Human heritage questline was perfect(obvious SPOILERS)

I am quite impressed. It does feel like Stormwind has finally turned a page when it came to the defias. So a few things I really enjoyed:

1. the knowledge that Anduin truly was trying to reform the house of nobles and gave amnesty to the defias and was sending supplies to Westfall. Basically every criticism leveed against Anduin(and by extension the Alliance) regarding the Defias was being addressed.
  2. Marshal Mcbride commenting on how my character has grown as a hero.
  3. A redemption for Vanesa? I never expect it but I am quite pleased.
  4. The final villain being Onyxia’'s shadow was perfect. Like she was ultimately responsible for all of it.
14 Likes

As someone who’s only recently returned to the game this was my first experience with a heritage quest. It came off feeling a little hammy to me, but hey I feel like that’s how much human content in this game feels. There were some interesting developments though, most of which you mentioned.

I thought it was nice to learn that a racial leader was actually doing some ruling and not just being an action hero all the time. It was also really cool to not only see the house of nobles get a mention, but actually seeing one of the noble families in game. Vanessa and the Defias getting some closure was especially nice. I hope she’s able to lead a happy life from now on, but I also hope this isn’t the last we see of her.

Edit: I just logged in after making this post and noticed that the shoulder armor sits very far back on my characters shoulders and this is bothering me way more than it should. >:(

god forbid, if anduin is allowed to hold some…bad feelings toward an organization that in the end…killed his mother…but i forgot, its anduin.

9 Likes

He can hold bad feelings and still pardon them. His mother was a strong voice in favor of the Stonemasons, and pardoning the ones who actively helped fight the Legion makes sense as a way for him to honor that.

15 Likes

I liked how the quest line went and Vanessa being our unexpected ally was a nice suprise and her redemption/change of heart is something I didn’t see coming.

I did like how Anduin was attempting to reign in the corruption within the House of Nobles and giving amnesty to the Defias who wanted it. Even he realized not all of them were evil people. Most were just poor people in the right place at the wrong time.

I do love the robed version the best though. It looks super cool

2 Likes

The implication that they were also heavily affected by the war with the Legion was also a nice bit of continuity. Westfall was one of the Legion invasion zones, so it helps add some reasoning to them joining up with the Uncrowned.

5 Likes

From an in-world lore perspective sure it’s fine, oh good Onyxia is behind it all but it was the greed of former insurgents and corrupt nobles the one that caused all of this, reminds me of the Lord of the Rings’ analogy.

–

My issue here is that the message it sends just irks me.

Coming from a country with an extremely complex peace process with multiple insurrectionary forces doing very similar things, it does leave a sour taste in the mouth how we don’t get to see these reparations at all, how Westfall is left in the same state as it has always been despite being told Anduin apparently did reparations to the people of Westfall - and how the conclusion is pretty much the dream of a peace-loving neo-liberal, where Vanessa and the daughter of the noble go feed the poor of Westfall.

We’re let to believe doing something is enough, yet not real change has happened in the world. It feels a bit empty to not see Anduin do any of this, to not see any of these reparations.

It reminds me how FARC had a wave of insurgents go back to war against the state whilst having most of their former heads be part of the ruling government, how complex this peace process continues to be - It’s hard for me to see the Defias’ red bandanas and not think of ELN, how they don’t want to make peace with the state despite us having our first leftist president in years…

–

Overall, for the purpose this will serve the community, I feel this will increase interest in Defias roleplay, and hopefully, the players will create more complex stories than those we’ve seen.

I want to see the nobles in-game being punished for what they did, and see Westfall be updated somewhat, and I guess that dissatisfaction does come from well, knowing all the love Blizzard did in 9.2.7 for the Forsaken - I guess I expected that same level of engagement. Taken at face value it is a simple and elegant way to have you acquire this new armor, but I guess my brain will always expect a bit more.

I don’t want devs to read my comment because this was genuinely a good questline, and it would be frustrating to try to please everyone. This is why I rather not draw real-life examples of these fantasy settings, and well I can’t blame devs who probably have lived in the comfort of United States California all of their life… You’ve done great with the limited budget you were given for this questline.

So, one could argue this is more of a matter of it hitting too close to home for me to feel comfortable talking about it rather than the story being fine on it’s own.

