Hunter vs Rogue Classic SoM

I can’t choose. I have never played a weapon wielder and actually leveled without some aspect of boosting in the past and only played through the game with mage (except vanilla). I am stuck between rogue and hunter with mining/engi for a wpvp and leveling experience on a pvp server. I want an agi class with nice crits and an ability to wpvp and have CC. Any tips would be very welcome.

Hunter is easier than rogue in WPVP and way easier to level. Rogue is more OP because of stealth. You can pick your fights. On a hunter you will get camped more. Very difficult to camp rogues. Rogue PVP is difficult. If you don’t get opener you will probably lose to a lot of classes. Also if your gear sucks you won’t be able to kill people in stun lock without blowing all your CDs every fight. Rogues also lose to hunters very easily.

Hunter is probably the best all around class if you intend to PVE and PVP in BGs. Hunters in BGs are amazing.

Hunters crit all the time. Rogues do also if dagger spec.

Rogues will be insane in PVE if they can stay alive during new boss mechanics. They are probably the top DPS in SoM, if they can stay alive. Hunters are doing very well because ranged is more important in SoM and they can just keep shooting even when they run low on mana, unlike casters.

3 Likes

So, roll both and play them until you decide.

6 Likes

Haha your rogue posting avatar made me do a double take, OP.

Gotta love trapping.
Try hunter.

1 Like

Roll ret and call it a day.

2 Likes

Yeah i technically have a 60 rogue but didn’t level it the real way.

There’s way too many rogues right now, I would go hunter.

1 Like

Whatever you do do not listen to this guy …

Rogue dominates literally everyone 1v1 in wpvp when you have full cds. The only issue you will have is catching druids cause nobody can catch them but hes not going to kill you.

Rogue+engineering = wpvp god.

Hunter is bottom tier in pvp

Mage, rogue, lock, priest. All better than hunter… Warrior with someone healing him don’t even both with in classic… Hunter has a deadzone and LEEWAY is EASILY abused by competitive pvp’rs.

Rogue doesn’t need gear early on to kill ANYONE because of cold blood in fact its exactly the opposite. This troll mage is a 1200 forever rated arena hero. Cold blood is a cd that gives you 100% crit on your next evis…

Rogue with cds up = whoever you chose to kill is dying outside of highly skilled druids that can run away for days.\

Unfortunately Druid/hunter are C tier on the pvp list.

1 Like

In classic, rogues are only good for stabbing people out in the world… and that is about it. Soon as you enter any BG or raid; you become a poor man’s warrior. It won’t help that if you plan to go PVP, rogues will be the top pick class, with warrior as 2nd. Good luck getting a raid slot and gear when literally half the 40m raids are warrior/rogue all after the same drops. I don’t recommend these classes if you want to raid because of over crowding. Most people chase the damage meta, which in classic is warrior/rogue.

Hunters are really good in classic. They dominate BGs and have little to no competition in raids. People avoid the class for the exact opposite of why they all flood on the others. This one doesn’t push enough numbers in classic raids. But that means you get to come in, enjoy a great soloing class, the best BG class, and have little to no competition in raids. You’re likely to be 1 of only 2 or 3 hunters in a 40m raid. You’ll quickly get all T1 and T2 pieces, and get priority on the best ranged weapons. You will get the shaft on other slots, but you can farm the 20m raids with a faster lockout to pad them up.

1 Like

Hunters are insanely boring to level but they’re strong, stronger with no WBs.

I’m enjoying rogue more, got a hunter to 31 and rerolled to Rogue, currently 29. I went to a pvp server of course, no other way to play a rogue.

This is not correct.
Good hunters don’t worry about dead zone.

FD + freezing trap. Speed boosts, scattershot, etc.

Good hunters can be terrifying.
Thankfully not many hunters are good.

5 Likes

Hunter is far more mobile than a rogue in the early levels unless you spend your first 10 talent points in Subtlety, which really stunts your damage and hit.

If you want to be mobile and have more options in the early game while leveling, go hunter.

If you just want raw damage, go combat rogue…just know that it’s really not like a retail rogue. Stealth is MUCH slower moving and unless you get the jump, you’ll fold like a wet paper bag in the early levels.

I vote rogue because I find it far more fun to play, but those are the considerations that came to mind when I read your post.

Best wishes. Have fun out there.

P.S. Like others have said…rogue is king of WPvP in this iteration of the game and it’s not even close. My comments were about the early leveling process, and only in comparing hunter 1-30-ish vs. rogue 1-30-ish, which is what you seemed to focus on as your deciding factor.

1 Like

With questing being superior to grinding, the first 10 into sub is definitely the way to go to skip to objectives. The damage hit isn’t as bad as you think. I’ve always leveled as hemo in classic. The sheer survivability makes it better than combat leveling unless you are only grinding dungeons. Hunter is still the leveling champ though especially once they get FD.

2 Likes

You don’t even know what weapon to use in mainhand as a rogue stop giving PVP advice.

Rogue loses to hunter almost all the time regardless of how good you are at rogue.

Rogue also loses to shadow priest most of the time.

Good warlocks also will probably kill you if you don’t stun lock them perfectly.

Mages are 50/50 vs rogue if both people have all their CDs.

Warriors kill rogues easily unless they are kited well.

Druids can easily kill rogues if they get away and then root them.

Rogues also kill other rogues very easily.

If you don’t get opener on rogue you probably lose the fight.

Rogue PVP is not easy unless you are fighting lowbies (probably what you do) or you fight undergeared and clueless people.

You are a buffoon and probably get farmed on rogue.

Hunters are top tier in PVP and can beat almost anyone. Just reference any of the CDLs from classic.

Again, you don’t even know what weapon to use in what hand. You were asking people in a different thread.

2 Likes

Do not disparage T-shirtgnome.

1 Like

I am so glad blizz broke boosting.

anyway my vote is hunter. I played rogue in classic.

1 Like

Undead rogue eats shadow priests for breakfast. Maybe the most free kill in the game, idk.

While leveling? Nah, they’re probably just dead if you jump them out of nowhere. At max when they have their full toolkit it’s less good for rogues but undead are still good against them.

Mages are nasty. And they’re all leveling as frost. Frost Nova bones rogues hard.

Definitely agree.

Bro, why are you talking about arena rating from a level 31 in the most casual version of this game ever released?

1 Like

Shadow priests dump on rogues. Rogues only have a chance with trinket + will. Who cares if you will the 1st fear. You can’t kill a good shadow priest fast enough before their fear is off of CD. They just fear you again and you are boned.

But if you have trinket you at least stand a chance but you will probably die from dots anyway even if you manage to kill the priest.

Warlocks are squishy but if you don’t stun lock them they can sac pet and fear you and you are dead. Even if you will fear they can healthstone and fear you again if you don’t kill them fast enough. Not to mention they get deathcoil at some point which you can’t get out of with trinket or will.

There is a reason why warlocks are top duelers. They beat everyone, except really good rogues. Average rogues will lose.

Go hunter

Too many rogues taking hit loot and daggers/swords it will be brutal gearing.

Also hunters are great against rogues in pvp which is great due to the over saturation of them in season of mastery

1 Like