, running multiple clients when you have multiple accounts. Anyone can do that and it doesn’t require any software not provided by Blizzard.

I’m not sure how you would even stop that since a family can have all of their accounts under a single battlenet account.

P.S. Plus if you have say 5 or 6 individuals that camp spawn points while they are doing something else you’ll still have trouble getting a lotus. That is more an issue with population density than multi-boxing.

I have a friend who has played wow since 2004, he used to play EQ before that.
He is very very smart (like genius type), but he has Asperger’s.
He has always multiboxed, because he can sit in a game and think 10 things at once, cause his brain runs in warp speed mode.

That of course makes it hard for him to deal with us normal people, especially in multiples, he’s 5 miles ahead of us waiting for us to catch up.

I built him a hardware controller that can handle 10 computers.
If you added a yoke and some rudder pedals, you could probably flightsim a 747 from it. (Trust me, i suggested, but he doesnt like flight sims)

Building it was easy, actually using it though is beyond me, i can not even dual box.

He plays retail and raids solo, with full group comp.
Keeps his mind occupied

6 Likes

Multiboxing is not botting. Botting is automation, multiboxing is transmitting.

Think of a gear with a handle on it. When I turn the handle, the gear turns. As that gear turns, it’s teeth lock with other gears and cause them to turn. However, if I don’t turn the handle, nothing happens. It requires my manual input to transmit the mechanical energy. Compare this to something like an engine, where you just turn it on, and as long as there’s energy in the form of fuel or electricity, it just keeps running even if I walk away.

2 Likes

Botting requires ZERO input from the player.

Multiboxing is still run by player input.

You can have a multibox bot, but those are more rare than people think, and they end up reporting ANY multiboxer as a botter because they don’t understand the difference.

I think the main problem multi boxing have besides open world and what concerns people the most is the black lotust camping. Multi boxers have absolute control over nearly every server and it’s spreading quite quickly.

1 Like

Botting: If the player stands up and walk away from the computer, their character keeps moving around in the world performing actions. The botting player does not press any keys or move the mouse to instruct the server where to move the character.

NOTE: Blizzard has a lot of things built into WOW to prevent macros and addon UI from performing actions that require a keypress or a mouse move. Botting software is written specifically to get around that.

Multi-boxing: If the player stands up and walk away from the computer, their characters do nothing. They don’t move, they don’t cast spells, they don’t buy things, they don’t pick herbs.

The number of clients / characters controlled isn’t important.

The mental and physical action of the player in controlling those characters is.

It is technically “keycloning”, which to many players is just as lame as botting, and is clearly pay-to-win being labeled a “playstyle” by it’s ilk.

2 Likes

Hey, I just took out another $15 dollar subscription. But the account is empty?! There’s nothing on it - no character, no items, nothing! Can you please explain this to me?

1 Like