She was an element, but ultimately it was the noble’s corruption that which let to this item act as a catalyst of their corruption.

This is what does irk me about the message of the story, it wasn’t just Onyxia’s necklace.

7 Likes

She played both sides, she made the nobles think the workmanship was shoddy while getting the defias to ask for exorbitant sums. That was the entire point. That had Onyxia not existed then the situation might have never escalated/could have been resolved more peacefully.

8 Likes

Bummed the questline wasnt about Lothar. Oh well guess its fine they dont ruin him too.

5 Likes

It was good but I heard the Orc One was better since they added alot of Orc Characters from different clans.

2 Likes

Does sound like it was kind of a waste with such very narrow focus on stormwind. It didn’t really explore the “heritage” of human except trying to justify the wrynn Dystany which again is such a narrow focus. There is more to humans that than just Anduin.

I really wish the explored the origins of humans more and fleshed out that part of the history of humans especially with an expansion that already features Tyr so heavily.

Or show the differences of the different human kingdoms.

3 Likes

I haven’t played it yet, but I was waiting for the twitter crowd to go head over heels for the Orc campaign assuming it was a love letter to Orcs but then absolutely loathe the Human campaign if it wasn’t an open condemnation of WoW Humans or did not go hard enough to address some IRL political complaint about Western society.

Because Horde things have to be great and positive while Alliance things have to be about how Humans are mean.

4 Likes

Should have been called Stormwind Heritage.

1 Like

That honestly probably would have been the best choice because apparently people don’t know how the races in WoW works lol

1 Like

This is a real problem they have these days as humans have been boiled down to just “WESTERN CULTURE” and there is no attempts to diversfy them or make them stand apart. We are all just boiled down to generic human fantasy and there is nothing unique about them in this universe.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why people assumed it would somehow encompass all humans, but the recolours for the armor are a decent enough nod to that. The dwarf heritage chain didn’t touch on any of the other clans either, and the blood elf one didn’t mention the high elves or the void elves despite them sharing a heritage. Tauren also have multiple tribes in lore, but they’re only ever referenced generally. The human PC is canonically from Stormwind, everything else is just roleplay.

It was a decent callback to when Stormwind was more nuanced and complex in lore, and I appreciated all the little details (Marshal McBride recognizes your character and gets all teary-eyed about how far you’ve come).

15 Likes

The difference is other than the dwarves there aren’t known other tribes of tauren in the horde as Highmountain and taunka are there own race. Same with the other ones you listed there.

Humans have come from mulitple different nations and have little to no history before wacraft 1. Even stormwind isn’t the same nation that it was originally before it was destroyed. It lacks any kind of personality it is just too generic to like these days.

Blizzard fails to recognise that people want some actual personality to their race. Its why people gravitated towards Worgen as that culture was atleast unique. Even Kultiras as more personality than the primary human race. They need to make stormwind stand out.

4 Likes

Anyone know if someone has upload the “alternate” cutscene for the heritage armor? The one where if you did the attunement in Vanilla there is apperently a different dialog/you see yout toon in the cinematic?

1 Like

I enjoyed it. It was a fun little quest that moved forward the story of a couple zones that hadn’t really been touched since Cata.

2 Likes

There are tons of tauren tribes not counting the subraces like the HMT or Taunka.
I’m not even going to mention half since there’s canonically 20+ in the Horde.
The Cloudsong that’s well known for their shamanism and took the mantle as the spiritual leaders of the tauren tribes after the skychaser tribe was wiped out, the Thunderhorn known for being the greatest tribe of tauren hunters, Stonehoof the tribe known for their smiths, the Stonespire had their home and sacred land that they were tasked to care for where Bael’Modan now stands, Winterhoof who specialize in alchemy and herbalism.
They still follow the High chieftain which is currently Baine though. This is why he got the High chieftain title, since he is above the tribes regular chieftains.
Just like how HMT is made out of several tribes, same with the Taunka.

However, the tauren like any other race that’s made up of different groups suffers from being shown as a single blob. And not giving us enough tribe story.
Anyway, I’m getting off-topic, this is a human heritage thread.

I think it was neat how the heritage questline does some callbacks to older questlines we’ve seen and even changes if you’ve done it on the character.

7 Likes