Hunter traps and the things that should happen to them

heya.

now that everyone has had the “pleasure” of experiencing traps from hunters…

frost trap needs to only have a chance to entrap on the first tick and also the slow AND the entrapment needs to dr each other so multiple hunters cant spam traps and hold up 20+ people at a time.

explosive trap needs to have its initial damage reduced by half and the half that was reduced baked into the dot.

sans these changes, or even with these changes, there should be a cooldown on being able to launch traps (say 15+ seconds) if trap launcher is equipped.

i dont care that people use 3 runes and 9 talent points .

the simple truth of the matter is hunter traps are way more oppressive than anything any other class has ever done in sod including p2 way of earth dual rockbiter enhancement shamans.

this affects both horde and alliance and there are way more hunters in the game than either faction specific class .

something needs to be done.

3 Likes

no, but you want so bad for this to be true

no
just kill us, we have no defensive capabilities.
we are the glass cannon.

L2meathook

3 Likes

guess you havent been in brm or av chokepoints and watched hunters control the entire battlefield making people ez targets for all the other ranged in the group.

youll see it soon enough.

i know youre not stupid so you will see it and agree soon enough.

I know and it’s very strong and annoying, but it’s not “right click you back to the graveyard” strong lmao. also they’re not indestructible.

I’m 56 rn so haven’t stepped into AV full disclosure, but have fought plenty of trigger happy sperg horde players. I understand how it will play out. everyone’s gonna be slowed at choke points constantly.

different than being an actual raid boss

If you’re getting meathooked, the problem is where you are positioned. There’s no reason a warrior should ever be that close to you.

1 Like

Rooted, not just slowed. No diminishing returns. And the CD for the trap is lower than the duration of the trap.

1 Like

MM hunters actively dont want to move an inch because of sniper training.

It’s not insanely hard to close the gap.

And if we DO move, we will NOT get off our big hitters

1 Like

pve and pvp are different things champ. Also I’m sorry you find it difficult to land shots with near permanently rooted targets, a ranged snare, and 41 yard range.

not me baybay I’m built different :sunglasses:

nah jk the entrapment effect 100% should have diminishing returns, I agree with that

I do think explosive trap damage should be nerfed somewhat, and melee hunters should be compensated for the damage elsewhere, seeing how melee hunters are doing bad right now. Otherwise though? Shamans are just as oppressive if not more with their totem movement and insane burst.

1 Like

This change is a quality fix for the current state of Frost and Explosive Trap in PvP. I have also suggested this as a correction after spending time on both sides of the traps.

The wording here is important. If they simply reduce the initial damage of Explosive Trap by half, you would only see a small reduction in the damage dealt (the baseline trap doesn’t hit very hard). The damage people are seeing is coming from the T.N.T. rune on bracers that adds 50% of the hunter’s MELEE attack power to the initial hit of Explosive Trap.

I would not be against them rolling a chunk of this damage into the ground effect DoT instead of the initial hit as it preserves most of the PvE effectiveness of the trap while greatly reducing the PvP burst potential and introduces some counter play to avoid the on-going ground effect damage.

I’d also be open to T.N.T. simply changing Explosive Trap into Explosive Bomb (remove the ground effect DoT portion entirely, reduce the initial hit damage by something like 35% but have it put a debuff on targets that were hit that increases the damage taken from Explosive Shot by 35% for 6 sec. This would spread the damage out across multiple global cooldowns and create some interactions for the hunter to consider while also creating more ‘exposure time’ for actions to be taken against the hunter to possibly neutralize it. PvE this would not change much as the concept and basic rotation are preserved.

This is already true. Traps have a 15 sec cooldown with Trap Launcher (boots rune). There is an additional rune on cloak called Resourcefulness that reduces the cooldown to 9 sec to allow for the current Trap > Shot > Shot > Trap > Shot > Shot rotation that ranged hunter’s are built around (including the T1 6-pc bonus coming in Molten Core). Increasing the trap cooldown would create dead spots in the rotation and make it feel clunky.

I will say it may be feasible (at the cost of some solo content ability) to have one ice patch from Frost Trap expire if an additional Frost Trap is triggered. Currently, it is possible for a single hunter to have multiple Frost Trap ice patches dispersed across the battlefield. They can only have 1 untriggered trap of each type out at a time (launching new trap will cancel any that were not triggered) but once triggered additional traps can be thrown out and also trigger. Considering a 9 sec cooldown and 39 sec duration (w/ talents), you could in theory have 4 different ice slicks spread out at once.

You should care that the hunter has chosen to spend 5 total runes and the bulk of their talents to improve trap performance and build around traps as a core mechanic and the essential portion of the rotation. To make drastic knee-jerk changes would be destructive at not productive in the slightest.

That being said, I do agree with most of your points above and gave feedback. I do not however agree with the change to trap cooldown as that would be spec breaking.

Hunters historically peak early and are always one of the strongest dps at the start of a phase but tend to fall off later in the phase as other classes get better gear. Hunter is not very reliant on gear compared to many.

I do agree the current state of traps in PvP (more specifically group PvP) is oppressive and could stand to be looked at and tweaked.

EDIT: The bold portion above about the active Frost Trap or Explosive Trap ground effect disappearing if a new trap of the same type is triggered would actually be a HUGE quality of life improvement for group PvE hunter as the persisting ground effects can pull additional NPC’s that pat into them and there is nothing the hunter can do about it (the traps persist for up to 39 seconds with talents). This would also greatly address some of the PvP pains people are feeling currently.

2 Likes

For explosive, just make it so you only take the initial damage once, every 3 or 5 seconds. This makes it so it doesn’t nerf pve damage, while preventing multiple hunters with traps one sitting groups of people.

PVP with this rubbish is ridiculous …

I think they should just ax the CD reduction from the Resourcfullness Rune. Even outside of how oppressive they are in PvP, traps have just become way to big a part of our rotation, its kind of annoying spamming them nonstop in dungeons.

You don’t have to play with traps…there are builds less focused on using them. If resourcefulness goes away and traps go back to 15 sec for trap launcher, then the overall dps for ranged SV is going to dip significantly and that rotation is going to have a lot of dead space we are trying to fill with multi-shot and…something else? Raptor Strike i guess…now you are trying to push weaving which isn’t needed.

guess they gotta let alliance win av race with their 4+ hunters slowing entire offensive pushes of horde to a crawl .

fun times indeed.

remove the in combat trap rune and everything is fine :expressionless: traps are supposed to be powerful but the counter is keep the dang hunter in combat so he can’t use em

Just ignore this guy. He has 2,000 posts here defending Shaman. It’s absolutely pathetic.

This is a great post but you wasted your time writing all of this out for a terminally online shaman troll. He doesn’t care. He wants your class deleted because he died once to a hunter and shamans are supposed to be completely untouchable in sod.