Huge nerf to solo/outdoor gear progression in DF Season 1

Many people did, yes.

I guess we’ll see how it turns out.

(But we KNOW how it’s going to turn out, it will be a ton of “there’s nothing to do”. Then again, Shadowlands had a TON of stuff to do in the open world and the same people didn’t bother to do ANY of it, all while complaining nonetheless that “there’s nothing to do”.)

8 Likes

There’s often little interest in doing content, just wanting the rewards from said content. :sob:

3 Likes

indeed.

do you think 11.0 will be the final expansion? I doubt they’ll make more after based on reception. They might just make big patches and package them as expansions from here out… after clearing the pipeline.

I think they’ll keep making expansions.

Half the people buy it, play for a month, and quit, but I think Blizzard is perfectly happy just with those ‘box sales’.

6 Likes

You have a good point that many casual WoW players are failing to see.

Yes, outdoor DF is going to have Dragonriding. Yes, the zones are going to be huge. Yes, professions are going to be more time intensive and potentially profitable.

But so far, the DF open world is offering far less than Legion, BfA, or even SL in terms of actual endgame gameplay and progression.

I kept hoping that a system like the 9.2 Cypher system would pop up at the last minute, but it looks like devs are running out of time.

Indeed. Ion is having another shot at his raidlogger expansion, except we have Dragonriding for the casuals instead of garrisons.

12 Likes

I suspect the idea they have in mind is

…but in practice this “nudging” doesn’t really work. Solo players don’t join guilds or play with a community - they just lose interest instead

What a strange batch of nerfs. Something similar is happening with M+… the max iLvL loot being moved up to 20s is a “shot across the bow” of the solo/casual players that hang out around the +15 range

The subtle/veiled message seems to be “we want you in a guild or playing with a premade/group of friends”

44 Likes

I suspect what Blizzard has in mind is that they served up a ton of world content, and the people screaming they wanted more world content didn’t do any of it.

So what’s the point?

Note that I did plenty of it. So do plenty of other CE raiders I know. I think we do it more than the ‘world content’ players do…

4 Likes

So if I’m not doing LFR than why the hell do I need good gear??

What is gear needed for exactly? If I don’t raid who cares?

5 Likes

how else will you prove your worth to your peers?

3 Likes

I understand your frustration but if all you do is open world stuff, you don’t really need good gear.

4 Likes

By providing good company? Well, as far as what I plan to do anyways. That be just gather, craft, help out other players and enjoy some good conversations here and there. Highest difficulty wise I at least plan to go is just Heroic Dungeons. Not much else dungeon, raid, pvp wise.

No systems is fine if that’s the only way to keep raiders from losing their minds. But even without secondary power systems, the open world can still offer basic gear progression. And no raiders would be forced to do it for downgrades.

I like to solo rares. There are also going to be multiple areas filled with elite mobs.

I will definitely need the gear, but refuse to raid just to be able to competently do the content I enjoy.

24 Likes

Eh… I sorta get that angle, but there is also the issue of alts. In BFA it was just so nice/convenient to be able to get low-effort Heroic+ quality items from casual world content on your alts :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

You mean do less content, right?

LFR takes much less time than outdoor stuff does, and there’s no point doing outdoor stuff if LFR drops equal or better gear.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t care about this if their systems didn’t demand we do that outdoor content. That’s the problem with this: we’re doing the freaking world quests no matter what. I’d prefer the rewards not blow.

9 Likes

Everybody needs good gear. Not because they need it to complete content; that is arbitrarily balanced by Blizzard. “Good gear”, or more specifically continuous gear progression, is important to everyone for the sake of a sense of progresssion.

58 Likes

Renown rewards are going to be cosmetic only. I can’t imagine why you would have to do outdoor content.

true open world players don’t play for combat power.
they play for wealth, social aspects etc.

not everything is about combat.

2 Likes

But the zones will be dead if gear upgrades are not available.

WoW can’t survive another WoD.

20 Likes

Not for all.

I despised ZM…but have no hang ups about repeated content.

Quel’danas run like clockwork in time on 3 chars daily? Sure. Did that, got the t-shirt, bag of chips and some change. Half the reason I boosted a paladin was to get a 3 rd runner up in here lol.

Quel’danas was not nearly as oppressive. Legion loops at the end of legion were not so bad. hell, they still aren’t. some paragons elude me. I will have them. One day…

Hope and fun went to ZM to die really.

KIlling the same eiltes again, and again, and again? I can do that. I crap geared to full brutal’d a rogue and DK in tbcc pre wrath.

Drek and galv died many times. many, many many many many many times. Gas ran low in the tank for the paladin. I settled for the brutal weapon and relentless armour.

rewards were worth that in tbcc to wrath. Zm…nope (for me anyway).

6 Likes