I am concerned with how Blizzard addresses redemption from attempted (or completed) genocide

It’s cringey but that truly seems to be the direction Blizzard is moving in lmao

Anyone see the datamining where our characters wake up from the Matrix?
Im pretty excited.

1 Like

Been too busy playing BG3 and Starfield.

2 Likes

Didn’t hurt D&D. and Pathfinder any.

The lore is what you make of it.

3 Likes

These are completely different games. I enjoy D&D but the world was set on completely different rules. Warcraft on the other had is classic RPG where there are limitations based on lore.

I would rather if certain restrictions were kept, as classes should reflect the society that you play as - their strong and bad sides.

I know Pandaren Demon Hunter is one very tempting option, but at the other hand I’d rather expand on existing class/race combos and making them unique in it’s own, rather than every iteration be exact same thing.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced preserving race/class restrictions was ever going to be an effective barrier to homogenization, though. The game’s been leaning toward that before combos started opening up in the first place; druid was the first example, where tauren effectively never got to have their own take on the class in the first place, later followed by paladins and mages in WotLK with increased emphasis on the Argent Crusade and Dalaran respectively.

I like having my tauren mage. I started in TBC, yet this is the first time I’ve been able to enjoy maining a race/class combo. Do I hate the implication that I’m attached to the Kirin Tor? Absolutely, but that would’ve held true had I still been a troll mage. I just wouldn’t be able to enjoy my character as much on top of it.

3 Likes

Hey, that has some in game basis, as there was a little panda face on Illidan’s Warglaives in WC 3

Well ofc, Pandas taught Illidan how to fite and crafted him a proper warglaive as they are excellent craftmen. Vol’Jin can confirm - when he comes back that is. If he will come back at all.

1 Like

No… the limitations were originally based on Faction PVP balance. Now that all factions have access to all classes. (Remember that Alliance couldn’t have Shamans, and Horde were excluded from Paladins) that consideration has been walked off the gangplank.

There are only two classes thats should have exclusions, Demon Hunter and Evoker due to their nature. (One can also make a case for Death Knight, but I’m not going down that rabbit hole.)

If you truly believe in what you’re saying then Demon Hunter should be also available for everyone else. It’s not like it cannot be taught, right?
As for evokers- there is a work around it - and you know my proposition from other thread - to allow for visage form to take any race that is currently available. Voila.

I’m not propounding a religious belief or a universal axiom. There’s no such thing as a rule without exceptions.

Demon Hunters are pretty much the only class with a solidly defined lore and a singular person as the source.

Evokers are what we would have called back in DnD a “monster class”. from a supplement that let you start with level 1 versions of monsters and evovle into the full form over level progression, say 5 levels to become a bugbear or 20 to be afully realised Astral Deva.

I used this example to show that as much you can deny access to other classes, if you say that DH is so lore heavy that it has to remain locked. If we take the philosophy that everything can be expanded, then that includes DH as well.

I still believe that limitations should be upheld and that there should be more focus on what makes class/race combo unique and provide cosmetics.

As I said D&D is a whole different game that is using completely different system. Like morality one. And all you have to have is Game Master which allows for your character to grow the way you like. WoW isn’t like that.

WoW wouldn’t allow me to for example try to ambush Alextrasza for giggles, WoW doesn’t allow me to go even against my own companions, and me and my buddies are often sabotaging each other.
And even if we take this example then there are restrictions and difficulties depending on what race you pick. So even if you take Halfling barbarian, you still have disadvantages with polearms and other long-reach weapons. And I cannot see it happening in WoW.

Limitations of a game that is a mass market experience as opposed to a homebrew tabletop.

Having dwarf orc or draenei demon hunters actually weakens the story foundation of the class in a way that tauren and night elf mages do not.

You’re the one who brought u D&D as an argument for all class/race combos. But then you pull this one :

Like how it would weaken the story? Draenei has Man’ari now, and we already had fel orcs. In creative way you can make the class work for them.

Personally, I’d stop with adding new combos now, and work with what is already there, but you’re the one who was for allowing access everything to everyone. So to me it looks like you eat the cake and want to have a cake.

And I think nelf mages weren’t as non-issue as you claim to be, because a lot of people have problem with it to this day, and I rarely see in game nelf mages.
The only saving grace is that historically elf had mages in ancient times.

But that is another subject, as we’re already derailing this thread. I’d love to talk about classes and their fantasy but on another thread.

Absolutely… I also recognize that there is a difference between Hero classes, Monster Classes, and mainline PC classes. Demon Hunters and Evokers are not the same kinds of classes as all of the rest.