Hunter ever an issue finding groups?

im debating on maining a hunter for the first time i’ve had one but never mained it cause so many play hunters. I am wondering though is their ever an issue with them being able to find groups like say raiding/M+/PvP?

im speaking just on class terms not dps terms. my other option atm is a lock but i mean i’d much prefer a Hunter over a lock for pet class as im not too huge on lack of demon options unlike Hunters i can tame so many pets

With pugs… any class that isnt in MDI you’ll get trouble. You’re best off starting your own groups.

Good thing BM hunter is 100% MDI meta then :smiley:

You’ll have absolutely no problem when it comes to PVE, raiding or M+. BM hunters are S tier in both. In pvp, we’re more restricted by comps than locks who can play almost everything because they’re the best class in the entire game, but shouldn’t be a problem either if you like playing hunter, don’t worry about it. (Talking about 3v3, 2v2 surv hunter is super good and meta)

4 Likes

I can never get into pugs with my 450 Hunter… But then again I have no io score or AOTC so theres that POS metric.

Its funny to me how pugs demand AOTC for heroic raids when half the playerbase likely bought theirs…

1 Like

The beauty of hunter is that it’s been a solid DPS spec since TBC. So long as you’re the right spec, you shouldn’t have a problem getting into a group.

That being said, shaman is pretty cool too.

yea i know what you mean i pug my raids due to work schedule and always find it funny that they are requiring AOTC for a heroic run and then when i get in they are having trouble clearing bosses. then when we actually down the last boss about 50% of the group gets their aotc -.-"

i understand wanting an easier timer but doesn’t mean that people without aotc don’t have skills or knowledge of class could just be they took a break or w.e. i don’t mind helping others get aotc though via pugs usually if i keep up from the start of an expac i have no issues but i typically take a break after the first raid then come back mid expac.

This is the problem I run into, I’m currently stationed in a location with garbo internet and can’t really push much more than a 7-8 due to connectivity issues. My hunter is decent enough geared to run a +10 but i can barely get invited to an 8 these days thanks to stupid IO crap.

Raid lead: “Are you BM?”

Me: “No, I’m survival(or MM depending on the day).”

Also me: Gets declined

Daily occurrence.

2 Likes

BM is definitely meta for the current raid and they are very, very strong for M+.
PvP is a different matter. Survival is the “best” hunter spec for pvp but even that is really far outside of meta.

Why in God’s name would any raid lead invite you, a 450 hunter with no aotc, when there are a plethora of players Qing who are 470+ with mythic boss kills?!?!

Please explain why you think you deserve to be invited over these other players who vastly outgear you and have exponentially more experience than you, I’m curious as to your reasoning. PoS metric :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Getting mad about it won’t make it go away. There will always be a metric players use to judge others and determine whether someone is worth their time. In WotLK Gearscore came out as an addon when raids were suddenly very pug-friendly, and Blizzard eventually introduced ilvl to sum up a character’s gear. I imagine Blizzard will eventually create their own answer to Raiderio.

More to the point, never have an issue finding groups when I do pug. Hunter is a solid contributor to a group, especially a BM hunter who brings a lot of utility (dispell pet, lust pet, CC, root for necrotic if talented, solid aoe and single target, your entire rotation can be done on the move). MM is also a solid choice, but lacks the utility of a pet and handicaps themselves if they have to summon one. Can’t speak for Survival, I don’t play hunter to be a melee dps.

I’ve never had any issues , as long as you try to stay positive and actually message people before requesting an invite it usually goes pretty smooth

Ya, I got started a bit late on my rogue this tier, so he’s been behind on cloak upgrades for a bit (but I’ll have my final catch-up upgrade next week!). I’ve been PuGing normal N’Zoth for the cloak upgrades most of the last month, as my raid group has largely stopped clearing heroic in favor of mythic progression (working on Shad atm).

Even with only running in groups that have AotC requirements (for normal), with something like a 455-460 itemlevel requirement, and we still see peeps getting MC’d (and not even jumping off the edge before the debuff ends), or leg-humping Paranoia peeps, or not knowing what to do downstairs, or not standing in the circles in the last phase, or running the wrong wait for the arrow pull. /sigh.

I’m 2300 and survival and never had an issue getting in a group. Ofc I’ve had a random boot or two because people have no clue that survival is viable because they never see it.

BM is basically the best overall dps right now. If you can’t get in a group it’s because of some other factors. I’ve been running with 3 hunters lately and the dungeons have felt so easy.

2 Likes

Yeah, you may be adequate for +10 but there are gazillion DPS’ers seeking invites for M+10 key. Have you tried to advertise your +10 key on the Dungeon Finder? There are pages of more than 12 people per page seeking to be invited. There are many players better than you. How would you convince the key holder that you are the best out there?

This is what the key holder sees thru raider io who seeks invite:

Miggz

• Mythic score = 400,
  • 5+ bracket timed runs = 8
  • 10+ bracket timed runs = 0
  • Highest key completed = +8

Jhannae

• Mythic score = 1384,
  • 5+ bracket timed runs = 32
  • 10+ bracket timed runs = 27
  • Highest key completed = +13

I knew this since Legion.

At M+13, I know there are a lot of players with higher io score than me. I know I can handle it as I have multiple +12 runs where I carried my PuG group regardless of affix. But I am not sure if the +13 key holders would choose me. Well, I will have gazillion M+12 successful timed runs until I can convince key holders to choose me on +13.

In my experience, the issue with that is that so many of those groups, where a DPS is forming a group for a key, get 3 DPS and then sit there for an hour waiting for a tank or a healer, because a lot of tanks or healers won’t bother applying for a group unless it already has the other in it, so the run can get started quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if tanks and healers are also picky about the IO of the group leader of any group they are applying to.

I have my guild wanting me to go all the time but I can’t. I am on call and don’t want to screw over any groups I join (not to mention I have not raided at all this expansion), so 99% of the time I just solo. Good thing is that this all changed at the end of the year so I will be able to raid again starting next expansion.

Hey, now. That’s not always the reason. I know Survival is viable and I still boot it when I see it.

1 Like

Afraid they will outperform you?

1 Like

I have to put this in here because this literally just happened and it was so bizarre I think I lost IQ points because it.

Heroic raid looking for ranged dps for Ra-den.
I queue for it.
They ask me what kind of hunter I am.
I respond with “MM”
to which they reply and I quote “Sorry we need ranged.”

1 Like