How would you finish Tyrande's story arc?

The finish Id have in mind wouldn’t make NE fans happy that’s for sure.

I’m sure Id be hired just for saying that lol

You forgot about her aiding the blood elves in warcraft 3 and then sending sentinels and and a few druids to spy on them in TBC.

4 Likes

The OP basically suggested that she becomes Night Elf Jeebus. Apparently that’s insulting now. Okay. This forum is a rational place.

3 Likes

Ideal outcome:
Tyrande continues to do stupid, ill thought out, and overall impulsive actions and it costs the life of either Maiev or Shandris, and it has a profound impact on Tyrande and snaps her out of her vengeance. She has a “redemption arc” that culminates with her and a Horde counterpart (probably Baine or Calia) offing Sylvanas for justice, rather than revenge. The rest of the expansion she just kinda fades into the background.

With that said, I think a far more likely scenario is that Tyrande succumbs to vengeance after either provoking a conflict with the Horde, or successfully/unsuccessfully planning a coup within the Alliance. She’s villainbatted, and Maiev/Shandris becomes the next racial leader. Malfurion either becomes a villain or dies in Shadowlands.

Maybe that’s because it’s just another crappy story development for the Night Elves to lose their faction leader to free the souls of her people when it was the Horde who murdered them all in the first place.

8 Likes

Why? She had zero reason to trust the Nightborne beyond stopping the legion and shutting down the Nightwell. The issue of diplomacy and alliances could have been resolved at a later time because who thought there was going to be another war so soon? Tyrande knows full well the danger that arcane wells have and the Nightborne were literally feeding on it, for Tyrande their judgment couldn’t be trusted.

They were accepted back but they were not treated any differently than Tyrande treated the Nightborne. They’ve been outcasts in society until just recently. I think the major difference despite both have made HUGE mistakes is that the Highborne were already trying to break their addiction, thanks to the horde invasion of Dire Maul before coming to Darnassus.

She was calm and level headed. Her questioning of Thalyssra was light. She says she knew where her order stood during WotA and how were they supposed to trust the she wouldn’t follow in the steps of Elisande or Azshara. Your stance makes it seem like Tyrande chose to be petty instead of helping, when that’s not the case. She worked with the Nightborne to liberate Suramar. She had her Sentinels infiltrate the city and inspire the people to fight. Tyrande delt directly with the greater threat at hand.

Despite Blizz needing to do better this is actually false. She’s gone after Malfurion twice. Once on Stormrage, thsnks to Elune telling her too and second in Val’sharah. Have you forgotten about her leading the army personally against Garrosh, fighting in SoO, willing to leave Stormwind to fight in Wot with her people from the very start, not just when Malfurion was going to fight Sylvanas. The only reason she stayed is becuase he people begged her to.

4 Likes

No, not a single Night Elf Fan is entitled to gatekeep the Night Elf fandom.

In fact I can’t imagine a worse thing for the Night Elf fandom than to let the most entitled feeling Night Elf fans control the Night Elf story.

4 Likes

When that majority change is a positive change or recieved positively by the fan base of that character and the race she represents. It hasn’t been positive and it’s only been received well by people who are fans of the Alliance over Night Elves or Humans.

Making her a Martyr by trading her “Avatar of a Goddess Soul” for all the Night Elf souls suffering in the maw is an insult when the Avatar of a Goddess could just be given the power defeat the Jailer herself or at the very least free the souls with her own power. Elune is literally the only hard confirmed religious deity when it comes to WoW’s faith systems but apparently a worshipped school of magic is stronger.

3 Likes

My answer wasn’t in the singular.

And if not a single entitled Night Elf fan can act as a gatekeeper, than a group of entitled Night Elf fans are also not allowed to gatekeep a fandom. Sorry, even if your friends agree with you, you don’t get to decide who is and is not a fan of Night Elves.

4 Likes

Majority tends to win out. I’m sorry if that upsets you. Given your character choices I’m sure you’re used to being in the minority. That must be hard.

2 Likes

Awww, you’re getting sassy, and you’re bad at it.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a toxic fan pretend to speak for a majority. I imagine you’re just like the rest, stuck in a bubble and convincing yourself that you’re in the ‘majority’ by telling yourself those who disagree with you ‘aren’t real fans.’ Here’s a “hot take,” you don’t speak for ‘the majority’ either.

Awe you edited out your fallacy. Come on that’s no fun.

Yeah, I realized I didn’t care about your opinion regarding the original post, so why open that door?

It is big of you to implicitly admit that my only “fallacy” was telling you to stay on topic, in a post where I flat out told you that your attempt to gatekeep the Night Elf fandom on behalf of a majority you never have a right to speak for makes you seem like a stereotypical toxic fan.

It’s fallacy cause I did address it. You apparently only pay attention to your own posts and replies to them.

2 Likes

Actually you didn’t. Your first post was 193 posts in and it was an attempt to gate keep feedback. The closest you came to addressing the original idea was your response to something Carmeggedon said to Kaileena on the topic of Tyrande heroically sacrificing herself being an ‘insulting proposal.’

Your counter argument was to sort of ramble for a bit about how you didn’t like Tyrande’s portrayal in BfA. Certainly valid feelings for you to feel, but unfortunately not relevant to the point you were addressing and so it would be a failure to address the original post.

You got involved in an off topic side discussion about how Tyrande’s failure to court the Nightborne was the “most realistic portrayal of her character” but unfortunately the more interesting topic of when a majority portrayal becomes standard fizzled when your only suggestion was that you get to judge which developments are positive. But this has nothing to do with the original post.

I edited out my suggestion that you try to actually address the original post because I had read the posts that you made, and on balance, I realized I didn’t need to hear your opinion.

1 Like

You’re not as thorough as you like to think.

You’re joking, right?

Like I said, I actually don’t think killing her off would be an appropriate end to her story. And FWIW, it’s not what I expect them to do.

1 Like

I think they should reference Illidan–no wait, just hear me out! I’m not saying this as a demon hunter fanboy (ok, not entirely)!

Think about it: Tyrande’s pretty much become the Avatar of Vengeance at this point. Who among Tyrande’s known acquaintances knows more about vengeance than the Betrayer himself? Maiev is a very close second, so I could see them using her instead, but I think it would be incredibly poignant if, as she’s asking, “Why did Elune abandon us,” Tyrande also looks for answers and closure not from her own husband, but from either of the two most controversial members of night elven society.

If it were to be Illidan, they wouldn’t even have to show him in the flesh; any sort of “huh, I’m just like Illidan now” or “Is this what Illidan would do” moment of self-reflection would be very powerful if handled properly.

I think those are the kinds of questions someone in Tyrande’s position has to ask herself at some point if she wants to move forward at all. Even Maiev knows that on some level, given what she said all those years ago at the Black Temple.

1 Like

If you don’t see the value in not isolating an ally in a time of war, especially a war you honestly believe you will lose, then we might as well not waste either of our time discussing this further.

Actually, my stance has been that Tyrande chose to be petty while helping, and she didn’t need to be.

It was hyperbole. Of course it’s false.

1 Like