I don't really understand Classic/BC

So one thing I have always wanted to do was start from the start, Classic, and slowly build my character up getting every MOG, mount, as many achievements as I could and build from there. I know Classic launch is far behind me but I am where I am.

So my question is, because I don’t really understand Classic, BC and Wrath and how they link up…

Can I start a new toon on Classic like today, farm all the mounts and achievements I want, then transfer/upgrade to BC with the same toon and do the same there, and then transfer/upgrade to Wrath once it is live and do it all again? Assuming eventually it will keep adding expansions and I can keep going… sorta like being there from the start.

Or would it make more sense to just start at BC and then go get all the Classic gear/mounts/achieves if possible?

Also, I use Simple Armory to track all my mounts and stuff… is there a separate one for BC/Classic or do the mounts I have in Retail bleed over?

Is Classic now BC or are they two totally separate games? Sorry, just confused.

At the moment you can’t do that.

That’s possible, but some servers aren’t going to be upgraded to Wrath.

I don’t know if it’s available yet, but there is going to be a Wrath server (or servers) that you have to start fresh on (no transfers at the start of Wrath). That might give you what you are looking for as all players would be starting from scratch.

The Armory only shows retail. None of the mounts bleed over.

Yes and No. There are realms that are just Classic. TBC realms have Classic and TBC. Wrath realms will have Classic and TBC. It’s like the original release of the expansions, except that some realms stop at each expansion.

1 Like

Thank you so much for answering these, really appreciate it.

I do have a question on:

So if I started on BC today, do any of those realms allow a transfer to Wrath once it launches?

All TBC realms will automatically be upgraded to Wrath. There will not be an option to stay on TBC realms as TBC only realms will stop existing once Wrath is released. So your choices currently are to play on Classic only realms (which will remain level 60 cap forever and you cannot transfer off of) or start playing on a TBC realm that will automatically be upgraded to Wrath.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh! Got it. Thank you very much Zalani!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers.

So TBC is essentially TimeLocked Progression?

Correct me if i am wrong but classic/tbc do not have mount journals or mogs do they?

So ypur mounts stay in your pack and ypur gwar looks hownit looks?

Or were theae QoL things added?

The Mounts collection UI was added in Patch 3.0.2 (early WotLK). Up until then, mounts were usable items in your bags, so a “collection” would take scarce bag space.

Transmog was added to retail during Cataclysm.

Don’t know if the feature history of the Classic series copies that.

3 Likes