I don't know how to say this

Shaman.

Is it, “Shaw-men,” or, “Shay-men?” This has been bothering me for ages, that I can’t physically say the bloody word. Always thought it was, “Shaw-men,” but a lot of people I know say, “Shay-men.”

1 Like

Everyone is wrong, it is Sh-amen.

5 Likes

It is pronounced shaw-men

8 Likes

You have confirmed my personal bias. I now reward you with a Like, and feel comfortable in that my interpretation is the correct one.

3 Likes

Sha-mone. Easy.

1 Like

It’s pronounced Shuh-man, of course.

Think of it like Sean Connery’s trying to say it.

2 Likes

Anyone who tells you otherwise needs to learn correct English pronunciation LOL :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Shah-mun, with the ‘u’ pronounced softly.

Shamens are a concept from the East. Whoever says ‘shay-men’ are using the bastardized western pronunciation, and doing it wrong.

2 Likes

According to Webster, “shay-men” is the correct pronunciation. It’s how Chris Metzen says it too.

I say “Shaw-men”. I think both are correct. We’re allowed to have accents. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Shamanism is equally found in the Americas. It’s not only an eastern concept.

2 Likes

I feel like any pronunciation with, “mon,” or anything close to it towards the end would be cultural appropriation from Trolls, and while I normally wouldn’t give two ram pies about you blue and green lanky buggers or yer feelings, now ya’ve got Big Brother Zandalari standin’ behind ya, and I don’ really want none of that, so I’ll not be acceptin’ this pronunciation.

Either is correct and how someone pronounces it seems to depend mostly on what part of the world they are from.

Now don’t get me started on the correct pronunciation of Hearth. :smiley:

2 Likes

If you Google the pronunciation of shaman it says: Shay muhn.

Judging by the direction of the world today, it will be turned into the PC term of sha-person or elemental magic user

3 Likes

Shaw-man. It’s said constantly in voiced quests and cinematics.

1 Like

According to Webster, words like Colour are spelt like color. So I’d take that with a grain of salt. :wink:

1 Like

You would use the ingame pronunciation guide for concepts that wow created, like names of places and characters.

But shamanism isn’t something ingrained in wow, it goes back to our history and draws from the culture of the east. I’d be wary of using the ingame pronunciation specifically.

I doubt people actually care though, or would take offense for mispronunciations. My own guild uses a variety of pronunciations, and nobody seems to care, not even the shamans.

Worcestershire

1 Like

I’m not going near that one with ten feet of Ironforge steel.

Yes, but in this fantasy game it’s pronounced differently. Many fantasy and sci fi universes that have been created will do that to be unique.

1 Like