How was this Wowhead article approved for publishing?

For all we know it could be chicken scratch or something along the lines “Me love you long time”, written in crayons, or it could be a heart with an arrow through it.

2 Likes

Perspective is very much a thing and it’s really important to take that into account and not be a complete ignoramus.

Go and find books talking about Vietnam for example. You can find books written from the viewpoint of US soldiers, and you can find books written from the viewpoint of Vietcong soldiers.

While they may discuss the same conflict, I guarantee you that you’re going to get different takes on certain events, the justifications for them etc, because their perspectives on that war are going to be vastly different.

2 Likes

Also was it just me or did him being referred to as Theron or Reagent Lord Theron rub you the wrong way? Like idk his last name is barely ever used he is Lor’themar

1 Like

I didnt say lower knowledge, dont pull a Cenk and lie about what people say.

But, if people have to be taught something, then they have lower knowledge of that thing they are being taught. If they didnt have lower knowledge there wouldnt be a point in teaching them because they would have equal or greater knowledge. There are also different tribes of trolls in WoW.

1 Like

So the now-educated Troll taught by the most important Blood-Elf alive gets basic lore facts that are foundational to the Warcraft universe wrong…despite being written by the loremaster of Warcraft Sean Copeland.

Blizzard who do not write anything subtle.

That is not perspective. That is Sean being lazy and inattentive.

1 Like

Hello, I see you replied to the thread. If you don’t like books, and based on this thread it appears many have issues with reading, I would suggest two movies: Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima! The movies were filmed at roughly the same time and are set during WW2, from the perspective of American soldiers and Japanese soldiers respectively!

Thanks for your post and have a great day!

1 Like

But the Trolls come from a world spanning empire that has declined, they are part of the horde. They are not isolated from anything.

1 Like

Wowhead is a fansite and they report news. News= stuff that happens.

I don’t really like Zekhan being illiterate at his age, but oh well. At least he learned.

Wowhead articles are very spotty and often one-sided. There was one not long ago (after the Mike Ybarra tweet on selling guild carries) that was supposedly discussing issues in boosting. It found no issues of concern to anyone about boosting. It was written by… two boosters.

1 Like

Not all tribes are part of the horde.

1 Like

Not really relevant to this discussion though.

Oh god, humanity is sinking :man_facepalming:

This is where you made your mistake.

This book is not an encyclopaedia. It is not written as a factual manifesto. It is written from Zekhan’s perspective, using the knowledge Zekhan has access to. He is a young troll, who was until recently illiterate. He does not know what certain words mean.

The same can be said for Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms, which is written from the perspective of Matthias Shaw. He as an educated spymaster, gets a lot of his knowledge correct, but it is very much ‘pro-Alliance’ because of course it is, both Matthias Shaw and Flynn Fairwind are part of the Alliance.

If this was an encyclopaedia, written not in a specific perspective, but as a factual treatise on the state of Kalimdor after the 4th war, then such mistakes would be far less acceptable.

3 Likes

Also zekhan could be referring to “higher/in depth learning” I’m sure he has plenty of basic knowledge but even the trolls use a different base language (not orcish) so he could be learning the other horde languages AND if you never had to write before, you wouldn’t be skilled at it.

After all he is pretty young, especially compared to other lore figures. As long as they don’t ruin the him and talanji + bwonsamdi dynamic he has I don’t mind

1 Like

Sure it is. Especially when you are lumping them all together by just saying trolls.

1 Like

Replies have been coming in so fast on this thread I was genuinely worried I would never reach the end because it seemed to be growing faster than I’m able to read.

Some folks want the portrayal of fictional characters/races to favorably portray the real-world people/races that inspired them, as though the fiction is required to play out as “fan-fiction”.

Some folks want the portrayal of fictional characters/races to stand on their own regardless of whatever or whomever the original source of inspiration is.

Personally, I’m a fan of the latter. I find a world-building story becomes bland if it tries to elevate everyone and everything to a homogenous melting pot of sameness. I find that Zekhan becoming literate is an interesting character development, not an insulting one.

Why did Sean choose to write Zekhan the way he wrote him? Why did he choose to have racial stereotypes and bigotry play a central role in a Horde story? Why choose to write all of the Horde characters, even Gazlowe, in the worst way possible?

Why is it only the Horde that gets this treatment?

Ask Sean, I can’t answer that question. I didn’t write the book.

All I can tell you is that this book is written from the perspective of Zekhan, using knowledge that Zekhan has access to. Which will be wrong at certain times, and that’s fine, because he’s not writing an encyclopaedia, he’s essentially writing a damn journal as he travels Kalimdor with his Orc friend.

3 Likes

We’re still talking about Zekhan.

I think the main problem is that with the Alliance story the writers are much more familiar and comfortable with the traditions that inspire those races, and so they have an easier time with them and do a better job.

It’s been pretty obvious for a while that they are not as comfortable and familiar with the inspirations behind many of the horde races, so they tend not to concentrate much on them or they don’t feel as good as the alliance equivalents. I have a feeling that inspriation may come from adventure stories like the ones behind Indiana Jones and such, and that there might not have been enough forethought put in to think about the older prejudiced viewpoints that showed up in many of them in a sort of patronizing manner.

1 Like